Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Removing auto-attack possible?

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The more I think about it the more it appears to me that SotA should not use auto-attack in combat. Other games and even MMORPGs like Tera or DC Universe Online use an active combat system without auto attack and it works quite well even with hundreds of players around. Having full control over everything you do, being actively involved in combat is much more interesting and exciting than just watching your hero swing his blade basically without you doing anything.

I could imagine a modification to the combat system we have now. Two standard melee attacks if you use a melee weapon and two standard ranged attacks if you use a ranged weapon as well as dodging and blocking are always available to you and you can use those standard actions whenevery you want - but you have to use them actively. No auto attack. The deck system would still be in place and in the hotbar your spells as well as special attacks appear and you also have to actively use them.

This way SotA would combined the best of both worlds. You could actively use standard attacks on purpose but still have the deck system with randomness for spells and special attacks.

Why an active combat system instead of auto attacks. Combat is active. Normally you would dodge and attack or block blows and swing your sword when you see an opportunity. You can't simulate this with auto attacks. Using an active system you get a responsive combat, responsive to your actions. You determine when to do what and when something happens. You don't have to stand by passively, just watching what is going on. You actively swing your sword by clicking the mouse button. Also with an active combat system, SotA would distinguish itself even more form other standard MMORPGs.

I am not sure if this is doable, maybe Chris or someone else can chime in. But I think SotA would benefit from an active combat system, where you are in the middle of the action and actively fight against opponents and not just stand by and watch.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I like this idea and appreciate active combat systems too.

But how would it work with the deck system. Would a basic attack have to come up in the deck for you to choose to use it to conserve stamina? In auto-attack, one can choose to not use an active attack and not spend stamina at times that may matter.

3. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

I like active combat systems as well, however something like that would not work well at all with the deck system in place.

It is hard enough as is to be watching your hotbar to see what random skills you get dealt, and then deciding which ones to use, and using them. Now if you had to also click your normal attacks just to swing in between doing all that? no thanks.

Remove the deck system and put in an active combat system and i would be very happy though :)

4. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

auto attacks are hopefully only a placeholder , i dont expect they want to release that as a feature "the innovative random cards auto attack system " XD lol

5. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

I think this is a good idea. I got smashed down n spat on for thinking the removal of auto attacks. Im glad not the only one.

6. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

in theory i like a Combat System without autoattacks! Espacially the Cardgame style Combat seems to be cool, without autoattacks (When its well polished :D).

BUT!
    Either the combat is extremely slow and boring to watch, or it is "ultra key smashing" for the player...
    So.... i dont know! When i am honest, i do not see the need for it.. UO Showed us that even autoattacks need Playerskill, when the combatsystem is good.

sn0tub likes this.
  7. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Good point Bul, didnt think of that. Guess we wait for release 10

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It could be even more tactical. You would have the standard actions always at your disposal. You can use the standard attack as well as block or dodge whenever you need them. Thus you are not that dependant on the skills showing up in the hotbar and you can wait for a skill to show up that you really want to use, instead of just clicking it in order to be able to attack at all.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  9. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

i disagree auto attacks was horrible in ultima . it coudnt had be done differently in a 2 d game

i would like to see a mage doing basic attacks, like in smite some low damage projectiles you can aim on your target during the spells.

but melee combat wont work with auto attacks , lol thatght you are trolling XD

you want autoattacks like in a 20 years old game ?? i bet 99 percent of the players wont like it . even if only 50 percent of the playerbase woudnt like it , it would be a bad mechanic.

only if 80-90 percent of the players like a game mechanic it should be further developed

10. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I posted a suggestion on this subject here: SotA vs. DDO: Aiming in a Target-Based Game

DDO's style of auto-attack would probably work really well as a middle ground between active and auto with the current Glyph system. :)

AdamZax likes this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I like the idea that all attacks are active. One of the suggestion I had was that autoattacks be removed, and slugs in the combat deck perform a standard, light attack move (equivalent of a single swing of autoattack). Thus, those that wear heavy armor will get more standard attacks but fewer special moves, while those in light armor get more special moves and fewer standard attacks. This also means you can go into combat mode and not be swinging at someone; kind of holding your punches.

If this was added, a good ability for the Focus or Light Armor tree would be a rune that turns the adjacent runes into slugs and recovers a small amount of Focus for each. This would help with Focus recovery, and allow lighter armor wearers to get additional standard attacks (at the detriment of having special moves available).

Kether, Crazy Phil and Golem Dragon like this.
  12. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

oooh i like that method of making slugs feel like they have some purpose but still limiting what they do to provide natural balance... you get a Gold Star!!!!! :D

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Playing with a passive combat system with auto-attacks removes me from the character I'm playing. I am no longer playing this character, I am watching him, giving orders and waiting for these orders to be carried out. So while adventuring you are the hero but during a combat you get removed from being the hero and you become some etheral commander watching and giving orders. This is a strange feeling as I am supposed to be this hero...

14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm not in love with auto-attack either. I do have to point out that combat in Ultima 7 was almost completely out of your hands and I never felt like I wasn't the hero because of it.

Kaisa likes this.
  15. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

I liked the auto attack from UO.. If we are keeping the cards have a crit hit trigger a special move card be dealt to you. If you're hit with a crit you're dealt a defensive card..etc

After playing this card system in sota it's a must have or you'll just stand there with a thumb in your ass doing nothing until you get dealt a red card.

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Agreed, make it so!

There's very little value in having an auto-attack in this game. It is pretty much just something to exploit.

17. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I don't see how one weak attack every like 10 seconds would be exploitable?

18. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I'm glad slugs are gone.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.