Remaking the Character Sheet

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Mangar, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangar

Mangar Avatar

The current "Character Sheet" (C on Keyboard) is a meek and undeveloped attempt. There are many hidden values being tracked about your character, as wonderful as this is they are being kept HIDDEN.

Now I know that maybe NOT all the values should be broadcasted, but definitely ALOT more than the current state. I am also aware that our Supreme Leader Lord British, wants us to experience euphoria and just play the game for its experience and wonder. I can appreciate this but it just doesn't hold up to the older and more serious crowd. I would even argue that the person who just started, would ALSO like to know more on how they are progressing, it's just a human thing to follow numbers.

So here are some of the Values I would like the developers to consider.

1. Level of Character (I can't believe I even need to put this in)

2. Elemental Resistances (As we can see our Physical Resistance I would also like to know what is my current Fire or Death is.)

3. Next to each Stat (Str, Dex, Int) please indicate the follow as it applies to each stat

a) Strength

(Health receiving from current Str)

(% increase to carrying capacity from current Str)

(Inc to physical damage from current Str)

(% increase to resist to immobilizing effects from current Str)

(% chance increase to parry attack if applicable from current Str)

(% chance increase to block an attack if using a shield from current Str)

b) Dexterity

(% chance increase to Dodge from current Dex)

(% chance increase to Hit from current Dex)

(% chance increase to land a physical Critical hit from current Dex)

c) Intelligence

(Increase to Focus from current Int)

(Increase to magic damage from current Int)

(% chance increase to land a critical hit w/ magic attack from current Int)

4. This is more of a addition to Skill icons, please indicate on each attack skill the % to Crit with it.

Now this would a great start and would give us food for thought as we play, the idea that we should NOT worry about this info, is a bit insulting to our intelligence.

I am also aware that one can download a 3rd party program and track some of these Values, but c'mon we should not need to perform such shenanigans.

Sir Richard (We Spoke about this, briefly), Berek, DarkStarr, & Chris please consider.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

I agree.. We should not have to rely on a third party program to get this info.
    I have never figured out why we should not know what lvl our character is. I liked the way it was way back when we had the adventure bar and the crafting bar at bottom of the screen.

3. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Just casting my vote for saying I like it the way it is. People who want to juggle stats can do so with third-party systems (websites, add-ons, etc), and those who don't don't have to wade through a giant pile of tool-tip data that doesn't make sense to them (since we don't know the combat algorithms). Same with level--doesn't impact my decisions, so don't need to know it. Just one gamer's opinion.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like your ideas except first one doesn't really fit. Our characters are not really a level. Different skills are different levels achieved from using. Like a skill could be level 100 and another could be level 10. So I guess if every single skills were at 100 you might like to say I have a skill level 100 character. Oh well I am pretty use to it since we changed to skill use based quite a while ago and Just imo. ;)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Necrothaftis

Necrothaftis Avatar

I totally agree that the game needs a character sheet which brings together the various attributes the game offers through the leveling system and gearing. Its just plain dumb not having one, and anyone supporting that it's ok as is, is either dumb or doesn't have a clue how to build an avatar. Just another reason why SotA is un-launchable IMO. Not everyone will excuse inferior workmanship just because Sir Richard is involved and he represents a halcyon time when we were carefree playing UO while living at mum's on a dial up modem. The modern customer just don't give a shiet!

Weins201 likes this.
  6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I would also like to have easy access to more stats in game for two reasons:
    1. I do a lot of bug hunting - It would be very helpful to have each attribute shown with the total and the break-down of each element that contributes to that total. This would make it much easier to determine if a particular attribute is bugged. For example, viewing extended stats would show:

46 = TOTAL STRENGTH
      23 = Base strength
      +6 = long sword of giasm
      +2 = Shield
      +1 = plate helm
      +10 Bullwork of earth
      +4 Inner strength

40% = Total Fire Resistance
      +20% Fire proof
      +10% plate chest with ward gem
      +10% Douse

2. I believe I can more effectively build my avatar if I can see how various things contribute to a given attribute - As it stands now, I have no idea of the relative impact a particular skill/buff has on a given attribute. Examples:

Fire resistance: My Fireproof is +40 fire resistance. +40 what? Is that 40 percent? Or is it 40 points of some arbitrary unit? And how does that compare to my 10% fire resistance in douse?

Blades Damage: Bladed Combat shows increased damage by a percent, and Blade Mastery shows increased damage by an absolute number. For Blade Mastery at level 90, I get "+1.1 weapon damage". Is that + 1.1 percent damage, + 1.1 hit points of damage, or a 1.1 factor in a damage calculation? If it means that I deliver 1.1 extra HP of damage with each sword strike, then this skill is a poor use of XP.
    So basically, I have no idea which skill is better to level up and which skills to use in a given situation since I cannot tell how each of these contributes to the total attribute. If extended stats were easily accessible in game, I could more effectively bug-test and more effectively level my avatar's skills.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

It would appear, according to @Necrothaftis that I am just dumb, or have no idea how to build an avatar. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that the development team has better things to do than provide you with irrelevant data Necrothaftis.

8. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah that would be nice since I use Air's Embrace and also use the two innates to increase crit chance (Vital Points and Armor Weak Points) with blades.

Weapons also matter like using a bow made with Supple Leather bowstrings.

9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I don't understand why this info isn't currently viewable ingame.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You know, you had me at the first sentence and then you lost me in the garbage after that. This would have had a whole lot more meaning if it was more constructive.

Rennik and Rinaldi like this.
  11. Popinjayzee

Popinjayzee Avatar

I agree with Mangar, the character screen has next to no information on it. His suggestions would help people understand the game mechanics better and make the game more understandable for new starters.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

The more numbers you display, the more players are inclined to make decisions based on those numbers rather than making decisions based on what they want to play.

How did you come to that conclusion?

13. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

+1 for us number crunchers. This information is a must for strategizing character development.

fonsvitae likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Take a moment to reflect on "why" do you need to see these numbers.

In D&D (as old school as you can get), you HAD to see the numbers because your brain had to compute the numbers to determine how a particular action turned out. Did the DM ever tell you exactly how much HP the enemies had? No; at best, he'd tell you that your enemy is "injured". But he did tell you how much XP you'd get because you had to write that on your character sheet. You had to know how much HP you had so that you could tell when you were dead or dying. You had to know how much STR you had because it influenced your dice roll. Etc.

The moment you put that in a computer, the need to see that information suddenly disappears and it merely becomes a matter of "tradition". You don't need to know how much STR you have, you should be able to see how strong you are by gameplay alone. You EXPECT to see the numbers because no RPG ever thought of questioning the status quo... because it's all essentially based off D&D.

It's an illusion that's holding RPGs back from their true potential.

P.S. - age's got nothing to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.