Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Requesting a Row Lot House With Accessible Flat Roof (Add-On is Fine)

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Taze, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taze

Taze Avatar

Would like to make a request, for a row lot house, with a flat accessible roof, for gardening.
    You are penalizing the row lot owners too much by not allowing them much room for gardening properly
    I know it has been mentioned a lot, but I don't see a post in R32 (if you do see please cross-link)

Its not breaking immersion, it could be an adobe row lot, they are flat roofed, 3 stories high and 4th story accessible roof, you would even have to give up some space for the hatch/ladder or stair access anyway, so in the end it would still only be enough room for 2 or so planting beds

This would at least allow us to participate in agriculture skills and have normal growth rate on more then 4 plants.

This would possible create extra income for portalarium, as you could make this a purchasable add-on house.

Thanks

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

It's not about breaking immersion or generating extra income the row houses add lots of player homes without the additional expense of rendering decorated lots, this is what they were designed for.

Public gardens are planned for a future release.

3. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Are you not rendering the stuff that is in the row house as you walk by already? I mean I can see deco in someones house as I walk by which I assume means I am rendering the deco items already. How is that different from stuff on the roof?

You maybe correct but I just am not seeing the difference.

Oh and I would love to have an open top floor on my row house btw.

Aimend and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Internal decorations load in much closer to the lot than external. You can notice this entering Owlshead, where there are a lot of external decorations near the entrance. Ardoris or Brittany Alleys would be 10 times worse than owls with intense outdoor item loading. That is why row lots only get 5 external decorations.

Now a row house with an enclosed greenhouse top level with a growing boost that still only loads the plants in close... would be awesome. ;) I'd buy at least two of those.

Shezep, uziraff, Aimend and 3 others like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

or reducing the growth rate penalty under the basement by half to make it more bearable. With 5 story row lots, there will be plenty of room for growing plants.

6. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Yeah I would think that since the roof is technically within the bounds of the house and you really can't see the items on the roof, it would be the same as being in the house. On a 4 story row house you probably wouldn't be able to see much on the roof from below anyway so maybe it could render in the same manner as items inside.

7. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Rooftops are still considered external areas of the house. This is why putting a candle on the walkway around the top of my Wizard Tower contributes towards my external lighting limit.

You can always grow plants in pots too. They can go anywhere I believe. I don't know what their indoor grow rate is though.

I'm just glad I upgraded to the tax-free village lot. I've got 6 large planting beds, 1 medium planting bed, and 1 small planting bed running right now. I'll probably be able to add another two or three large beds before my property is full around my house. Last harvest I had 80 cotton plants running and harvested a total of 400 raw cotton.

But I agree that flat roofs would be nice for row houses for agriculture.

8. Saosis

Saosis Avatar

Reading all the replies it sounds as if a planting pot put in front of a row house should get normal growth rate. Is that confirmed?
    Because when I tried that, I was told growth rate would be 0.1

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I fully agree! Please make it a 4 story stone row house with roof access and crenellations.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Regardless of whether or not a row house could have an accessible roof, row lots are limited to 5 outdoor decorations.

Saosis likes this.
  11. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

Is a vendor included as one of those 5 decos?

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think so. I believe you can only have one "pet" though.

Ordovicia likes this.
  13. Taze

Taze Avatar

You get 1 NPC (Pet or vendor etc)

That's 4 or 5 planting beds on a roof, would still be good, force you to make priorities on deco/planting

Lord Barugon likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes, so far, 1x is the grow rate for managing to stick plants on the outside of Rows.. I have managed to stuff two plant pots at my row, the steps clip wildly into the plant pots, but it works! I can even slide a medium (maybe even a large) planting plot under the steps, but that makes it hard to see what's growing.. but again, it 'fits'! :p The devs need to ensure steps can't be placed through I guess :D BTW, 2-story Stone row house.

Saosis likes this.
  15. Diedrich

Diedrich Avatar

I read a suggestion elsewhere that seems like a solution to this.
    They add a row house with a permanent greenhouse on top.
    The items and rendering would be indoors but row owners could have a place to grow.

16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Would a row lot with a flat roof devalue the Knight tier and people who paid $750+ for a usable roof?

18. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

Sheesh, if you're on the ground, you can't see what furniture or plants someone has on the roof of their 4-story row house, so there's no need to render them. This is a total red herring.

Personally I want a row house with a flat roof just so I can hang out and look around.

I think there are a few more differences than that between a Knight's house and a row house. Like, much more space, and space around the building itself.

19. Lained

Lained Avatar

When you hang out up there and look around with the 100+ other row lots that are now decorated you're now rendering it all, defeating the purpose of row lots.

20. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

You talk like you're a programmer. So consider this:
    • First, it's not clear that this is a real problem. Is rendering everybody's rooftop for as far as you can see really an issue? I mean, how many items are people really going to have on their rooftops? And how far can an avatar on his own roof really see? And how expensive is it really to render all these things? I doubt it's anything like as bad as you think it is.
    • Second, if it indeed is a problem, it is pretty straightforward to put in an LoD rule for rooftop distance that only fetches data on the rooftop's content from the server if you are within a reasonable distance from it. Like, maybe you see the next two or three houses in each direction but not further. 100+ is a huge exaggeration.
    Really and truly, the idea that we can't have rooftops on our row houses because of performance is a red herring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.