Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remove Maneaters?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Cear Dragon, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

What are everyones thoughts on getting rid of the maneaters in Grunvald Shardfall?

Personally I find it pretty miserable trying to pvp there. The maneaters are already pretty strong and the range on their attack is massive. That combined with the root ability of the attack had I find just interferes with pvp more than anything.

Budner likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Short version:
    No

Long version:
    Noooooooooo

Very long version:
    The shardfalls should be dangerous places. There should be more crazy stuff lurking there, not less.
    Getting to know the local territory and use it to your advantage should be in any good PvPrs toolbox.
    Drawing the enemy to make the mistake being too close to a maneater is part of the fun in that scene.

KuBaTRiZeS, Net, Duke Raas and 5 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not sure what the pvp vision is yet. Right now, today, I agree with the OP. There's no point to having the super powerful mobs in there since there's no resources and no meaning to any of it.

Over time I could see how it might make things more challenging, but my concern would be that those mobs would become an impossible hurdle for solo players and a slow speed bump for grouped players.

Budner likes this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree with OP, at least nerf the maneasters until, as Baron Drocis says, some rares/resources are put in the area. Without those it detracts too much from the PvP experience.

5. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I find the challenge of avoiding the maneaters to be fun. As Spoon noted, making an opponent move into the range of one of these is an added element to the fight. Knowing the lay of the land over your opponent is a tremendous advantage.

Spoon, 4EverLost and Vyrin like this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am amused by those who say non-PvP players should be forced into PvP as risk equals rewards, but then turn around and say the risk of PvP around the maneaters is too much.

Confused by mixed signals. Personally, I REALLY like them (though they do kinda put a hard limit on the minimum level you can be to survive there). There are plenty of safe paths around those cute little plants and it makes luring someone who doesn't know the safe routes kinda fun. It also gives a "safe" escape if you need to run as the person chasing you isn't careful.

7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Since monsters are no risk, I say leave 'em in.

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It's not a matter of risk. It's a matter of an external element that is overpowered perverting the purity of PvP.

Admittedly you can go PvP somewhere else and avoid the maneaters, so the game provides a solution to this.

BUT the shardfall has become THE PvP area for the game. It is important for the game, and in the current configuration, without rares/goodies, the maneaters serve no purpose other than to detract from PvP.

If I happen to maneuver someone who's vastly better than me in PvP into a maneater, and he dies because of the maneater, that's not PvP. That's PvE.

9. Drocis the Devious

Good one.

The funniest part about this is how twisted the logic is though. What people do in the Shardfalls is they don't go near the plants and PVP away from them. They're annoying, they're not very risky. At level 5 I could run around and get the tour guide hat even though I could be killed in three shots from a plant.

So ha ha, I get it. But please let's keep it real here. You can't run around at level 5 against other players, you can't just stand around in a "no risk" area to avoid other players. PVP and PVE are significantly different. It doesn't help to ignore facts, it just makes it harder to come up with good solutions.

Here's me getting owned by a player (an actual risk) just outside the range of any plants.

The OP is suggesting (and I agree) that it would be nice to have the WHOLE map to play on, and not just the non-annoying respawn areas (deviod of plants) to run around and have more interesting PVP battles. Not because plants are risky, but because they're annoying and serve no purpose to what otherwise would be a broader area to fight in.

Budner likes this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Alright, so when the Fall happened, it brought strange plants and animals to the surface of New Britannia.
    It would not fit the lore to remove these alien plants and animals from the shardfall zones.

11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Makes gust more useful doesn't it?

Totally agree with Ronan and Spoon. Seriously, part of combat is using position and terrain to your advantage. You can't get "pure PvP" or situation-less PvP unless you just create a totally flat. empty and unbounded space. If there was a cliff, I'd try to push someone off. I don't get how that's not PvP. It's just a different scenario. Trees and rocks can be used too in PvP, does that mean we should remove them as well? We will never get beyond walls or boundaries, which too can be used.

Grunvald will not be the only PvP space. Perhaps there will be more open ones coming.

Spoon likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK fair point but the plants could be strange but innocuous.

Sir Frank likes this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I would add pitfalls to the scene! then put the maneaters in them :)

14. Drocis the Devious

I agree with that 100%.

(There should be rare resources there per the lore too. But it's pre-alpha.)

15. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

Don't get too amused; thats not happening here. I never said that.

So anyway. I love the feedback! Tons of posts in very little time. This community is amazing. That said I only bring this idea up for the following reasons:

1) In two days I've seen no people at shardsfall at all. So I was only wondering if removing the beasts that root you from 60 meters away / are way out of your skill level, would bring you back.
    2) I agree you should have to be aware / use your surroundings in PvP, but this isnt ultima online. PvP is segregated ATM. So people PvE all day and when they go to the PvP zone
    there are some of the most intrusive and high level environmental mobs there are.

Take them or leave them i'm fine either way. Brought it up for discussion. Hopefully I see someone here soon. Probably just bad luck

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Except that the whole lore aspect, that makes players turn on players, isn't strange but innocuous, its dangerous and causes things to be corrupted and become violent at anything nearby (at least if I understand the lore correctly... only just started reading the book).

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am curious if anyone uses the PvP arenas (I think there's one in Ardoris, city of lag) which have nothing in there other than those interested in PvP. The few times I've popped in there I rarely see anyone. I think the bigger issue is until combat is balanced more there isn't much pull for PvP (grind a bunch of levels, but there really isn't much diversity in the builds that work for PvP yet).

18. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

There are so many places I still haven't been..... Can you get there without the lunar rifts?

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK fair enough again, but the lore doesn't say the plants themselves ATTACK anything, only create an atmosphere of violence ....... which is reflected in the PvP in the shardfall.

20. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

Holy god.... that Death Touch

Vyrin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.