Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: Choice to remove PVP Protection at character creation

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Request: Please provide a choice to remove PVP Protection at character creation.

This isn't a big deal now, or even months from now. But at launch it's a big deal to me. I don't really want the Oracle giving me protection. I'd like to have it removed from the beginning of character creation.

If there's a lore reason that the Oracle provides protection from the beginning of Avatar's entry into New Britannia, I'd like that to be more clear by launch.

If the game simply can't be played being flagged PVP until you're level 70 or above, that's not ideal, but let's at least call a spade a spade then, and design pvp around this fact.

The reason I'm calling this out now is because I don't like the idea of starting a game and having to level for a month just so I can be pvp worthy and stand a chance against anyone higher level than I am. It just seems like it's a weird way to treat people that like pvp. Here, go do a months worth of stuff you hate just so you can do what you actually like.

Would we do that to people that like PVE? No, we'd never say "You have to pvp for a month, and THEN you can go play against the environment - have fun!"

2. Drocis the Devious

Here's an incentive worthy of PVP. If you choose to be open pvp at startup, you get to be level 100.

That would be grand. Of course to keep things fair you'd have to be open pvp forever with that character. :)

No leveling, but you'd still need to complete quests and make money. (as well as defend yourself)

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um NO just plain NO Really this is WEAK. All you have to do is go visit an Oracle, NOT hard.

And if you fell you cannot PvP until a certain level so be it, learn the GAME, it is NOT a PvP game it is a Single Player game with Multi player options.

Please stop trying to make this a PvP Game, if it somehow works out in your favor you will have very little to play with, but I KONW this will not happen.

Greyhaven, Manerd, Chatele and 5 others like this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*SLAP!!!*

Gaelis, Lord Lonn, Sophi and 5 others like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I don't feel like this is a constructive way to approach this topic.

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm being serious. I hate leveling, and honestly if the game is not designed for pvp and it's just going to be a level grind - I say lets get rid of leveling for all the people that just like pvp. To me, this sounds like it's completely inline with selective multiplayer.

Just because other people love to level, why should I have to do it? It's lame and stupid. I want to opt out.

I'd love to play against people on an even playing field, Themo Lock. Maybe you're better than me, and maybe you're not. We'll never know though if you're always 30 levels higher than me.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I am being serious too *slap slap slap*

Gaelis, Chatele, Lord Lonn and 7 others like this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Free level 100 would be inline with putting only lvl 100 opted PvPers in a world by themselves away from everyone else. If you do it, the game will be about as segregated as you can get a game to be.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Thigns like Control points, high resource PvP areas, epic craftign stations in PvP areas and stuff liek that would have to be done away with because there will already be level 100 people monopolizing on it. This would cause the economy to either suffer or be forced into segregation as well.

Gotta also keep in mind that you dont want to force people to have to buy a second charcter slot just to compete in the world.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

The progress your charakter make when he does things in a game is called leveling. It rewards your char for improving.
    If you wont only focusing on pvp, than you might should ask for like pvp leveling or somthing.
    An RPG and this is still one is focusing about story leveling your charkter. Messing with other chars to prove who is the best is a fun way to play and part of this game.
    Bypassing all this and get strait 100 with out realy playing wouldnt feel like a real rpg (for me atleast)

If you wont only doing pvp maby a other game suits you more, or maby you ask for a xp mechanik for pvp, but 100 only cous you go open pvp, that would be strange i think

Chatele, Lord Baldrith and 4EverLost like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

You're missing my point. I happen to be a huge roleplayer. But I like PVP equally well.

Do you know what currently happens after every wipe? All the pvp guys hide behind the Oracle's protection while they level grind like crazy. When they get to a point where they can dominate or compete, they jump out of the oracle's protection and pound the living day lights out of anyone lower level than they are. So the segregation is already happening.

Now I shouldn't have to tell you that level grinding like crazy is not really inline with roleplaying. People are effectively standing in the same spot for hours killing the same thing over and over again to achieve this goal. So if you're like me and enjoy roleplaying while at the same time enjoying the challenge of pvp - you're asked to pick one or the other. That's not fair.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Actually no, this is a selective multiplayer game and control points could have level 100 people in them just like anything else.

Well, that's a valid concern, but it's still a choice if you want to be level 100 or not (in this hypothetical feature where that character also has to be flagged pvp for the life of the character - maybe if they took the Oracle's protection later they would lose all their free levels?). I guess I can't get past the fact that it's ok that I'm forced to PVE. Why is that acceptable?

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Cause they are higher than thou.

14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

One would hope that eventually at release that grinding will be unnecessary and simple story progression will compensate for hours-on-end grind mills or at least be competitive with it. Like, if you do the quests now, it'll pop you up to level 20 fairly quickly, so maybe at launch with the full story in place, you won't have to stay unevenly leveled with grinders (pvp wise).

One would also think that perhaps being pre-alpha that the grinding is made a bit less grindy with a bit of a boost currently to provide incentive to level (so you can test more) as story based progression is currently barred so the grind for level has to compensate for the missing part.

Would think though the bigger problem is that you cannot be competitive pvp-wise with a gap in levels, though? Maybe put more innate/skill restrictions on the higher level if fighting a lower level or visa versa boost the lower level temporarily (gives you a new deck you can play with in that instance)? *

15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I have the solution for an insta-100 level, no grind required, even playing field PVP experience.

16. Drocis the Devious

I think you have a good understanding of current state and the probably gap once the game launches. As a person that enjoys pvp, I don't think it should be my responsibility to also grind. Grinding shouldn't have anything to do with pvp. If it was a perfect world and we could have a use based system that couldn't be macroed, then we'd be in business. But UO is a great example of how a use based system is every bit as grindy - as you'd see almost nothing but people standing around macroing common tasks so they could "level up" and compete with the other players.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dont be so worried, youll be able to gain experience in PvP too i believe.

But it sounds liek your after more of an Arena type of game

19. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Fortunately I think cooler, and saner, heads will prevail. Abd those heads belong to the prot devs. I just don't see any merit at all in this idea.

Chatele, Katrina Bekers and FrostII like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

*Takes a deep breath*
    Sooo, you envision a PvP char who deserves to be somehow superior at birth in magery and weapon skills - while all the PvE players have to learn how to use that weapon they're holding (by fighting things that they can kill) ?
    The dev gods should just hand over high end skills because PvPers don't like training skills up ?
    Saying that this is pathetic would be overly kind...........

You would also be asking that the devs somehow separate PvP skills (you know, the free 100 level that you want) from PvE skills. Otherwise, how would you keep your PvP guy (the one with the 100 skill level that he got for free) out and away from competing for resources with everyone else that had to "grind" as you put it?

Ahh, now that's the PvPers we've come to know and love......... Truly spoken there, Baron!

Chatele, SmokerKGB and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.