Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remove Maneaters?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Cear Dragon, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

PvP in Ardoris is like swimming in pudding.

The place I love, that never seems to be used, is the big arena/dungeon in Owl's Head. Big open floor to fight on, balcony viewing, etc.

2. Cear Dragon

Cear Dragon Avatar

I love lore but wouldnt get to heavy on this small topic. There are plenty of places in this game without flesh eating plants. Maybe it fits this location but I can easily see perhaps a pvp landscape thats indoors or a building to fight in like a castle that just doesnt have outside nuisances

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You should see Chain Lightning and Fireball.

It's not very skillful, it's just stacking multiple glyphs and having a high intelligence. Anyone can do it if they're high enough level.

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Good point. That does make it very open to interpretation.

5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

They have these already implemented (at least I've come across an indoor arena so I assume there are others), but I haven't seen many people using it.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It's the last week in the release. It's always really quiet right about now. In ten days it will be really crowded and then slowly fading over the next weeks.
    It's all part of the testing release cycle. Not due to any specific feature or scene.

Vyrin, majoria70 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I haven't found that one yet. Where's it at?

And now I want PvP pudding fights too.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

They used to see lots of traffic when PvP was new, but they were really buggy for two releases so everybody left them. So now that they are working again they are devoid of PvP.
    If people started holding tournaments in them again you'd see an increase but since it's usually more fun in player designed lots on the Brave Coast I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

The pvp arena in Ardoris is near the town center where the bank is, it's a set of double doors if you're heading towards the crafting area.

It's always empty. The truth is, the number of people looking to pvp is low. PVP fights are not very competitive. You have to be a high level to win (most of the time) and you have to use "best builds" to have a chance. There are outliers, some players are better than others, sure, but it's a large bell curve and levels/builds are what's most important. Who wants to stand around waiting for people to show up in an arena so they can watch that?

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I find that to be the most competitive and fun though. Going up against someone of much higher level and face them with a bunch of folks. Even if you most often lose even then it's still a lot of fun.(until their equally leveled friends show up). They get what they want and I / we get what we want. Mostly you lose because they are that much better but sometimes the team wins and see that as a great victory. So kinda win-win.
    Equal level in a fair field gets tedious after a while. It's also where people get most upset about minutiae.

11. Drocis the Devious

Interesting concept of competitive.

Look, I can't argue with what you find fun or don't find fun. But I think what's competitive and what's not is something that is a little more quantifiable. The video I showed above is no where near competitive. If I have to have friends to be competitive, that seems like a poor system to me.

Swords kill people, even if you're a kid that doesn't know what they're doing they still cut, you still bleed.

What's Jamie Lannister say? "It's a strange thing when you cut a man for the first time. You realize we're all just sacks of meat and blood and some bone to keep it all standing."

That's not what I see in the video I posted above this one. I see a naked man ignoring being stuck with a short sword over and over again.

12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

The Owl's Head PvP arena can be accessed in the upper walled part of the town. If you walk up the road on the right side of town uphill to the walled area, it's inside the walled part just inside the gate . If you know where the Clink entrance is, the PvP arena doors are just on the other side of the walkway from the clink.

Designwise, I think it's either a keep or city arena basement.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

No sale.
    You'd see this in old competitions as well all through the classic and medieval periods. You put the many against the few or the one. Dogs against a bear. Slaves against a gladiator.
    Still competitive, just not fair nor balanced.
    It gives a good narrative regardless who wins.

And please at least use new footage some time. The last vid you took you plastered in over ten different topics and so far I've seen this one in at least three, possibly four.

Also what I see is magic. Exactly what some have been crying for many releases. It's a viable high level magic user build.
    One field if magic to strengthen skin and harden flesh. One field of magic to block incoming damage and to heal the flesh wounds that get in.
    Alone you should stand no chance with a puny mortal blade of little significance. It had not mattered if you brought a big axe or even a claymore.

Now from a balance point of view there are two things looking for a nerf there but the principle of the high level Mage is a solid one which I find very inconsistent for you to disapprove of.

14. Drocis the Devious

Ok. We disagree and I'm glad you're not in charge of making the combat system. We can stop discussing it now.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

No , to the NO.

Plenty of spaces to run around without them bothering you.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

if they add resources to this area and don't have any monsters there it will totally unbalance the game.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

It was used a lot in the early days (R9) before people did a lot of grinding and leveled up to 70+ with unstoppable builds.

Since then there's been a marked drop off in PvP, feels like.

18. Drocis the Devious

Yes, absolutely. But since there are no resources there, what's the point. I think that's what the OP was really trying to say - and that's certainly what I was trying to say.

19. Net

Net Avatar

I say that maneaters are not strong enough! They should balance xp from NPCs bit more though.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well it's been fairly clear there will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.