Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request Ability to Reset all Skills, or lower skills (drain, points down)

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Taze, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taze

Taze Avatar

Even before the use based system, you could reset your skills, granted, it would take a lot of money

with the current system, if you decide you want to go to bludgeon instead of blades, you can't, not really,

right now i have over 230 points that i don't use, i have even tried spamming my own death, they are all listed as "-" or the orange arrow, and they won't go down.

I am currently skill capped at 37, grinding an unknown about of mobs that give an unknown amount of Experience (so i don't even know if the mobs i am fighting are worth it) to randomly get adventure level 38 and get a few more skills unlocked.

I don't care if a skills reset means i spend another week starting at solace bridge again to level everything up, if the adventure level is there the skill pool is there so everything would level quicker anyway to what i want.

We need some way to lower, or reset, these skills besides months and months of inactivity

If we could take a skill we no longer want and point it down, then when we get soft cap the other level skills steal from it. That would still require game sink, and use leveling time.

Katrina Bekers and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm... Other than the issue with the slugs that appeared in my deck (which were easily mitigated), I easily switched from Bludgeon (Level 97 base skill) to Polearms (Level 50 base skill) mid-release.

Skill levels are no longer "unlocked" based on your "Adventurer Level".

You unlock new skill levels by applying unused experience points to various skills, which means you can achieve new skill levels at any point in your "Adventurer Level" progression.

As long as newly acquired experience is not being funneled into a large number of skills, you should be able to raise new skills quite quickly.

Note: Remember that you most likely started this release with a *large* unused experience pool (based on your character's level in R20). So your progress would have been much faster at the start of this release.

Once that pool was depleted, your progression would have slowed to more "normal" speeds.​

----

Regarding recovering some of your already spent experience to use in other skills, there is a discussion on that over here : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nt-skill-decay-death-mutilation-fading.36783/

4EverLost likes this.
  3. Taze

Taze Avatar

According to the r21 notes, https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=52937#more-52937

"
    Now for those that aren’t afraid of the details:
    • Underneath the covers, experience is still earned from adventuring and goes into a pool. A tiny percentage is applied to skills when they are used. Without earning exps, this pool will empty out over time"

I have been stuck at several points where you don't get any skill, until your adventure level goes up
    Just yesterday, was stuck at 37, nothing went up, 6 hours of farming mysterious swamp
    Finally, I hit 38, and ding, ding, ding, ding, skills go up.

I don't care how you try to candy coat it, the fact remains, you can drain the pool, and until you level that adventure level, you don't get any more skills added to the pool.
    This means it will be harder and harder and longer to get more skill points added to the skill pool, which is correct, in the case you want to GM 8 things
    But, i want to switch trees, not waste 230 points, I am now looking at a very very long time, to get adv level to say high 50's to get enough points to unlock new tree's and they are much less effective, then if I had started that tree from get go and applies all possible skill points to it.

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Since that was not mentioned in Chris' design document, it is most likely a bug.

Probably explains some of the odd effects other users have been encountering. :)

Fister Magee, Taze and 4EverLost like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This is a thread already covers in at least 2 other posts.

For the testing phase and until the end of R22 SURE, but players need to start to LEARN how to plan their skills, raise them strategically - - - -

As for players who have exhausted their pool and say they cant get any more they are wrong, and just poorly executing their skills.

If oyu go out explore - kill - raise a few points - and have 20 skills set to raise those points are spent almost instantly. If you had 1 skill set ot raise you would see it raise.

6. Taze

Taze Avatar

Yes, this is a feedback forum, i was giving the devs my feedback, from my point of view. theres multiple posts about multiple topics from different points of views in a feedback forum

Your statement is incorrect.
    Personally, I have turned all my skills off except one for my test, 6 hours of large red spiders, obsidian wolves, large timber wolves, elder wolves, and the stray undead, while my Adventure level in "V" is at 37
    It moved to 38 and that skill got a gain, I turn on other skills, and the very next wolf, they all dinged.

Theres a hidden soft cap on skill points in the pool, per adventure level, and I am glad you haven't had the annoyance of running into it, but it is there.
    The pool isn't refilled until the adventure level goes up, this is quite easily proven.

Step 1 - Empty your current pool - Level up skills without adventuring
    (Heal spells, defensive skills etc, light, moon, summons, etc)
    Do that until you get no gains, at all, on anything

Step 2 - Go out and adventure, kill things

Step 3 - Do this while monitoring the "V" button adventure level

Step 4, you won't start to get skill gains until that adventure level, goes up 1. Regardless of how many things you kill before then.

