Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: Choice to remove PVP Protection at character creation

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It comes down to rewarding effort and time spent by players. Most people who play an RPG expect to be rewarded for a ten hour straight game session in which they completed an epic quest chain, crafted enough furniture to restock IKEA and slaughtered orcs into near extinction. Giving players everything on day one instantly creates a game that people have no long term interest in and either play very briefly, or sporadicly and off goes the large group of RPG fans to go find an actual RPG that has something for them to do for the next 5+ years.

smack, FrostII and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

well in most games that i have played that have PVP has it so you cannot PVP anyone withing 3-4 lvls below you . You can attack anyone above you at your own risk, but not 3-4 lvl's below you..... And it worked out GREAT..... So no need for an instant 100 lvl. char... so it doesn't matter how long it takes you to lvl, when u PVP it will always be fair..... and we that want to PVP now and then can do that and PVE when not flagged for PVP ..... Sounds like a win win situation all around and less work for the devs :) Very easy to implement as well .... so you have to get the crafting nodes just like us ..... now how fair is that? VERY FAIR!!!!!! yes very fair my precious ;)

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Actually that really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really Sucks. Games that take away freedom and replaces it with hand-holding are truly awful.

4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I beg to differ Whats the fun or challenge killing someone 30 lvl's or so below you? you may like it, and that's fine for you, but then where do you start the balance in this? What you call taking away our freedom or hand holding, I call balancing PVP to make it fair and accessible for those who aren't hard core pvp'ers but would like to now and then, and be able to compete at it ..... And instant lvl 100 is just as much hand holding as restricting the big guys from picking on the little guys.... Just saying ;) IMHO

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The magical oracle to the rescue with his hands of god will flatter you to oblivion !!! *sings*

Awh that didn't rhyme, I need a coffee.

The fun Milady, in an open sandbox, is that the guy 30 levels below you might be a lure, and waiting in the shadows is 3 more people 30 level below you who also got killed by the same PK 30 levels above them, and 4 on one seems like a reasonable fight where the winner will have some measure of satisfation.

It dosen't take a genius to see UO was flawed in many ways (because EA), but it takes even less genius to understand why a sandbox is GREATER and MORE MATURE than a magical hand of god system that basically imitates WoW and Medieval sims with a different *STYLE* key words there.

I'm still laughing that Baron Drocis is being accused of wanting an arena game, and that his own player town will look like a foundation on the overland map :p Makes for a great Baron, lets spawn the great baron at level 5 with 100 gold... makes tons of sense hahaha... I'm laughing and laughing... the reason he made this thread is because we're stucked with a stupid leveling system that looks like Diablo X MTG... but with options to ditch MTG, if you're willing to pay skill for it (which effectively ruins immersion with a META-GAMING skill)

I like our game don't get me wrong, I'm impressed every release with the graphic artists and the work being done, but this concept is rotten to the core and totally misses the most active demographic this game could have. Which active demographic would give life to our world.

... Milady, *bows*

It sadly reminds me of the US incarceration system, lets segregate all the potential evil herb peddlers, and free the irreparable meta-gamers (read much worse criminals) to their comfort...

Again, comfort vs virtue, science vs business...

It's getting childish and ridiculous... I'm going down on the right side of history.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As I say its about freedom of choice.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh but wait we need to spy on you to make sure you get segregated if your character is BLACK and sells the wrong "herb... cough... reagents" to the wrong person, god that makes me nauseous, truth is sometimes nauseating.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Going to have to agree with that one, BUT, I must impose one condition. The attacking of people so much lower level should not be profitable or part of the purpose of PvP.

Chatele likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If you are a PK it has every purpose.

This is one thing that people keep forgetting, although a PKs can PvP and tend to be fairly proficient......they actually look for easy kills to profit.

Long live the PK.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not the same meaning. What I mean is a known profit such as kill counts or PvP specific currency. Kill a low level that happens to have something profitable is different.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

A kill count is a kill count.........although I do agree if there is some kind of PvP reward, the amount/value should be scaled on level/rank etc.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's fine, but anything that funnels human tendencies, like a kill count leader board, is a form of profit. If farming level 1 players is easier to rank on the leader board then that's what people will farm.

