Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Repro Needed]summoned pets NOT FOLLOWING

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Saladid, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

ROAR! BEAR NOISES!

1. Title: summoned pets
    2. Reproduction Rate: summon a pet and run away from it
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details: summoned pets dont follow nearly as well as they use to
    5. Steps to Reproduce: cast pet jump up or down away from it
    6. User Specs: decent... to tired to get them at this moment

2. benhat

benhat Avatar

They also don't cross water now which is reproducable in any region.
    Haven't had any issue with following besides that, that i could observe in my short time playing.

on a side note (a bit of an angry bear noise one):
    btw, You should make pets CLIP EVERYTHING, just everything a player can clip (with jumping also) instead of the pet running around like an idiot around obstacles. I know this following is a bug at the moment, but still the issue would persist, like it has in the past?
    And when you are at it, please make pets stop running around pulling every single enemy in the map like a maniac, while you yourself are standing perfectly safe and still.
    All these things add up to a near gamebreaker, if you are trying to smart pull e.g. engineers at a town siege, but your pet suddenly charges forward into all enemies and pulls everything! This is how pets behave on a constant basis!
    Why isn't this adressed? It has been around and stated often times. At least please fix the "action radius" of the pet running around you.
    Thank you!

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@benhat it is proper infuriating when your pet goes pulling half the zone cos its decided it wants to be 30ft behind the mob you're fighting then when it gets bashed on it runs like 30ft the other way slowly gathering them up so it then dies quick cos its a proper pansy and leaves the mobs angry at you and you had nothing to do with it

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

can confirm this with my ice elemental ...

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I have had mine follow in R46 but only if conditions were A1 perfect eg you were on a path when you summoned and you move down it.

6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Same bug here Pet remains stuck under a stairwell cant teleport him to me no matter how far i go

[​IMG]

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It would help our reproduction efforts if we had examples of scenes and exact locations (/loc) where pets are getting stuck where they weren't previously.

Lexie likes this.
  8. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Attenwood

Reproduced in Greymark Forest - see screenshots and location below.
    - basically the water elemental is not following you across water
    - attempting to teleport water elemental to you does not work

9/29/2017 11:39 AM
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Zone into Greymark Forest
    2) Summon Water Elemental
    3) Run to nearest water
    4) Cross over to other side of water
    5) Observe that water elemental does not follow
    6) Attempt to teleport water elemental to you - unable to do so

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12) System RAM: 32686
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4058
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.662.Date.09.27.17
    Area: HiddenVale_Forest01_Tier5
    Area Display Name: Greymark Forest
    Loc: (-101.3, 59.3, -77.0)
    Debug: SGlkZGVuVmFsZV9Gb3Jlc3QwMV9UaWVyNXx8KC0xMDEuMjY0LCA1OS4zMjYsIC03Ni45NTUpfCgwLCAtMC45MTQsIDAsIC0wLjQwNSl8LTU5Mi42OTE1fDIyLjk5OTI0fDE4

Zone into Greymark Forest - summon water elemental
    [​IMG]

Run to nearest water
    [​IMG]

Water elemental does not follow you across the water
    [​IMG]

Going even farther away - water elemental does not follow
    [​IMG]

9. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitted: 51286

Thanks for reporting.

10. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Thanks, found the problem. Thanks for the easy repro. steps. Fix submitted for the patch.

Kron Caledon likes this.
  11. Scrambler

NPCs travel on the navigation mesh... players don't. That's why this happens. I'll keep thinking about this.

Can you please provide an example of where this is happening? A very specific example would help.

Thanks.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  12. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Scrambler

"Pulling every single enemy" is an exaggeration, but what can happen is this:

1) Avatar moves to a location (possibly by jumping)
    2) Pet cannot do the jump (or move to the location directly), so it follows a much wider path to eventually get to the avatar's location
    3) The wider / longer path of the pet pulls mobs, which the avatar would not have pulled, because the avatar did not go through that wider path

Another scenario is when during the course of combat, a pet (particularly a ranged summons like an water elemental) moves back to perform a ranged attack, and ends up pulling unrelated mob due to the new location. I view this as perfectly normal and expected.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. Scrambler

Maybe I can just teleport the pet to you in this case...

14. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Scrambler

That could work - I think the balance is figuring out how soon before you teleport the pet, vs. making the pet try to path to the avatar.

A scenario that is often seen is that the avatar moves much faster than the pet, and the avatar is just running ahead in the scene. So often the pet is following way behind, and either teleports, or continually paths (even with leashing speed, it follows behind).

When crossing over water (like in Greymark Forest) - typically the pet just teleports to the other side of the water.

The tighter you set the threshold for teleportation - the more likely you'll see the pet teleport all over the place to get back to the avatar.

I think it looks "better" for the pet to be pathing to the avatar (rather than teleporting all the time) - but since the pathing isn't perfect (and will never be) - the pathing taken by the pet introduces some gameplay issues (like pulling mobs you didn't intend to).

Scrambler likes this.
  15. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Scrambler anywhere near the liches in the middle of deep ravnswood - Im on the wrong toon to get you a loc (Id be toast) but to be fair its anywhere there are many mobs that you can pick off 2 or3 at a time but your pet tries to go away, from you usually beind the oncoming mobs and then brings "more" because now its in agro and then they come so it tries to go behind them and brings "more" .... it then rapidly dies

so a freshly spawned deep ravenswood following area is real good for this (pets like air. water and fire especially)

[​IMG]

twins foot hills and all clones on the same map
    (Area: Twins Foothills (Novia_R11_Hills01_ElysiumMinesEntrance) Loc: (145.3, 60.9, 84.3) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjExX0hpbGxzMDFfRWx5c2l1bU1pbmVzRW50cmFuY2V8fCgxNDUuMzM5LCA2MC44NTgsIDg0LjI2MSl8KDAsIC0wLjYwNSwgMCwgMC43OTYpfDMxNjQuNjg4fDI3LjYyNzk0fDUuMTY0MzU0 is right by the bottom one)
    [​IMG]

16. Scrambler

I agree, but after playing w/ the location Liz sent, I understand this part of the problem better. I should be able to get the pet to pick a better target away from mobs, I have most the things I need to do this already.

liz_the_wiz and Kron Caledon like this.
  17. benhat

benhat Avatar

@Scrambler
    Thank you so much for looking into this!
    Compared to other MMOs that don't fix the issue in 15 years of release, this is godsent for pet build players :) . Pet build players, rejoice.

It would be perfect if a pet would follow a player that is/was traveling through a "non mesh area" directly.
    Let's say you jump down a stair on it's side from a high point instead of going down the stair and reaching the point by walking. If the pet would follow mesh pathing it would go down the stairs, pull an enemy on the foot of the stair that you tried to avoid by jumping down.
    What you do as a player to prevent this in for example WoW: dismiss pet, resummon pet. Very annoying after a time. Because the pet AI would walk down the stairs. The pathing is too short to let the pet teleport to the player, which it would if the path would have been longer (teleport is a good idea, but has to be implemented so it includes every possibility)
    You could leave the pet on the mesh. But is there a way to make a condition for 3D space distance to player? Set a very near minimum distance to player the pet always wants to get to of maybe 1 hair width. Check against current and max distance you can set, you could even make it non-linear, so it has more tolerance near the player.
    The pet can follow the mesh, but checks for 3D distance to player in intervals. This interval needs to be short enough so it won't travel too far around an obstacle, and instead ports to the player. But it also needs to be long enough so the pet won't port all the time just because of a small rock on horizontal plane to the player. Maybe 1.5ec for the interval?

Just an idea.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.