Release 68 Lot Permissions Update

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Lord Subtleton, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

So... what you're saying is all the people that have rooms in my Inn can go move everything all over the place now? I found the permissions on deco one of the harder things to master in the game and now I'm paranoid.

Maybe I missed something but why are items placed in my POT now set to Kindred? Who's Kindred to my POT? /em goes back to the OP and rereads...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Duke Olahorand likes this.
  2. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Due to the migration from the old to the new system all previously tenant-mode placed items becomes shared to kindred level (or above) with the tenant as the item owner. In the case you added your guests to the inn as kindred + tenant-mode, all your guests are able to take other gusts items. And not only move. I hope you have locked the doors to the rooms, so no guest can walk into another ones room.

If this a "share nothing" inn (no vendor and no container sharing) it is the easiest to give the guests the new tenant access level, this allows them to place and move their own items but not foreign items. And tell your guests to set all their belongings to private. (Decoration: Remove or Modify, Container: Take Contents). After that, your guests items are as secure as they where before. The new tenant access level is below kindred access level. Changing your guest to this level revokes access to kindred (or above) items.

3. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Agree that the permissions system has some complexity. Have you had a chance to read the player guide section on deco permissions? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub#h.f39625vcp1uk It goes into some details you won't see in the this post.

Players with Tenant access can only move decorations that they placed. Most of the rule changes apply to plots, not the POT itself. Players must have Steward access in order to move things on the POT (shared area) -- same as last release.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

@Lord Subtleton
    - Please add the tenant access level to Vendor Add Listing, Container Add Contents and Container Take Contents. To allow sharing vendors and containers with tenants only and not with the whole planet (by using public access level for containers).
    - Please add the public access level to Vendors. To allow to share Vendors with the public if desired.
    - Please add public and tenant to 'Decoration: Remove and modify'. To allow foreigners and our guests to take this item. People not added to the lot shouldn't be able to change access settings. (In Adventure Scenes and NPC Towns items can also be taken). This setting is may also usable for user driven quest. (Find item X and send/bring it to Y)
    - Please add guest, tenant, trustee and co-owner access level to Decoration Move. That allows a finer control who is allowed to move items around. May only the ones that are helping decorate the lot are allowed to move decoration.
    - Please add who can use a item (Remote Bank Device, Mailbox, Radio, etc). Currently the "can use permission" is set to guest (or above). It would be nice if we are able to set it to public or any other access level.

The most current problem is, that we can not share with tenant access level (no vendor, no container, no planting bed). The least level that allows sharing is kindred. But kindred are also allowed to move everything around. There is no way to set access level / item permission in a way to prevent moving decorations around _and_ to share things with tenants. The tenant access level is missing on vendors, container and items (like planting beds).

5. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

The above post by Catweazle summarizes nicely what is missing in order to make this permission system work. Please consider adding these suggestions, and the system will be really useful and better than what we had before.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

THIS. All these changes, and I still can't hide an item for people to find and take unless I stick in a container. (Though, at least now I can use any container; it's much easier to hide a bag behind a tree than a giant Public Access Chest.)

7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

So exactly what special function does Public Access Chests provide now and how does this fulfill their pricing?

8. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

People who have replenishing boxes out in public places may want to doublecheck their settings too. Saw a few yesterday that didn't use to be publicly interact-able that suddenly would let strangers take the contents.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Is there a reason we cannot have the lock-down ability? It really would help to be able to right click an item to lock it down instead of having such a complicated permission system. Thank you really for all you do but it would be wonderful to have ability to lock down items.

Another big reques is to make the little bags sell-able and content view-able (even if it is a list and not pictures) on vendors. I'm not asking for bag mode since that decision was made already a long time ago. I am just asking for the little bags we have in game to be dye-able and sellable on our vendors. Non-Tradeable bags limits our abilities to create and put unique sets of items on our vendors for sale when we don't have that ability. Please consider this an important request. It really would make looking at vendors more interesting to see which sets of items they have for sale.