Note - That actually, by me, is all fine and dandy, I am fine with them controlling the amount of skill points, in the pool by adventure level, but I need a way to lower, and reclaim, points in other skills, which is similar to the discussion Duke posted

Edit Note 2 - Why yes, if you don't empty the pool, you don't cap out quite as easy, but who wants to go into battle with a (example) lvl 1 earth elemental when you can go into battle with a level 20 earth elemental, and less weight since your going to have to burn through all those reagents to level him up anyway. Might as well level him up while mining, crafting, or sitting at the pub. That's not even what this post is about! I chose to drain the pool, that's all fine, just let me reclaim the old or unused skills i don't want.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree with Taze. I would strongly argue that there is never an experience of running out of XP to level skills. Point in case. After I have now exceeded my AL in previous releases and my skill gains slowed to "normal". I simply turned off all gains. Then after gaining a level or two. Walked into town, into the bank and spammed healing touch - a skill that was giving no gains for a while before my skill was turned off. After level gains, I shot up several levels in HT in minutes. There is a pool and that pool can be expended.

AND, this goes to what the OP said. Because the underlying mechanics are roughly the same (we gain XP to get points in our pool that gets spent automatically when we use a skill) the initial starting point levels of sword and light armor could be spent elsewhere. I have not used a sword, so those 30 levels are stuck there for months. I would have loved to start with 30 in bludgeon. I hope that when things get farther along, our character creation will include choosing starting skills as opposed to current assigned skills.

If you run this system out to an idiotic point, say 20 years of playing and adventure level 1000, the math seems to work in such a way that the character would not be able to gain enough XP to level. Because the character can't level, the character will not be able to spend pool points toward skills and they will decay. So, at some point no matter what you do, you will lose skills. It is masked in the extreme conditions that no one is ever likely to see. I also think the Dev team will address and balance this as time goes on.

Edit: Taze beat me to the test of the pool. Nice.

Taze likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

First off it is the RULZ of the forums to NOT post multiple post about the same topic.

Now please do NOT tell me I am wrong, I fully understand the skill systems and the reason you gained AFTER you turned them on is . . . .

You where out leveling gaining Adv Skill so you could get more points (yes you cannot get more points any other way). At that time you only had one (1) skill set to raise. SOOO when you leveled it raised, now you go and unlock more skillz and as soon as you actually kill something they all pinged. YES, that is because while you where out training they where gaining BUT you didn't have the points, and since they where locked they could NOT ping, as soon as you unlocked them they still cannot "ping" but once you gained a little more they all get boosted at the same time. (this is could be called a bug yes)

There is NO hidden soft cap just players not understanding what is happening.

Just like decay system it needs a bump to actually activate.

Now as for turning skillz down AGAIN I say GtG for the Testing phase as long as players understand that this will NOT happen Live. GTG for Testing NOT for live. Live with the choices you made.

9. Taze

Taze Avatar

I've done it both ways, i don't normally have them locked, also off topic from original post
    It caps, until the adventure level is raised, i often run out of points, they don't even gain, the green bars go dormant, easy enough to verify with any level 1 skill., but also off topic
    If i have them turned off, they shouldn't be gaining, so that logic makes no sense, and is off topic from original post anyway

If my opinion differs, its a different post, thats how I would view it. Maybe I am wrong, thats also, off topic from original post
    While yes we could debate the semantics on if my opinion is different enough to get it's own post, or should have been put in the other post, we have crossed linked to the other posts (Thank you Duke)
    Which is more then enough information for any devs reviewing feedback, chances are they will delete all the below anyway, as they say in the feedback and bug forum rules:
    "
    • Only reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug. ALL extraneous commentary will be deleted to avoid cluttering the reports."

Forum moderators, if it is that big of a concern will also merge posts.

The rules also say:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules.8/

"Be not a Troll:
    Do not purposefully patronize others or make posts designed to instigate an argument. Our goal is to create a great community for a great game, not to pummel each other with virtual sticks and stones."

You seem to be trying to become a troll, in my point of view, as such, I am done replying to you,
    please, respect the views of other people
    also, respect that in a pre-alpha (and any game) the gaming experience of two different people can have completely different complications and issues, so what you experienced is not in fact "how it is"

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has experienced this problem

Have a nice day,
    Taze/Ganic/Xelnak

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.