Request For A Coat Of Arms Please

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Aron Swordmaster, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Cow dormant in base to fit the shield design with ankh and 2 fish above in pale sounds about what he was looking for.
    Now for the cow spot pattern...were the Holsteins with the black and white spots around in the 1400s?!? ;)

2. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

In real life, the earlier breeds of cows were single hued;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs

However we do of course have our own Mertyl Moo Cow in Owl's Head which has the now iconic black/white pattern, so the world of Shroud can be said to have it too. The cow pattern background was more of a joke of course... but for charges it might fit the heraldic rules?

Regarding my own heraldry, I'm not sure yet, I'd need to see what cow dormants look like first; I do prefer fish at the bottom to make an anchor with the ankh, but so much depends on the wider rules... Bring on the cows!

Ronan likes this.
  3. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CRIME?! Who noticed this thread and indulged in a bit of ruminant retconning?!

[​IMG]

4. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Have we had any moo'vement on designing cow/bull charges, perchance? I cowmand ye all to report thy labours!

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Apologies for the delay Aron. We've had a bit of a rough past few weeks. We're working out the kinks, though, and haven't forgotten about you! :) I'll look into it for you.

6. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Hi all; I've been looking at the new list of charges here, and it seems there are 2 cows and a bull in now. Having looked at the current generator here it seems what I want isn't going to be possible? Can I just check these are the following rules for a Coat Of Arms if I'm reverse engineering correctly?

1.) Individual charges or borders cannot contain more than 1 colour except where designed (so the half black/white ankh and the border are out because there's none with that design in the charges)
    2.) Individual charges can have a scale size, location and a rotation applied, so the fish at the bottom, or anywhere else is acceptable.
    3.) As they would be unique charges, one can be black and one can be white.
    4.) The cows and bull have been accepted and can be used by anyone, but a bull/cow rampant has not, and thus cannot?
    5.) One cow has clearly visible teats on it's udder, and is thus immeasurably superior. This is scientific fact.

7. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I understand the College is over worked at the moment; any moo'vement on this coat since please?

8. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

As proven by this thread, a Bull Rampant would be widely welcomed, as would maybe 400 different cow icons; how goes progress on my Arms then, perchance?

9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Hehe, the cow raises its udders!
    Somehow I just have not spent any time on this. No promises...my days have become rather busy.

General request for any folks out there with a bit of drawing ability... We need some decent looking cow illustrations. Must be your own original work, or public domain image. Prefer svg, but can work with any image file with a decent dpi count. Images must be simple no intense details as the image must represent a cow (not bull) from a distance so those details would get lost. Would like one head on of just the head, one from the left of just the head and one with the cow just standing head up, not grazing, profile.

Post any images here and we will adapt them if we can use them!
    Thanks!

Tahru likes this.
  10. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Ronan likes this.
  11. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

My friend and I had a go at making some basic shapes for you, please let me know if these are usable;

Cow Rampant Plain (svg file here).

[​IMG]

She got the body down perfectly, and I did the white details; (svg file here)

[​IMG]

I'm not happy with the head though, I wanted to give her some feminine looking eyes, hence eyelashes, but it's hard to draw something soft at that scale. The inner ear didn't quite come out either, and I pinched the nostrils from someone's deer :p Anyone who can draw, feel free to have a crack at making it better!

Cow Left Facing Head. (svg link here)

[​IMG]

She did the eyes this time, and I think it came out ok, but by all means request changes!

12. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Whoot! Cow Rampant with udders even!

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Had another fiddle, and how about this? ;)

[​IMG]

Scale of individual items still a bit off... but fish and ankh making an anchor, cows rampant, alternative colours... would this be achievable do we think?

Tahru likes this.
  14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I needs must converse with the rest of the remaining folks in the college, also not sure when item placement is automated the fish and ankh will give the desired effect. Will let you know! Love the Udder Cow Rampant!

Tahru likes this.
  15. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

[​IMG]
    As you can see, when the bordeur is applied correctly, there is not a lot of space left to play with. I can try and squeeze the fish in but I'm not sure they would be recognizable.

RDouglas likes this.
  16. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Hey there, been away for a while myself too, but thanks for the work so far!

Is the generator there operating on the same principles as the final Heraldry must take? I'm not sure what limits you are under when you try and create one, so I'm not sure if any suggestion I make is replicate-able ... After poking around, would the following be a fair summation?

[​IMG]

* Charges must be centred on the points shown
    * They must be rotated at 45 degree angles (coincidentally where the chaos star points)
    * They can be scaled to chosen size (but must be contained with the entirety of the Heraldry, no showing just an udder?)
    * Images can be reversed (not available in the generator, but you seem to be applying them)

RDouglas likes this.
  17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The generator is still a work in progress. It cannot yet do everything we want, or prevent people from doing what we don't want.
    Many times we use Inkscape or Gimp to manually position the charges, or rotate, or reverse them.
    You are welcome to do that as well.

18. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Sorry it's taken me a long time to get back to this, just been hellishly busy in real life the last few months. Here's a version with fish applied. They're rotated 90 degrees clockwise/counter clockwise and then positioned off centre at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Scaled down to 100 pixels, it looks like this;

[​IMG]

Ronan likes this.
  19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Nero, the arms are in the pipeline on the site. Usually takes 7 days or so to get through the process.

20. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Moovelous! Thank ye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.