Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request for Feedback: Heraldry Tool Preview

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Rok Yrikk, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So much this.
    It is one of those things where you are given a task where you from the start know that you can do some but not all happy. This due to past choices not made by you before your time.

My condolences as well @Rok Yrikk
    Especially since you have only been given to do the UI but people will at the same time have to critique the content which is someone else's decision.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't see it that way. I think it's an opportunity to create something really cool (it's already looking pretty cool).

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yes, that was never in question. But the creation of it already looks very painful ;-) just remember this: we got a lot of ppl that are really really good in this heraldy topic and a Dev that isn't ^^

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's a challenge! :)

5. .rhavin

.rhavin Avatar

Does it load in a browser?

SCNR

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm aware. However, if it's only going to display in a square in the middle of the chest it's going to impact what we use. Uploading is going to increase the problem, since even dying the cloth might not match the uploaded image.

I'd be fine recreating the arms to be something usable. Just tossing an image onto it and walking around with a square on my chest doesn't feel right.

Will it support transparency? Are the items dyable? Can you upload just a charge to use in the generator? Will the SotA logos (skill icons, town logos, ancestor, founder, benefactor, etc) be added soon? Those could easily be made into SVGs in Illustrator...

7. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have much love and appreciation for my Arms... from in game to the one that hangs in my room because of your recreation of it in the real world :) Had I not been able to keep it, I would have been a very very sad panda.

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

None of those points are mentioned in the post you made that I responded to. All of these additional points are questions we've asked for years and never gotten answers to perhaps we qill now. Andplusalso, it's more complicated than just converting an image to SVG. People have always been able to submit charges to be included in the generator. It's just that nobody ever does when they figure out how much work it is.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Lets evaluate what you are saying here because there are several scenarios which are not quite clear. Please note that this is not directed at you as the Web Dev but rather to Portalarium.
    1. True/False - Portalarium will not of their own accord add any new Charges before launch of this feature then the ones currently in the demo
    2. True/False - The way to create a new Charge to be included then players need to sign up for Github, then through (https://github.com/GeneaLabs/sotacoa.com) add the SVG+Code
    3. True/False - Portalarium has a selection process for player additions through Github ( TTP?)
    4. True/False - If players want a Charge that exist in the old generator (https://sotacoa.com/generator) they need to follow (2)
    5. True/False - If players want a completely newly designed Charge they may use (2) to do so
    6. True/False - Players can contribute Ordinaries by the same process as Charges.
    7. True/False - There is a date before which additions will make it in

10. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

Well here we go, the CoA generator I used always returned an image framed in a device, like my registered blazon:

[​IMG]

New CoA will support 256px x 256px blazons, but I obviously cannot reproduce mine which is what you see above.

Are the following charges going to be added?
    -Object_ Bajan Tree
    -Daedalus In His Agony
    -Sun

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Since I had created my arms so long ago, I wasn't even aware of the "new" generator. I can see why things are lacking, looking through the github. I could easily create the SVGs now, but I don't have the time or inclination to learn a new set of code just to make them work. We seem to have been defeated by the choice of framework.

Sorry, I started responding to your post since just uploading an image isn't going to be a realistic replacement for using the tool. I just built on that to try to show why, and what questions we need answered before we could give better feedback on the tool.

12. Lained

Lained Avatar

You have the charge names on the image alt attribute, sprinkle a little jQuery. *tada*

Ronan likes this.
  13. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Developer Emeritus

It supports transparency, it will be in png format.
    You cannot currently upload a charge to use in the generator, the charges available are taken from https://sotacoa.com/generator/new
    I am not planning on adding any art unless it is updated in the upstream repository - github.com/GeneaLabs/sotacoa.com

Yes, many features could be added with a sprinkle of jQuery :) The search feature exists on https://sotacoa.com/generator/new and was removed because the implementation used server logic. It was scrapped instead of replaced because it is not required in order for this to work, but would be nice to have further down the line.

1. I am not planning on adding any additional charges. Feel free to reach out to the COA guys for assistance with adding charges to the tool.
    2. I am currently using the github repo as the basis for the shroudoftheavatar.com implementation, if new features or charges are added there, I am able to easily integrate those changes into the sota website version.
    3. We are using the COA tool as-is (except for major bug fixes), and Portalarium has never been involved in deciding what charges exist on the tool.
    4. I am unsure what the requirements are for adding charges to the new generator, I would recommend reaching out to the COA guys if you have art that is in the old generator but not the new one.
    5. See 4.
    6. See 4.
    7. See 4.

