Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: Choice to remove PVP Protection at character creation

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I respectfully disagree. You have a problem with you not liking the game does not mean the game is broken and others don't like it. I think it would be a huge mistake to give the instant 100 level. IF it ever came to pass there had better be a huge price to pay to do it. Hell why not just make a separate server then with all level 100 players so we dont have to deal with such nonsense on a regular server.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because that would segregate the population and then people couldn't roleplay or socialize or be with their friends in a selective multiplayer environment?

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

You cant role play with level 100 pvp'rs? I thought your liked RP pvp. And what you are suggesting would be a segregation creating an elite class.

Katrina Bekers and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It's not the only thing i have done either, and while you claim to not need any form of validation you sure like badmouthing the achievements of others. And you are dead wrong about combat mechanics, which you have NEVER tested. You are also not the only person heavily invested, most of us are.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

So, except for the perma-flagged PvPers, the only people who would flag would be people who had lots of reagents and other things, when you had none. So they would be summoning fire elementals, while you fizzle and use flame fist. Then the perma-flagged PvPers will also be level 100 with no reagents, and fight you with flame fist.

6. Drocis the Devious

I've never tested combat mechanics? How would you know that? How could you possibly make that claim?

The rest I won't even respond to.

7. Drocis the Devious

You're telling me I can't go to a store and buy reagents? You're telling me I would have no possible way to buy reagents? I have more faith in my resourcefulness I guess.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

That makes me wonder, I wonder if we can ban enemy players from using our pledge vendors :D

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

you have never seen past level 30, which you stated yourself.. yet you make allot of comments on level advantage between levels you have never seen. I was only going to state my disapproval of this idea with comedy but you managed to irritate me to the point where i am being unusually snippy which i apologies for.

10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Seems to be the same idea as throwing a /PVP switch in a game session, just a permanent one.

Just consider that you have created that liability for yourself if you ever decide to sell a highly leveled, highly pledged, account later.

11. Drocis the Devious

Ok, that fair to a point. I think I've actually been to level 36 or something, but whatever. You're right that I haven't been much higher than that.

But I've fought against players that were that high up. Have you fought against players that were level 70 when you were level 30? If the answer is no, this is an example of the other perspective you may not be very familiar with.

It's just not practical to approach any system using the elite levels as if everyone will get there eventually. The truth is, many players will quit long before that.

12. Drocis the Devious

That's a fair point to consider. Although I do have other characters on my account.

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

not 30 vs 70 no, but 50 vs 70+ yes and i actually won pvp tournaments at 59 vs levels 50 to levels 60 and 70. I also lost to a level 50 at level 100 and always had trouble killing a few level 70 players when i was 100. Levels do make a difference, all i am trying to say is it was not as big of a difference as you think..until this release with passive limits and now it matters a whole lot but that is getting changed again.

14. Drocis the Devious

Were right back to where we started from then. Why would anyone care if I was level 100 if it doesn't matter as much as I think? Maybe the devs should just make me level 100 and see how many pvp tournaments I can win? I'm sure you guys would love that.

After all, I haven't really tested those levels before so it would probably be really tough right? I'm not trying to be sarcastic about this, I'm just trying to prove my point. At the end of the day, you guys want the highest level because that gives you the best chance to win. All I'm saying is that it's a really odd way to distribute power, unless you're not at all concerned with the best player winning. Because in that system, the best player may very well get beat by someone with a lot of time on their hands.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

No i wouldn't mind that at all during pre-release, even with the current passive limit system i think you would find you don't get the result you are expecting. I think devs will actually be able to adjust player levels soon, so ask if it can be done for QA perhaps.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

"Best" is subjective. Even the top ranked tennis players in the world have their off days or have some bad luck and end up losing to a player 20-30 ranks below them.

My question though is, why is it a good idea to tweak a game that hasn't really been promoted as being PVP oriented first & foremost for PVP at the very start of the beginner's level? If it's really that important just have a sign saying "Go to the Oracle to have PVP protection removed [directions follows] ". This way, people have a chance to really think about that choice as they head there.

New players being what they are, some are going to impulse click on that choice and end up being ganked by those salivating high level PVP players you were talking about. Popular MMORPG's and MUDS have that PVP switch set at high levels for a good reason.

17. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Completely agree with this sentiment. The game needs to be developed with the idea that if you want to experience the full game that RG has spoken of many times, then it should have true risk vs reward from the very beginning.

18. Drocis the Devious

Good points there.

I think if we clearly explain the option, then we're just letting players make their own decisions. If someone made a mistake and wanted to reverse that, they could always delete their character and "restart".

Regarding the nature of the game being primarily non-pvp. I think that selective multiplayer has already determined that you can play how you like. To me this is simply a way for people that hate leveling but love pvp to avoid leveling just so they can pvp. It seems like a very fair feature to ask for from my perspective. It doesn't negatively impact anyone else or any other playing style. It just provides freedom to a playing style that is under represented in MMO's. I think hope that doing something like this would make us more attractive to players that don't lilke grinding but love competition - there are a significant amount of people out there like that.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They got tired of grinding

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Gandalf had lots of levels cuz he had tons of experience.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post, but ima leave it in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.