Request For A Coat Of Arms Please

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Aron Swordmaster, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Hey folks;

The latest Portalarium update has just reminded me I'm eligible for this... I'm hoping for something looking like this, would it be possible do you think?

[​IMG]

It would have opposing boundaries on each side (ignore the red, that was just to give me a clear line to paint quickly over) and either cow top right and fish bottom left or ideally, cow-rampant (someone add cow rampant!) on the left stood vertically, and fish curved vertically on the right (rotate the fish 90 degrees anti-clockwise in the mind's eye)... I'm new to this and have only just had the idea, so do let me know what else I need to do ;)

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Hello Aron - Great to see you get to have your coat of arms.

I have both good and bad news for you. As cows would not normally be able to be stood rampant, this charge would not be permissible. However, the field division and colour/metal of choice is indeed possible wiht the ankh. The fish in argent (silver/white) on the sable (black) field would also not be an issue - although it would look like the charge below (only smaller) - which is as you have in your concept above

[​IMG]

3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

4. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Bull rampant might work, aye! But it would possibly need to be mirrored around the central ankh, so Bull/Ankh/Bull, with Fish/Fish mirrored beneath, would that be creatable? I'm not sure yet what rules the game engine will be working on for designing shields, as your lovely tool is still in Beta so far.

5. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Personally I think with the border and a central ankh the arms would be too busy adding 3 bulls and 2 fish. May I suggest something like a chief (upper 1/3) with bull rampant to left and right and the fish center then the ankh by itself below? I think something like that would be less busy and easier to see.

*runs back out of the thread before Amber throws the Chaos Spoon at me*

NirAntae likes this.
  6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Grrr, still can't edit....
    adding 2 bulls and 2 fish. the first line, not 3 bulls :)

7. Amber Raine

Aye I have to agree that adding so many animal charges to your Arms would look terribly busy and might not be nearly as pleasing to your eye as you may think. Only reason i had mentioned no cow rampant is because is what our beloved Draconny queen had said last night, she did not want a cow. Although a bull and a cow are definately different things =^.^=

Ronan - don' t you have something else to draw? just teasing. Ronan has some great ideas almsot always Aron! Although my mind was seeing the ankh center with 2 fish chief (upper 1/3) dexter (left) and sinister (right) curved around the ankh. The choice of course is in the eyes of the arms holder. Of course the mirror is also possible with fish being base (bottom 1/3) dexter and sinister.

I would be honoured to be allowed to create it for you ~aims her chaos spoon at Ronan and sticks out her tongue~

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I have some concerns.

We have arms already that feature a central charge with 4 charges around it, so I'd want to see it before deciding it wouldn't look good.

Also, under our current rules, one sovereign can't vote down a charge. It takes 2. Why don't we want a cow?

The idea of fish curved around the top of the ankh sounds attractive to me.

9. Amber Raine

The reason given was that cows are not rampant. I only passed this forward so that Sir Aron would have work on his arms accomplished, my apologies if we can give bring to him such a charge. Still believe the Ankh with the fish in chief dexter and sinister will look very attractive will know shortly :)

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I didn't say no, I said "ew". Cows can't "rampate" or whatever you'd call it. I also looked and couldn't find any actual heraldic examples of it. So I asked Amber if she could find something else that might work for him. Saying it is not permissible on that ground was just a case of miscommunication.

11. Amber Raine

Here is my vision. Please keep in mind it is only concept so can still be changed up and will most certainly be cleaned up :)

[​IMG]

12. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Yes, that's sort of the idea I was aiming for with the fish, having them curved on one of the edges, so their own body acts as a visual effect... the question I don't know, and perhaps could be enlightened on, is if the SotA engine for heraldry is able to scale and freely place the individual charges? If so, bulls holding the ankh with the fish curled beneath it may look more pleasing?

This is where I've got so far; tell me if it's not possible please!

[​IMG]

The scaling and colour is a bit off so far, and there's no alternate border yet, but what do people think?

The whole has personal meaning to me; the colour scheme, and border pattern in particular matches the Lego castle I had as a child. (Look to the bottom figures for the border pattern I'm after)

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Falcons

Aron himself will probably pass away in SotA; Ultima IV was my second RPG in 1989, the name coming from a badly translated Sega Master System manual for my first game, and he's played in every roleplaying game since... but perhaps it's time for him to lay his head down and rest which is why I pushed hard to get to the Ancestor pledge level. He'll probably leave the world truly when Ultima Online closes, disappearing in Yew where he started way back then. The ankh is for his life in Old Britannia.

The cows are partly personal, as the first girl I ever fell for used to be teased for being a Mertyl Moo Cow, so of course I had to defend cows. Since then, it's become a bit of a hobby to cram cows in everywhere, and I've a pack of trained cows in UO too. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't persuade any of the Devs during the 1 year anniversary to address the lack of Cow content...

The fish are for the character I'll probably come to Shroud as; Nemo Herringwary, whose father was eaten by a Herring once and now he roams the sea beating up it's wildlife for revenge. I also run fishing related events in UO... I couldn't make the Fishing Dev Hangout unfortunately, but did get to chat with Lord British before and after, "Trout Of The Avatar" HAS to be the next expansion! So the fish will symbolise the newer character in New Britannia.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Ankh and fish at the bottom look like a pretty cool ship anchor from a distance.

14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Now see, I love the cow story!
    IMO No bull!
    cow statant or dormant in base, move the fish to the top of the ankh to either side.

15. Amber Raine

With that cow story, i am hard pressed to not fight for cows also !!..
    I believe I am seeing what Ronan is seeing and I would agree with his vision.

2 fish top either side, ankh, cow below ankh dormant (laying down, resting) - be like - she - was resting at your ankh (after your character leaves the world it would need a guardian) :)

Gabriel Nightshadow and NirAntae like this.
  16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I really like the cow dormant and fish on top idea, too. I think it would be a nicely elegant arms.

17. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Well both a Cow and the suggested Bull are not, as far as I can see, in the accepted Charges list yet, so I shall wait and see what decisions are made ... I like the anchor made with fish at the bottom, as they match the curve of the shield too, and I definitely want the alternate black/white border around the shield if possible. Scaling for neatness etc can come once I know what's allowed :)

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

We don't have an accepted charges list yet.
    The only list you can see is a gallery of proposed charges.
    Somebody will have to make a cow SVG and submit it.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  19. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Somebody make a cow SVG and submit it... the cowledge of arms requires it ;)

Also a bull.

And maybe a milk churn.

And cow pattern shield background.

Also cow pajamas for our avatars.

And... and...! :p

20. Bajan Grace

Bajan Grace Avatar

Speak of the devil, I was just mentioning how we need to get the cow SVG, I'll see what I can do but I'm not that great at it.
    Can you tell me what attitude we decided on the cow before I try and do it myself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.