Reminder: Its not a full featured MMO, its a story-driven game with an MMO-like hot mess attached.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jekyll, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

So what's next? Episode 2 of course. Will they ever flourish it up into a feature-rich MMO experience? Dunno, but I think some people are still tripping up without remembering this subtle distinction as to what the big idea is.

I think this game is about creating new concepts, and developing new tech to correspond with the concepts.

Every 2/3 threads is about why the devs aren't doing this or that.. Well, they also have their hands full and are spinning lots of plates.

Ken Parallax out

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Cool story bro...:) I’m only here because of UO. That’s the honest truth, but I’ve found other reasons to stay and now I want to see what they end up creating outta this.

3. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I guess you could say we'd like them to stop spinning certain plates, and then put them away in the cupboard. This is understandable to me, too, brass knuckles because I am also from UO. I played mostly on Pacific before 2nd age.

parallax out!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am also a long time UO player. I started in beta and lasted 10 years. I know a lot of people who were UO players feel let down by SotA but I see lots of similarities. I much preferred the original UO with full loot completely open PvP except for towns. But I also stayed through the great divide when they had trammel and felucca. So that is where I will start with my comparison:

1) Both UO and SotA is an open world do what you want experience. You can enjoy SotA and never complete the quests and story. I have close to 3K hours in Sota and I only recently completed the story (only did it for the village lot deed).

2) Both UO and SotA have strong communities. Sure the size of SotA's is significantly smaller then UO but the quality of creative player events is still there. It is amazing how in both games players can take the minimal tools given to them and create some cool and fun stuff.

3) The majority of PvE content in both games is soloable. Until Champ Spawns were added to UO, it was common that individuals farmed all the high end farm spots by themselves.

4) The bulk of group activity in UO and SotA is either social events or PvP. I know people want cool PvP stuff added to the game but lets be real there were zero PvP mechanics in UO other then what the players and guilds started. I mean most of us fought at Moongates (usually Yew) or at Bucs Den, outside of enemy guilds houses, or over popular dungeons or mining locations.

5) Both games allowed players to be PvE only or open to PvP. Hench Trammel and Felucca.

So in shroud I feel like I got much of what I loved in UO plus some things new:

A) Much more complex combat system in SotA compared to UO

B) Much better crafting system (even with the bugs) in SotA compared to UO.

C) Better housing system in SotA compared to UO

I did say at the beginning of my post that I do miss full loot open world PvP and some of you might as why. The reason is simple, in such a ruthless world it required people to join guilds if nothing else to protect each other. All these years later I am super tight with my guildmates from UO, we have since moved on to other games or even stopped gaming all together but we still stay connected through forums, facebook, and skype. Why I mention that is not because I am someone who is like SotA should be that way, it is to point out that that is really the only thing I see differently from my glory days of UO. After the Trammel/Felucca split it kinda feels a lot like the current PvP system in SotA.

Jason_M, Gravidy, John Markus and 2 others like this.
  5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I played all the ultima's and UO which is why I picked this game. I loved the idea behind UO with making everything and building as well the adventures. I think this game has a lot of UO in it short of the Open PVP stuff which was on the server I played. Do I miss the open PVP not so much but it did add an element to the play that is for sure. That said I really would like to see more PVP options I like Antrax's thread for his PVP ideas which would imo complete what is needed.

The rest of the game I loo forward mainly to more and more content, We need more reasons to go into scenes other then farming mobs, need scenes to have loot that attracts as well min bosses which are now making its way in. Look forward to everything cheers.

Elwyn and Boris Mondragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.