Request: List of Files to Seed

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by NirAntae, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I know that in general, all the seeded files are 'important', but many of the releases aren't crucial to keep seeding after the first few hours they are released.

Thus, can we keep a rolling-updated list of which files from the RSS feed are actually important to keep seeded? My torrent list is getting pretty huge. >.>

Ned888, Hazard and smack like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah at some point we're just really seeding to other seeders and not actual game clients that need it. They probably have the metrics to see how many older unpatched clients are still out there trying to grab those files. Or at some point they'll just force the older ones to uninstall and redownload a new client from scratch to help manage the number of patches to maintain/seed.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Hmm.. i just let the game launcher handle it...

skinned and Sir Frank like this.
  4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

My launcher doesn't upload, so to be able to help with seeding, I have it going on BitTorrent via the RSS :) But that's currently 27 separate files. o.o

5. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Sorry about that. I've culled the current feed a bit, it was at ~24 files, now it is at 18.

However, while many torrent clients will automatically download anything I add to the feed, they will not automatically delete or remove anything that I remove from the feed. So, you would have to manually handle that, but you could compare your files to what is currently in the feed to see what you could remove.

In general, only the last two 0-## patches is very useful, for example, once 0-62 is released, then 0-60, 0-59, etc are good candidates for removal. As for the non zero version patches, those would theoretically always be useful to have, for every public version we have released, since someone out there could be very out of date. However, in the future I hope to add better "jump" patches, so patching from 40-62 for example could be one or two patches instead of 10+. All that said, if you want to remove some files, just start by removing the lowest version number patches, since they would be used less often than higher ones.

Feed link for those who haven't seen it yet: http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/torrents/SotATorrentFeed.xml

NirAntae and smack like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Looks like I should remove the feed and current files and resubscribe. I've got like 31 files in my list :)

Thanks!

7. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, dead thread is revived.

BurningToad, just FYI but I ran the feed link through a validator and it's coming up with errors.

http://validator.w3.org/feed/

Sorry

This feed does not validate.

Not a big deal, as the feed works with most Torrent clients. It just happens to choke on one client that I've tried when I setup a file server recently, which was what made me run the feed through a validator to see what could be causing the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.