Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

renaming items to fool buyers

Discussion in 'Release 33 Dev+' started by Vox Aquila, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

@dallas @Berek @Chris

Look at the item at the top of the list.

This player is renaming the small bag to Artisan Tool Reward. I bought one thinking it was an Artisan Tool Reward. I quickly clicked on it to buy, not thinking that it could be anything else and I was misled. Is this my fault or is this wrong? IMO opinion mislabeling something to induce purchase is fraud. But if this is allowed then I accept that I need to take more care in the future.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

Vesper Merchant and Ice Queen like this.
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I congratulate the seller ;)

Lazarus Long and E n v y like this.
  4. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

Thank you for your input, this is very helpful. I am pleased you took the time to add something meaningful to the thread.

5. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Wow. I'd call that dishonest, but I would think completely within the rules. I'm sorry someone took advantage of you on this one.

Lazarus Long and Vesper Merchant like this.
  6. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

That does illustrate the benefits of utilizing a private vendor, over the public vendors. If you were to do this on your own private vendor, people would very quickly avoid you like the plague. And there is nothing stopping someone from being honorable and forthright on their vendor, but using an alt to commit fraud like that on a public vendor. I personally will steer clear of them. To what extent if any this will impact sales for those who only have access to public vendors, who knows.

Lazarus Long and Vesper Merchant like this.
  7. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Not sure how hard it would be to deny usage of terms for player made items. Might need some looking into.

Vesper Merchant likes this.
  8. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Avatar

While I know my opinion may be the minority, I actually have nothing against what the person is doing here. If this is truly a game where one's actions determine your course then people need to be free to follow a less honorable path, just as they are free to follow an honorable. While I would say my hat goes off to the seller, this in fact is a weak attempt & I'm sure there are other ways to make this more realistic. While I do feel for a person who may be tricked by this (believe me I do understand what it's like to be on the other end after 13+ years buying & selling in UO), it is still a necessary evil and one that quit frankly probably needs to be enabled a bit more.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Does this count ?

[​IMG]

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I am curious to see how Port will handle in game fraud, if it all.

Now that we're persistent it might be nice if @Berek can clarify the forum rules on whether or not you can "player shame" to call out fraud or not.

Vesper Merchant and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

No, you cannot player shame, ever, in any scenario, ever. If there are any suspicions of fraud, send it to support@portalarium.com.

Chatele, Ice Queen and enderandrew like this.
  12. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

@Berek

you are talking out of game fraud yes?

Are we are allowed to defraud people ingame as I have been?

Chatele and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

In the RW we sue. In this game we appeal to @Berek

If we had recourse in game then I would agree, but if we are allowed to misrepresent then I have a bridge to sell to the next new player landing in Soltown...

Ember and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess I could put my stretch goal pack mule on the vendor and say "pack mule for sale, rare and you can ride it too! It even smelts ore on site!" :D

Chatele, KuBaTRiZeS and Vox Aquila like this.
  15. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Avatar

Is it 1/2 blue, 1/2 blaze, with 6 legs and a hard shell?!

16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Caveat emptor

E n v y likes this.
  17. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I understand this is a game, not the real world, but in the real world there are consequences. If you commit a fraudulent act in the real world, you can be fined and spend time in prison. Therefore, the game needs to take a similar approach. Restrict forum and game access for 24 hours on the first act. If you commit the act a second time, make it 1 week from the forums and game, and if you still haven't learned your lesson after a 3rd time, this game doesn't need you.

I know I get tired of the justice system slapping the wrists of some people who commit crime IRL. If there isn't a punishment they are right back out doing it again and in the gaming world it is no different. Take control of the problem before it spreads like a virus and other people do it. If you don't punish the first person who does it, then you can't punish the next person who does it or they will moan and groan that this is unfair because someone else wasn't punished. Make it a rule, stop crime, stop fraud, create a more friendly player environment where people don't feel everytime they turn around in this game there is a possible person ready to scam you.

I understand you can't control all of it, but either control and punish the people who commit fraud and don't just threaten it or make it where you cannot rename items allowing people to easily take advantage of the others.

REMEMBER, to any parents out there. You can tell your kid no all you want but until you take away there toy for bad behavior they rarely listen without the negative reinforcement that goes with it. People are no different. No consequences, no results.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Vesper Merchant likes this.
  18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

how about having custom names (for containers) revert when placed on a vendor? anyone buying it will want to set their own name anyway.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

This person is also selling a Book of Unlearning in Kingsport on the public vendor, it isn't zero value so looks to be a fake, beware.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The biggest such fraud I've heard of was someone trading Crowns for a Comission Free Vendor in game. It wasn't a few crowns either and the Vendor turned out to be the basic one from the deco merchant.

The most common in pre-permanence was rename chests to Public and hike price up.

Then you have the basic one with "how to get rich" books.

So yes fraud is common right now. I don't think there is a public vendor out there without some.

That one I don't think is fraud though. If it would have had a Makers Mark then it would have been.

The vendor in Soltown used to sell chests with no makers mark. But they were clearly a big breach of the player crafters economy so they were removed by Portalarium.
    So for a while now those with no Makers Mark has gone for prices above the crafted ones on Public Vendors.

Same thing with those Light Blocks they had in the store for less than a week. They are also fetching prices above the crafted since they have no Makers Mark. I've seen a few of those on private Vendors.

Alley Oop, Shadow, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.