I consider that poor zone design more than anything so I do agree that a kill count is a kill count.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Are you guys really agruing about farming noobs... wow there isn't even level 1 in the game.

What we've discussed plenty about in the past is SOLUTIONS. I can't beleive you guys haven't yet identified the PROBLEM.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

What's the concept?
    And from what i've seen, the most active demographic likes a bit of everything, not JUST PvP. If thats what your referring to.

Within the topic of PvP/lack of PvP, the hardcore PvPers and PvE'ers just happen to be the loudest ones. Most people who are active like the direction the game is going. WHich is why they are active i guess

I liked the old days of UO, and EvE Online alot. i hated WoW, and i hate level griding. From where i stand it seems like they are going in a good direction. I still have to progress, but i will inevitably have no need to grind spiders all day long if i want to do that.

And i'll be effective enough in PvP by level 40ish

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The concept of trying to simulate the "heat of combat" with random cards and then letting people meta-game their way out of it with locked decks and now a new mechanic to lock glyphs ?

I tried most of the features, being able to switch decks is cool... I like the idea, but a defensive character in full plate cannot forget to heal, and a shield fighter cannot forget to parry...

The concept of putting it all in the same bag is rotten because its a clever attempt to disguise action reduction to effectively program action prediction to reduce lag while we have sub-par servers.

I expect much more out of it... muuuuch more DnD and LARP style... less WoW and Diablo... and MTG well, for high level skills fine, but I don't forget how to parry when I'm in defensive stance, don't make me meta game by switching decks in the middle of a fight, along with all my equipment ?! yea right...

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The devs focus and are asking tons of questions right now about combat, its their main focus, of course the PVP group will be the loudest, but the rest have pretty much their ground covered.

I'm not going to lawyer them but we've already got a fine, nicely woven medieval sims, and we'll have an amazing story I'm sure from what I've read and the collaboration with two of my childhood heroes Mr Gariott and Tracy Hickman.

So they're trying to launch on steam and have a following, I say good luck, unless you really come down to our level and start to understand what makes PvP fun. And some will say I keep repeating myself but, its not only that concept which is rotten, if you make a medieval sims, its like oil and water for a good pvp system with risk and reward, hence the dried up forum discussions we see as of late that always hit a wall before we even begin to address one design box.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

New player retension is the number one killer of PvP games.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree. Which in my mind supports making PVP success non-dependent on level.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They kinda surprised me with 100 levels. I got the impression they wanted to make levels have less of an impact. (course it is testing, on release we might only have 20 levels, who knows)

Skipping leveling doesn't help the issue. Making leveling less important for PvP to be viable is the key.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We agree on that... which is why I am crying so much, because if we want to "retain" new players and at the same time accept we cannot afford the best servers, or the best anything actually (which is cool in my book I still play UO from time to time and I don't mind about better graphics)

well we're going to need to either : Be very, very unique and different or... have such a strong community that players will go hey, if there is so much life in this game, maybe its going to be worth looking deeper.

We all agree on this logic... but right now, the dev team seems intent on pleasing some PvP guilds that could care less about "the community" but are "famous, big, elitist groups" while we are trampling on the historians, the scientists, the inventors etc...

Makes a nice game of thrones plot, but not a great game...

You can't spawn a high baron at level 5, I'm sorry, but thats not how you keep your community in one piece.

You can't have 50 castles in Owl's head while everyone is afraid if you turn full loot on cause they'll lose their precious gear.

You can't do a medieval sims and a great lord british game (and we all KNOW true fans, those who played UO all this time are those people who build houses to STAY, who build history to STAY, etc... the famous pvp guild you're so intent on pleasing will move to another game that offers high end graphics, high end servers, and high end impactful combat... they all will eventually.

I'm talking about setting priorities straight, its as if Portalarium is repeating most of EA's errors... one by one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.