Request: Quiver w/ Cloak for Ranged Players

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Daigoji Gai, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Since I am against expanding character slots on the paperdoll (but come on, more rings! I have more than one ring finger!)

And hate I lose my cloak when rocking my quiver as I should....

COMPROMISE

QUIVER w/ CLOAK!

[​IMG]

Bonus points if you include daggers in one design, since that is my alt card deck... dual wielding poisoned daggers. Shhh.

2. stile

stile Avatar

+1

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  3. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I accept your plus one support brother, but never forget I am...
    [​IMG]

4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

While cloak and quiver is nice ....

Quiver at the BELT

Only silly elves in movies and hollywood archers were them on the BACK

Consider running with an quiver on your back ARROWS ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Reaching behind your head to pick a new arrow? Silly. You lower the bow to notch annew arrow so Quiver on the back = loooong way to move the new arrow.

Quivers belong to the belt as long you do not wear the quiver for posing reasons (or are an dumb movie elf)

But meh.. I would be ok to have booth on the back...still looks stoopid

5. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Meh. While at hip is an option I'm for, hold thy tongue!
    Robin Hood was no silly elf & he rocked a quiver on his back in 95% of the portrayals of him.
    Some iconic scenes from Kurasawa's Seven Samurai and Japanese archery tradition as a fact favors the quiver on the back and they aren't silly elves.

So there...

6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

So they are silly humans...
    The only time (still silly in my eyes) an quiver on the back works if you do not move much, run and it is arrows all over the place.
    I bet they had to set them very firm in the quiver for movie scenes....

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  7. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

YES and also no. Both. So in Japanese Kyudo archery (the formalized art/skill demonstration) back quivers were insanely firm/stiff, but that also assisted with posture.

[​IMG]

That said, the Samurai Yebira quiver, was more maleable/flexible. It could be worn on the back, but often was positioned on the lower hip, especially if using longer arrows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Meant to say they had to set the arrows very firm into the quiver if worn on the back...
    The hip is center of mass for pretty much all motions, so running around you do not risk loosing arrows as much as on the back (that moves very much so if moving hard) so if it is only an demonstration or formal you could probably wear on the back, then if you move in the woods you have twigs catching in it more if on the back (or set very low..)
    The one on horseback hip and back move similar so there not such an issue.
    Second, if you draw an new arrow and notch it you usual lower the bow so hip is again usual more practical.

No idea who put the quiver on the back first but simply not practical as long you do not ride an horse...

I do not use quiver but stick my arrows in the ground if i do not move around. (my teacher hates it...)

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  9. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

First, the Japanese and countless other cultures reduced risk of arrow loss while keeping back quivers practical; countless examples throughout history.
    If you look at the Yebira image above, though deteriorated, you can make out the knot mechanism that not only kept arrows secure during movement, but allowed for easy removal.
    In other designs was secured by a mesh net that literally you could do backflips in, not lose arrows and still remove them easily. I own a "modern" version done in the old style. They work.
    What is practical in some cases isn't in others, hence the wide variety of quiver designs depending on the situation.
    As for "stationary quivers"/sticking arrows in the ground, they actually had a holder for that; also used in Kyudo archery, samurai firing lines, etc when the archer has no need for movement:
    The Kari-Ebira.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Which not only allowed for stationary holder for arrows, could also be worn on the back or hip.

[​IMG]

e.g. while right hip was common [​IMG]

[​IMG] was also worn on back, depending on length of arrows.

A procession at the Tsurugaoka Shrine in Kamakura, prior to the yabusame tournament:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  10. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Essentially it depends on how you travel/traveled. Ever ride a horse with something large at your hip? There is a reason for that. I suspect most were worn on the back if riding on a horse. You could also have some attached to the horse's gear, but with it on the back you could dismount and still have your gear with you. Then if you were a foot soldier you could carry it elsewhere and some would then set them stationary on the ground when engaging enemy ranks. That's why there are so many variations. I wouldn't say that anyone is particularly better, just depends on usage and your needs atm. Also take into account bow size and size of arrows for said type of bow... big difference from English longbows and the Mongol bows of their horse archers.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Bring it all !!!

Daigoji Gai likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.