Also I do create songs sets in bags with different parts of the songs in different bags to sync songs in a group.
    I don't want these sheet music removed since we re-use them each time a group plays. We just type the title of the song in the bag like /play somebody to love harp sync and then in another bag it might have this part that types like this /play somebody to love flute sync. Each bag has those song parts and I cannot give them to players since we cannot trade a bag with items in them. I do however put them in a cache chest to take for themselves and hope they never remove the songs from that bag and just type the sheet music title and sync commands. So again trade-able bags would make some things so much easier but at least for me trading songsets I did find a way ;). Hopefully I don't sound like a total nag when I repeat over and over 'Please don't remove the songs from the bags. We just leave that opened to type from".

10. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

@majoria70 Did you listen to ... I think it was Friday's?... stream? I believe they solved that second problem for you -- you still can't trade containers with something in them, but you can leave songs lying around in the open, not movable, but people will still be able to play from them. Of course, leaving lots of songs lying around at the same time would get pretty messy, but people on the stream were exclaiming about being able to try music before you buy it now, so it sounded like that would help your use-case, if via a different method.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I did but you cannot sync a song that is not in your inventory anyway. You have to be in a group to sync a song and everyone prepares their song part by typing the song title and syncing commands with that from the sheet music that is in their inventory. So it is a different thing. I am very happy about the addition for anyone to be able to click on sheet musics to play them since I do have a concert hall named School of Rock. That makes it so I can scatter songs themed to individual situations all over. Thank you for your contribution to the conversation. :)

Bedawyn likes this.
  12. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding! I know most players don't have the time to listen to streams as often as I've been lately, so I'd rather be wrong than fail to help someone when I might have. :)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No worries and I did just figure you have not sync'd a song with anyone yet since you like to role-play and solo from what I have read of your threads. If you ever want to step out for a few moments I will be happy to show you how it is done. I think it is amazing.

Jaesun and Bedawyn like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And public use for these items.

Agree on the rest, good list.

15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I just read the patch notes these days. Too many streams to watch to keep current. And occasionally watch Lunch with Laz and Jack. When I can that is.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Lord Subtleton

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the new permissions system -- especially those of you who joined us on the QA server. This switch-over was the culmination of over 4 months of behind-the-scenes work, including technical changes that touched every system involved with lot and towns, and affected in a substantial way the design of lot and item permissions. We couldn't have done it without your help. Though I don't respond to every post, I've read every one of them in detail. During the week following the release, these features were added:
    • Vendors now have an access list, so you can now share your vendor without having to give lot access.
    • New option in Lot Permissions UI - "Strict Deco Move Permission", which ties the ability to move a decoration to having permission to take it.
    There were many good suggestions posted here. We will take these into consideration, and address them in later releases as time permits. Next release we build on this foundation with some features we think you'll really like. Follow the live streams more details on that. https://www.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Lord Subtleton Thanks for the hard work. Any chance those features might include being able to see other peoples "Deco move" brush? The green one we see when we're moving things? That will solidify games and just be super helpful in general.

18. Lord Subtleton

I see the value there, especially for decorations marked for "Public" move access. There are some technical challenges to making that happen - as currently all of the UI activity related to moving an item is client-side only until the decoration is actually dropped into place. Great idea though. Currently competing with a lot of other feature requests and bugs that still need to be addressed. Like gust-ball sync between clients.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  19. Lained

Lained Avatar

Is there a technical reason for limiting vendor access to ten avatars?

20. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

That is the same UI as for doors. I do not know why there is a limit to 10 avatars.
    There was/is a request for doors also to allow more then 10 entries.
    +1 for more entries (or unlimited)

@Lord Subtleton
    Thanks for the "Strict Deco Move Permission" setting. This solves the most current problem. With this the new permission behaves like the old one. So we can share (nearly) like it was.
    But still want to see the tenant access level on containers, vendors and items. And also the public access level :)

If the door / vendor permission UI would allow more then 10 entries i be happy to move the ones that should only have vendor access from lot access list to vendor access list.

OT: shutters allow to set them to always open, but they are always open by default. Either shutters should be closed by default or the setting should be always closed.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.