Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Repairs with CotO - Pay to never need a crafter again

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Violation Clauth, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Title says it all. Not trying to troll here. I understand the original intent is to cause the cost to increase each time you use it; however, it's not. I understand it's the first iteration right now; however, we're starving for value because the resources aren't dropping in cost fast enough and people are injecting CotO into the economy at an insane rate... I, and several others, still have over 1k CotO that haven't even become part of the economy... we just are sitting on them to see if they start to get more than tax value at any point... if not I'll just use them for taxes for friends in the future. Basically, short feedback here, please get that update in a.s.a.p. so we can balance how fast things burn up (too fast right now) and get things fixed for the crafting economy.

I would like to put the following items as the top priorities to getting adjusted for durability and, as such, crafting replacement flow breakers:

1. Shields - when being used for defensive abilities like Dig In there are multiple bugs that show the durability dropping by around 1 per second... way broke!
    2. Bows - every skill and every auto attack they get a ting and I see more bows come back for repair than anything else (I'm a carpenter and not a blacksmith though!)
    3. Weapons - 1h/2h weapons wear out really fast ... faster than the 2-3 months that we were explained in concept hangouts. I'd like to see the playtime calculations for how long they're lasting to know for sure; however, a weapon that takes about 3 weeks of farming to make is usually broken within a couple hours of aggressive play... repairing it two or three times a day dropping it so it's not viable within a week.

What is working: cloth armor seems to wear out slower than plate armor. I think this makes sense for now since it is absorbing less of a beating and, as such, takes less damage.

Suggestions:
    1. I'd like to see repairs have an exceptional chance on the table which would restore 1-5 (RNG) max durability (not to exceed max cap) when repaired by a skilled smith.
      1. This adds value for raising the skill
    2. I'd like to see durability loss to get cut by 1/5th for weapons, 1/10th for bows, and have the bugs on shields fixed so they're in-line with weapons and then have their loss cut by 1/5th as well.
      1. This gives people a reason to invest in higher quality gear with more gold because it will last long enough to see a return on investment
    3. I'd like to see GM repairs mean exactly that: 1 repair kit used to full repair every time (98% chance)
      1. This gives a value for GMing the repair skill... which right now I don't see
    4. I'd like to see repair kits become recycled with NOT REQUIRED materials for repairing items on a table... I don't understand why I have 2 metal bindings in a carpentry repair kit to repair a very small 1h wand that never took a metal binding in the first place and I don't get those bindings back. It should be easy to set that recipe of repair kit+wand = repaired wand + 2 metal bindings... instead of repair kit+wand = repaired wand.
      1. This adds value for using the repair kit on the table instead of in the field... max dura drop doesn't make sense in the field as much as the wasted material lost... just my 2 cents... also, dura loss isn't enough to stop people from doing it yet because weapons break so fast they don't care.
    I have a dozen more suggestions but this is my starter for hopefully seeing a working crafting economy. Durability and premium stalling of the economy need to be addressed. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Tahru, Nadomir, Bow Vale and 14 others like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

All good points. I noticed on Friday that a halberd - at least for a time - was dropping a point every 1 to 3 kills as it was nearing the end of its resiliency. It seemed like an awfully fast decay rate. I have also felt compelled to not invest in higher quality gear too much, given this. It feels like I can offset that by just adjusting my play style a bit and worry losing very expensive items less. Seeing as that I have not seen a COTO drop in many hours of game play, I don't spend any of my pledge stash, saving those as a last resort for things I absolutely must repair later.

3. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I see no issue with the current decay rate. Its close to be too slow. I only now and then have to ask my personal blacksmith to repair my weapons and shield and I never ever repaired my leather armor.
    I would like to craft more stuff but the old stuff is always good enough so I am missing the motivation.

My wife repaired her bow once and crafted one new since the start of the game. This is quite slow I would say.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I have never seen a coto dropped, killing mobs every day since last wipe (2 months). This is something common or I just had terrible luck?

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I have seen zero drop and my wife has had two drop and she plays less than I do... it's 100% RNG but fighting higher level mobs (4 - 5 skull) will give you a better chance AND they only drop if there is one available to drop (the server only drops so many per day).

