Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Repair kits at crafting stations...redundant.

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Soulicide, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

So the only way to repair an item to max durability is to repair it at a crafting station. However, this still requires a repair kit. Repair kits must either be bought or made. Each crafted repair kit requires 2 ingots and 2 leather so... 8 ore and 4 hides. I'm sorry but that seems excessive. I don't understand why you need a repair kit AT ALL when using the crafting station. It's redundant. I thought the kits were just for emergencies but now they have become a forced necessity. Why not just have the requirement for repairing be something like: One metal sheet of the type your weapon is primarily made from + blacksmithing hammer + the damaged weapon. So that would equal x3 metal ingots to make the sheet and gets rid of the need for leather in the equation which makes no sense.

Either that or have a new item that can be crafted from granite called a "sharpening stone". So you could do sharpening stone + ingot x2 + blacksmithing hammer + damaged weapon= fully repaired, glistening sharp weapon. Thoughts on either of these? I like the second idea myself. Keep repair kits for emergency on the field needs. Get leather out of the equation for repairing steel at stations.

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

It maybe that the 'repair kit' is a temporary thing because they mention the specialized kits to do such repairs are just not ready for this release. At least, I think I read that somewhere. :confused:

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, you did read that correct. The devs have mentioned that it is there intent to provide distinct "repair" objects for each of the various repair operations.

They haven't specified what ingredients will go into these new objects, so perhaps it will be something like Soulicide suggested, where a "Sharpening Stone" object is used for weapons, a "Tailoring Kit" is used for cloth armor, etc. :)

Stahlknecht, KuBaTRiZeS and Soulicide like this.
  4. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Lordy I hope so. Because I don't think it's right to have to do leather working in order to repair a weapon. It just ain't right I tell ya!

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=52883
    • Repair at Crafting Stations: Items (weapons, armor, and wooden decorations) can now be repaired at a crafting station using a repair kit and the corresponding tool for that station (ex. smithing hammer for metal weapons at a smithing station). This is the only method that will both repair durability and restore maximum durability. For now, there is only one type of repair kit. Starting in R22, repair kits will begin specializing (smithing, carpentry, and tailoring). In R21, all weapons and armor can be repaired to maximum durability at crafting stations. We will implement the repair of crafting tools in R22.
    Emphasis mine.

6. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Thanks for that emphasis, Katrina. I only hope they truly specialize and cut out the need for mats from other professions. (At least to a point that it makes sense.)

Chatele and Katrina Bekers like this.
  7. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

I was a bit surprised that when you use a crafting station to repair, the durability goes up, but the item remains damaged. You need to use a 2nd repair kit to restore it.

Artair Geal and Soulicide like this.
  8. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Me too, Cassey. I think a lot of people were. There were several bug reports about it because players thought that the repair just wasn't working right. I really don't like a lot of things about this repair system...that is one of them. Seems to me if you are spending that many resources to repair the max durability...the current durability should also be repaired.

Chatele and Artair Geal like this.
  9. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

I'm hesitant to suggest this, but eventually a weapon should probably need to be replaced. That wouldn't be bad if you could recover 80% or so of its base metals. Things like wood splintering on a staff would just be a loss. That said, I think such damage should be tied to actual combat - if you Parry, your weapon chances damage. Attacks might have a SMALL chance to damage your weapon.

10. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I'm just thinking...most of the swords I've handled (and its a lot more than you think) have something besides metal for the handle, be it wood or leather etc. So are you all saying that would never have to be repaired? The first thing I've had to repair on my swords was always the hand grip.

Doom Angel and SmokerKGB like this.
  11. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Alright, fair enough. But you are using the leather in the crafting of the repair kit, not the repairing of the weapon. And I am all for immersion, but trying to make something in a game too realistic can make it no longer fun. There has to be a balance with something making sense, it having some realism, and it being fun and interesting. I personally do not want to spend all my play time for the day gathering ore as well as hides for leather so I can fix both of my one-handed weapons (and I'm not even completely repairing them). By the time I'm done with that...I'm ready for a break and feel like nothing was really accomplished.

Chatele and Artair Geal like this.
  12. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Actually, I'm suggesting that it WOULD have to be REPLACED, eventually. Wood isn't exactly repairable - once the fibers are damaged, there isn't much you can do for them that would restore their original strength.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Don't fret about being hesitant there.

What you are suggesting has already been outlined by the devs as the eventual implementation.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  14. No Longer In Use

No Longer In Use Avatar

My problem with the system is both its redundancy and tediousness. First of all, nesting a repair system inside a repair system is nonsense. It's an arbitrary attempt to make things harder. Keep things simple: repair kits fix a little, and crafting stations fix a lot. Repair kits should be like a lifeboat, and crafting stations should be like dry-docking a ship. Enough with with complexity. This isn't getting more realistic -- it's getting downright pedantic. Microsoft Excel is more fun by comparison.

And no perma-breaking weapons. My Sword of Ba'heer is irreplaceable and cost real-world money, just like many of my other pledge rewards. If they're not actually meant to be used, they should be house decorations. Make them unusable until repaired if they hit 0, but destroying weapons is the surest way to guarantee I stay far, far away from the SotA store.

Elwyn, Jaxtron, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
  15. sake888

sake888 Avatar

As a new player, it's good to read that the current repair process is going to change somewhat.

I went with the Immortal Adventurer pledge and received the benefactor polearm. Unfortunately, it degrades at a rate at least twice that of rusty swords. Therefore I can't afford the repair costs to use it. A free rusty 2HS lasts a lot longer and is basically disposable.

Chatele and Soulicide like this.
  16. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

Some of the decisions being made are off to me. Crafting is always becoming increasingly more realistic while combat is a card game....

Losing durability on weapons and armor in games always bothers me. Sure it's more realistic, but is it fun?

Artair Geal and Soulicide like this.
  17. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

I agree...personally I believe that while still needing repair (and unusable at zero) the max durability of an item bought as Add on /Pledge/ Stretch Goal should not be reduced at all and the item should be unbreakable.
    After all, these items are'nt over powered and they cost RL money (eg I have Elf heavy armor, and its only slightly better than standard Plate). The Artisan Tools & the tools of Prosperity already have different physical laws as it has been stated that they will never need repair. You can always work it into the Lore, after all Lore wise, these items 'came through' with us to New Brittania....as Avatars have different 'laws' to the rest of New Brittania (eg Immortality) so should the equipment that 'came with us' so to speak. Hopefully any items that cost RL money won't lose Max Durability once gone live.

I would hope that all pledge/store brought items will be the same as the tools - after all I spent $20 on a Lord British Cloak, and the Max Durability of it is already down to 89% after 2 days. If this happens once the game goes live, I WILL NOT be amused and will demand a refund of all stretch goal/Store brought items affected.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Artair Geal and Chatele like this.
  18. Sianna Thorne

Sianna Thorne Avatar

I've been having the same thoughts about pledge items. They aren't super powerful but I think there should be some perks for having them, even if it's just a less costly way to fix them. I'm 50/50 on unbreakable. I can see the pluses and minuses.

19. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Man I so agree with what you just said, to me it takes the fun out of the game.... I would prefer to pay some gold to have the Blacksmith repair my armor and weapons, so much easier and less time consuming and leaves me time to adventure and craft etc ....

Artair Geal, Abhann and Soulicide like this.
  20. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Artair worded it much better than I did. Spot on with all the things.

Artair Geal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.