I am not planning on adding any new art at this time.

14. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

My post was an attempt at just that, because I'm not familiar with github and haven't looked for another way to reach out to them.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

OK testing my report from here
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...raldry-tool-preview.112513/page-3#post-960722
    on a second computer. Using Chrome this time.

Bug Reproduced.
    The button with the up/down arrow and the button with the left-right arrow does the exact same thing to the image selected.
    They both flip along the vertical , and neither flip along the horizontal.

Bug reproduced.
    When adding and then deleting - eventually you will always end up with one 'ghosted' Charge which should have been gone with the deletion.

Continuing:
    8)
    Bug
    When selecting Issuant placement the size is wrong. It should be the same size as the central "Over All" position. But instead it is resized much larger to fill the issuant edge all the way.

9)
    Not a bug but instead a recommendation. Right now if one selects one of the Issuant placements they are cut off exactly in half.
    If one cannot move the Charges around by freehand/nudge, then that cut in half means that most Charges looks bad with that option, like the animals.
    Where if one instead use 45% cut outside 55% inside many more of the Charges makes more sense.

10)
    Bug
    If one adds a Charge
    Then Rotate it
    Then change the Position through the menu
    -the selected rotation is gone.

11)
    If I place the same Charge in both
    In Dexter Chief
    and
    Honor Point
    then the Dexter charge is about 15% larger than the Point charge

the same if I place bottom center and bottom right.
    So the Dexter and Sinister are larger than the Points.

12)
    The items in the Position menu are not in order.
    This makes it confusing when trying to do stuff like placing three objects in a line next to each other like Dexter-Middle-Sinister.
    Instead the '3x3' grid square placements should be in order top+left to bottom+right (westernized).
    There is also one missing which is the central position but not large. (Fess Point) for instance like so:
    [​IMG]
    Which would be Fess in Dexter, Point and Sinister in your grid.

Now if you insist on no resizing then I would suggest using different terminology for the Grid Center when it is large and solo and another when it is small with others. (Yes this wouldn't be historically accurate but much simpler for you)
    For instance using Pale point for one and Fess point for the other (in reality they are the same location on the shield since Pale is the vertical centre line and Fess is the horizontal centre line - where they meet is the center point).

Suggested order for the 3x3 grid:
    1. Dexter Chief (top left)
    2. Honour Point (top middle)
    3. Sinister Chief (top right)
    4. Dexter Point (center left)
    5. Pale Point (center middle *small*)
    6. Sinister Point (center right)
    7. Dexter Base (bottom left)
    8. Nombril Point (bottom center)
    9. Sinister Base (bottom right)

EDIT - Andernut's suggestion below to use the ordinary english words for the positioning is better - EDIT

Which would make the full menu go:
    • Fess Point/Over All (center middle *large)

• Dexter Chief (top left)
    • Honour Point (top middle)
    • Sinister Chief (top right)
    • Dexter Point (center left)
    • Pale Point (center middle *small*)
    • Sinister Point (center right)
    • Dexter Base (bottom left)
    • Nombril Point (bottom center)
    • Sinister Base (bottom right)

• Issuant Dexter
    • Issuant Sinister
    • Issuant Chief
    • Issuant Base
    Which is 14 choices, where you only have 13 today. (If you insist on the no resize)

Out of time again.

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken, the devs have stated you will be able to import original images... for a fee.

Very important distinction.

Spoon likes this.
  17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The terminology is neat to know but I think plain-text would make more sense for majority of users. For me, Nombril Point doesn't intuitively suggest bottom centre. Bottom Centre does intuitively suggest bottom centre.

Sir Aular Glorthalion and Spoon like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

EDIT:
    I just noticed that this preview wasn't in Dev+ so I can't quote starr directly, instead if you are Dev+ please follow this link to the quote.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/heraldry-items.109332/page-5#post-941084

However what is not totally clear from that quote is that it is the approval process (TTP) that would need to have its costs covered. Which then would imply that if they are already pre-approved by the old process then there would be no need for additional approval ...
    But I don't know, its unclear.

Sean Silverfoot and Bubonic like this.
  19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Oh that is much better suggestion than mine.
    Especially if it needs to be translated in any form.

20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

When you add charges and ordinaries, they don't necessarily line up in the center:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.