Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remove Interrupts

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris

Until you offer a counter to being interrupted, remove them. What we have is essentially a boxing game where there's no defense against a right cross. You just have to continuously get hit with a right cross as many times as your computer opponent decides to throw it.

Please remove interrupts or figure out a way to make them challenging without being completely random and indefensible.

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Net likes this.
  2. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

Unsure if this is intended or not, but Shield of Air prevents interrupts that come from damage.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The only time I have ever seen interrupt prevention was the priest shield in wow. I am not sure there should be any. Casting while moving more than compensates for that.

4. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Think it's the only counter to casters. Just sucks more for hydrids/facetanking

5. Drocis the Devious

That's not a valid counter because it drains your focus and is difficult to turn off. Thus if you're being attacked and you don't want to be interrupted, you're essentially interrupting yourself for a limited time by casting that spell.

It would be like if I said you could block something with your shield only if you first completely stopped attacking someone. But the moment you attack you can't block again. The trade off doesn't make any sense.

The problem is that the only thing that stops you from being interrupted is if you take zero damage. Which is a lot like saying if you don't get attacked you won't get interrupted. Wow, what a counter!

No, there is no viable counter that makes sense. Air Shield is not a good example, unfortunately.

This is the entire reason you have to build your combat system from the ground up with the idea that nothing is "unblockable" and everything should have a viable counter. Because otherwise you get into situations where there's an "i win" button and everyone has to use the same build to be successful.

@Chris

One more thing. The idea of lower level spells not being interrupted makes sense until you realize that there's no counter to interrupts. Then it just makes lower level spells the best spells because they don't have a casting time, they can't be interrupted, they don't cost reagents, and they generally cost the least amount of focus.

The whole thing doesn't make any sense and it's frustrating for a number of reasons that I won't go into because it will just make people upset and I don't want anyone to confuse the point - I'd much rather just have a good game that gets the fixes it needs.

I know you understand. But what I don't know is why you don't fix it? I just don't get why we're not adding counters to all this stuff, making all the spells require reagents, and adjusting focus drains and casting times so that there's more of a pay off (but more risk) for higher level spell casting (and stacking).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  6. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

Didn't meditation in UO make it harder for a spell to be interrupted? I can't remember it's been too long. How about a passive skill to resist interrupt in the focus tree? Similar to stun resist in the heavy tree.

docdoom77, Chatele and Tahru like this.
  7. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I fight undead a lot as a life mage. Boy do I get interupted all the time. When fighting multiple mage liches I'm interupted more than I actually get a spell off it seems.

I thought stun resistance in the shield and heavy armor tree would help counter it, but that was sure a waste of experience and time to figure out. (It doesn't help)

Mitara likes this.
  8. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Not sure why this is a issue, yes if you take damage your spell is interruptible, If you train the skill that are available in the game on the defensive side of things, you have plently of chances of not being interrupted, Dodge, evasion, Defensive stance, Might think about a shield, that opens up a hole lot more skills to assist in not getting interrupted.
    I been playing a mage build and don't see it as a problem.
    Stack fast short spells in your deck, but them big whoppers, ya they need to be interrupted.

marthos likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

You don't see the problem yet you're offering the solution. That's not a good way to argue anything.

The idea that if you take ONE point of damage you can't get a spell off that has a casting time AND there's no counter to that is a poor design.

I play a real mage, I know what I'm doing. This is not a good design. It needs changed.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I could support diminishing returns on interrupts, but I don't support any method of outright preventing them. Casters are usually over powered, interrupting a caster is a matter of life and death. But I do agree that interrupt spamming is ridiculous. Perhaps, it could be handled similar to stun. Once interrupted, cannot be interrupted again for 3 seconds.

Matt Harris and Snikorts like this.
  11. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

The Counter would be to train in the Defensive skills to avoid taking the damage, which will lower the amounts of interrupts we as caster take. will it remove them 100%, no, but will lower the amount of times it happens.

But what are you suggesting as a counter,,,, beside removing interrupts,
    allowing mages to sit back and blast away at will with absolutely no way of stopping them,

I would love to walk into a area and spam chain lighting, till I'm out of focus..... loot and be on my way.
    that's a little over powered.

Being interrupted is and always has been part of playing a mage. causing us to master timing, spell selection, all depends on your game play PVP or Pvm, the list goes on.
    but I cant think of a game were a mage not being able to get interrupted

Tahru likes this.
  12. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

That's something that may be a step into the right direction. but 3 seconds may be too dam long, would have to be tested to see.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

I have no problem with the concept of being interrupted, I have a problem with the concept that it can't be countered. That you just have to deal with it.

The idea that the counter is to train in something like dodge is false. That's not a counter to being interrupted it's a counter to being hit (sometimes).

To not be interrupted at all you have to take ZERO damage. That's a bit of a tall order for any player, isn't it? When's the last time you took ZERO damage? Exactly, that's not how this game is played. So it's effectively an impossible ask of any player. That's why this is a poor design. You have a system where you can't take ZERO damage but that's the only way you'll not get interrupted.

14. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Honestly I feel that the interrupts system in this game is currently boring. People keep saying that being interrupted is part of playing a mage; That's true, but what game has interrupts when you take damage? None that I can think of. What should really happen is having a class of skills that when used interrupts the caster. This would give a counter to casters and still allow casters to have counter-play. I think the way stunning works and cancels casting is the way to go.

On a side note has anyone else noticed interrupting not actually working properly? For instance I have noticed when casting lightning/chain lightning if the spell gets interrupted half way through and I wait a moment the skill does actually finish executing.

~Woden

15. Drocis the Devious

I have not noticed interrupts not working properly, but perhaps that's because I don't use chain lightning.

And yes, right on there should be a skill that interrupts not a magic if you do any damage you completely lock down a spell caster. (not in this DPS system that we have)

And BTW I've been saying this since like release 10.

16. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Is not being able to get interrupted for a mage, because of the use of a counter, Not a tall order? as I said that would make me WAY OP....

Now also are you talking in PVP or PVM or just in general.

17. Drocis the Devious

You're missing the point. The system is not balanced.

Both.

18. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@Wodin Folkvardr
    All my casters in WOW, I played Pally, Priest, Warlock, and Sharmen, were all interrupted when I took damage,,,, DOTS sucked, and there was a bleed that was a nightmare also,
    All my Mages in UO, I hade 3 5x 120Skill Mages, 8 mages over all, and they all got interrupted all the time even with skill that were debuffs, and didn't even do damage, like curse,

I Have noticed that I get my chain lighting interrupted pretty easily, I just start a recast if its up on another key or cast a different spell, I have not noticed being able to finish a cast after being interrupted.

19. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Interruptions are not working properly at all. I have noticed this while taming creatures and being interrupted and still successfully tame the creature. I have also notice this with heal spells where i cast a heal and it gets interrupted but I still get off the heal. There are other skills that I have noticed interruptions not working which is why it leaves me to believe interruptions are broken.

20. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Remove interrupts - No. That's silly talk.

Reactive skill that provides a short term immunity to interrupts - Plausible. Perhaps something like a high end instant cast skill that when used within 1.5 seconds of being interrupted provides interrupt immunity for ((80+skill lvl)/40)) seconds (2 seconds when trained, 3 seconds at lvl 40, 4 seconds at lvl 80, 4.5 seconds at GM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.