Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remove Interrupts

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+ 1 for "Dont remove".

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You may want to try your skill against things other than Patriarch Bears.

Also, you're wrong, it's not just special attacks that are clearly telegraphed.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  3. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Excatly what I was saying, the counters to interrupts are to train up some Defensive skills so you don't get hit in the first place,,,, Been that way in every game I ever played. But the post I quoted says it all.

marthos likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I won't debate other game's mechanics with you. But please think about what you just said...

So let's be very clear here...the counter is to not get hit in the first place? Wouldn't that be the counter to all things in this game? It's like if you're playing football and you say "our strategy is to get more points than the other team."

That's not a counter, it's a winning condition. But beyond that, you're also saying that if I were not getting interrupted as a mage I would be too powerful. While at the same time you're saying that the counter is to not get hit so you don't get interrupted. :confused:

It's like if you go to the doctors office and tell them "it hurts when I do this" and they say "well don't do that'. Gee thanks!

Do you see how absurd this is now? That's the entire problem with what people in this thread are suggesting, if a real mage could stop themselves from being hit all the time it would be "OP" but the solution is to not get hit all the time by skilling up. That's not a counter, it's a "best build" which is why this game is all about hybrids and there's very little variety.

@Chris It needs fixed and if they're going to putz around release after release doing nothing about it then they should at least remove the interrupts until they figure out what they're going to do to fix it.

And if they're not going to fix it and this is "intended" well then I guess we're all just going to be hybrid mages and won't that be fun. (read: won't that be the dumbest waste of my time)

5. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

You and I played different versions of WoW then. In WoW casters suffered spell knock back, not interruption when taking damage.

The problem with interrupt on damage is that it's random, boring, and thoughtless. Instead of casters having to prevent interruption it should be reversed in that you should be actively trying to prevent casting. This makes the game more interesting and allows player skill to actually take effect (This is both for PVM and PVP). Casters and Melee alike should have abilities that can interrupt casts.

Unfortunately the combat system currently is lack luster... It's literally just mash your skills and stick on your target, there is no thought behind combat. I think the reactive skills they added in recently were a good step, but I think some core fundamentals are still missing.

~Woden

6. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So there is a counter to interrupts. It is called wearing armor. Wearing heavy armor gives a chance to avoid interrupt like it should. Wearing cloth should not. If you are wearing cloth then there should be advantages and disadvantages over heavy armor. The advantage is maneuverability via fizzle chance and speed/dodge via passive. The disadvantage is you get slapped around more when hit. The system is fine as it is.

If you want a practical example. Give some people nerf balls and have them throw them at you while you give a speech. Your flinches are the interrupts.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  7. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Also interrupt is on a different roll than knockback. When in heavy armor there is an avoidance check for both knock back and interrupt. I have been knocked back by bears and still had spell effects finish. Once again, this should be an advantage of actually wearing armor.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

getting interrupted isnt random. i play a melee char with some casting, and i used to get interrupted constantly. then i figured out how to time my longest spells in between my opponents attacks, and i dont often get interrupted (except by bears!).

marthos and Tahru like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Your sig is very phallic.

Tahru and Wodin Folkvardr like this.
  10. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Not all attacks interrupt, only some attacks will actually successfully interrupt you, that's exactly what random means. Your statement is equal to "Interrupting isn't random, when I'm not taking damage I don't get interrupted." Which is obvious, and I weave between attacks if I'm only fighting a few foes or they all are attacking at the same time, it's just common sense really.

Loading all of these "mechanics" into armor is boring and not very thoughtful, also there is nothing anywhere that I've seen that states "Heavy armor gives +50 concentration lessening your chance to be interrupted".

I honestly don't care, my opinion is give the power to the player instead of stacking on all these "hidden" stats and mechanics on armor that essentially act as passives. It does make for interesting combat, everything is currently face tank mob, if you're strong enough they die, if not you die. No skill is really involved, it's all about stat calculation.

~Woden

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I voted for Kodos.

Additionally, I'd prefer something a bit more than mind over matter as a mitigation strategy in this game.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I must say that these spell interrupts are VERY annoying :( My offensive spells are being interrupted about 2/3 of the time now (because of all the hits I am taking...and heavy armor is NOT a viable option for an archer/mage :confused:) and my arrows are not dishing out sufficient damage to compensate for that (when they hit, that is...still seems to be missing far too often now as a result of the most recent patches...:confused:) o_O As a result, I am dying far more frequently now...in EVERY 3-5 skull area I visit :eek:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I have found that lower cast-time spells does mitigate interrupts, and I play a spellsword. I usually have 3-5 things beating on me. Spells in the lower levels of the skill trees have interrupt problems more than the cheaper ones.

14. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO) had spell interrupts on taking damage. They also had a skill though called Concentration to reduce your chance of being interrupted based on a d20 roll +ConcentrationSkill. You were rolling against 10+DamageTaken.

So if a monster hit you for 30 damage, and you had a Concentration score of 25, then the save you need to make is a total roll of 40. If you roll a d20 and get 15 plus your concentration skill for a total of 40, then you avoid interruption. If instead you rolled a 14 plus your concentration skill for a total of 39, then the damage you just took would interrupt you. All of this die rolling was done in the background of the game since it was an action game rather than being turn based like normal D&D.

This game could use something similar where the chance for you to be interrupted is based on how much damage you take and your skill level in a new "concentration" skill or whatever they decided to name it. Being unable to avoid interrupts in any way despite the power of your character is bad design. Especially when fighting 2 or 3 archers or more who will constantly interrupt your spells.

As a "real" Earth mage, I disagree with this statement. Earth benefits from strength, so it just makes sense to use a chainmail chest since it gives you access to Endurance and Inner Strength.

I did used to be an Air mage in all cloth however.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im actually really confounded as to why this is an issue and why we would go to the extreme of removing them. Some builds (melee especially) actually absolutely *NEED* them to compete what-so-ever in PvP. Ya, this is silly talk.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am a simple melee build, leaving the intelligent to play mage. I do have a question that may be pertinent though. What if spell casting depended on a trigger? One could activate the spell, let it time out till fully charged and then trigger the hit sometime after with a keystroke. In the meantime, no other skills could be activated until the charged skill is released. This would allow for some strategy and might satisfy the OP.

17. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Wrestling..

18. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Level 3, just saying ^^

19. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

As an ice mage, my ice arrows get interrupted more than any of my other arrow spells. I have dodge, escape and high acrobatics. I am training parry now to see if that helps. I have started leveling earth since fire was nerfed even tho it was already too low damage for my taste. My obsidian arrows get interrupted less than my ice arrow even tho my ice tree has 122 attune...you'd think high skill and int would help but it doesn't.

I've been begging for a concentration spell for mages to help with interrupt if pure skill isn't going to be a thing to help...

20. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Hmmm.... am I just not fighting the right opponents to be seeing constant interrupts?

I am primarily a mage, though I facetank with a shield and support spells. I do occasionally get interrupted. If I want to avoid that for sure, I pop Evasion, Dodge, and if I have it Shield of Ice and then cast my important spell I don't want interrupted. I also keep a couple close range insta-cast spammer spells to use when things are in my face and try to prioritize casting my timed spells before or during pull as much as able.

Really though, pure mages should be very vulnerable to interrupts at close range. Doesn't make sense if we get the best AoE, great Ranged, and suffer little close range drawback. Nobody should be the best at everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.