Rada Torment likes this.
  6. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

What? I could completely destroy a bow in a few hours... Weapon decay is too fast, armor decay is too slow, somewhere in there should be a happy median for both.

7. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I made me a really nice dagger for parrying. But noticed it dropped 3 permanent points of durability in about 15 mins. Now keeping it at my home property when i am out mining for ore. May bring it out should i go hunting for bigger game or plan to complete a specific quest.

8. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

Does it depend on skill use? My wife only uses charged shots (Free attack) instead of auto-attack. And she never uses multi or rapid shot. This keeps ammo usage low.

On Coto Drop: Its currently low by intention until all the backer Cotos have been used up.

9. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I can take 3 bows out with me and be on the last one by the time i go home, say 1hr + of hunting. Your wife maybe be using a basic bow, wih no enchants or anything, but anything with a + in front of it degenerates very fast. And yes using auto-attack does burn the bows durability up much faster.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  10. Selene

Selene Avatar

If this is true... and it calculates it daily (not hourly) that would give a big advantage to some time zones.

11. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I think Chris said during the hangout they are aware of the quick decay rate on weapons. They are looking into it. For two weeks now. So, they want high erosion to stimulate people buying cotos from the store, the hoarding caused them not to drop in game. Pretty transparent plan.

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Fister Magee and Vagabond_Sam like this.
  12. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I also want high erosion rate to stimulate people to buy crafted goods. :)

But three burnt bows in one hour or even 3 points of max durability in 15 minutes sounds ridiculous fast. We should do some measurements why we have this different perception.

13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I've been using strictly ranged combat, the same basic Long Bow for weeks now (couple hours of play a day), got my ranged skills up to around 60 each (4 or 5 skills) and have only had to "repair" my Long Bow twice. Seemed totally reasonable to me, so part of this system is working as intended IMHO. But it sounds like there is a quicker decay rate with + magical weapons that might be a little too high? (I don't know, never used one, yet)

NRaas likes this.
  14. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Decayrate on weapons and armor is a tricky question. On the one had it should be high enough, so us crafters can make some profit out of it... on the other side, it needs to be low enough, so it still makes sense to by that +7 shield or piece of armor or weapon for the gold it is worth and get your worth out of it, before it crumbles to dust. It's the same for the crafting-tools... What is the sense in farming, when you break 3 hoes per day? In that strange world some of us call reality a good hue could be used for decades without breaking when treated properly (eg. not used as a weapon on a regular basis)... That all feels kind of unnatural und not plausible to me and should be reevaluated.

uhop likes this.
  15. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

I think the point is that +X items... the really good stuff.. seems to break far more easily than the normal +0/+1 stuff. Which makes some sense on the one side (economical, more fancy == more easily to break) and no sense on the other side (shouldn't higher quality last longer? No reason to get a +7 thingy, when it breaks after a few uses ...)

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There is a skill for repairing. Raising that skill should be the answer, not cotos. I disagree with using coto's for this altogether.

Aimend likes this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

It takes a couple of hours of play using only melee to wear out a two handed sword to the point where the warning symbol pops up. As a result I always carry two swords.

Tahru likes this.
  18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

h,m... what if weapon decay rate is tied to free cotos in game? so if there are a lot of cotos in inventory and not available to drop in game as random loot, weapon decay rate is higher. once it reaches a point where players vendor cotos to compensate... more cotos used up in repairs, then more cotos available to drop, not such a need to hoard cotos, decay rate on weapons slows down...

The reason for the high decay rate could be that there is a few top tier/maxed out players causing a curve for us? nah, then armour would be decaying too. nvm

THE HENDOMAN

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If your having troubles maintaining stuff, try getting weapon,armor, shield preservation up to 60-80, it helps a lot. If its still a problem, use the obsidian pot of preservation, combined with the preservation skills, this should really slow it down. I remember 3 releases ago, rapid fire from bows would really take them down fast, I will test this after the patch. Bow is the only thing left I need to get skills to 80 in to be fully well rounded.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Dunno man, I'm still using the same daggers I had since the first week of persistence. I hardly use repair kits and I don't even know what a CotO is.

I know that weapons degrade faster than armour but, if anything, I'd increase the speed at which armour degenerates... which I think is what the devs are planning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.