Reshape and Rebuild , please help me with your input

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Stundorn, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Spoon and @all
    I made a new thread about the whole Topic maybe you and others who have more knowledge of the game can help me.

1st I allways have 2 archetypes I like to play. It's the viking wizard as it actually is and a sort of Samurai or Ronin and maybe this too with some magic or maybe "ninja" techniques like shadowwalk for example or maybe tricks like a Doppelgänger.

About Gamemechanics...
    I don't have fun playing atm although I like the combate system, I like the decks and I am totally fine with everything about combat, but what I really miss is some feeling of
    "Yeah I've done it!" I am on my way to become a hero an avatar, someone who can fight, epic fights.

I see people who loose against me in Duells fighting Mobs and/or scenes I cannot, just because of my light armor I think, and although I raised some innates, added some earth magic etc...

It's just that I began to dislike my characzer, because he is not very good in soloing things.
    But I like and are doomed to solo more than I go with groups, because I loose attraction in pure grinding groups after some time and i play more slow paced than the most players.
    It's not because I cannot play faster or grind etc. I just don't like to do it for more than 1 or 2 hours.

So I want a character who is more soloable and because of the roleplay thing I think I want to change it all and reshape him to the samurai/ Ronin/ Ninja archetype I like too.

Do you think that the following schools would make me somewhat better prepared or am I on a wrong way and in the end it will just be the same problem?
    Maybe less magic resistent Mobs, because I play more melee, but then I ask me, if I go melee with the Ardoris Guard armor (I don't like the Shogun armor) which is light leather, if this is wise.
    But it's important to me to identify myself with my character (immersion etc...) And I don't want to play in a european medieval knights armor when I want to be a samurai or Eastern swordsmaster with Katana etc...
    My plan about Magic would be to still use Moonmagic (then I would have a use for the teleport skill Night Step) and still some Shadowwalk, Animal Charm, Moonbeams etc.., Life magic to heal myself and Chaosmagic,but also stick to some additional spells that I actually like to use like blink and dash.

Or is this not enough, do I have to choose additional magic damage spells?

The thing is I am never a shiny hero, but also no dreadknight.
    Death, Fire and Sun Magic are the trees I am less interested in.
    I am more a sneaky, hidden Person, but I don't want to be a pure Assasin, although it actually sound like this because of Moonmagic.

It's no easy decision and need to be thinked over very good.

Second account is no option, I never would have time to play more than one character.
    I always have only one character i fully concentrate on and immerse into the world with.

Actually my Character is fine about Roleplay and all that, but it's not fun playing it atm, I am doomed to only use no reagent Spells, because costs to high for the amount I'm playing, I am not able to fight solo in a t4 scene with rangers and mages , I can fight some of them but cannot explore as the respawn is faster than I kill .
    T3 is boring, no challenge, but also no feeling of beeing powerfull.

Maybe it's just to wait for nerfs or balancing, maybe I will regret my decision, when I sometime in the future go PvP, but actually the competition about raising skills and such seem to me that I am as a casual gamer can forget about PvP here. But who knows.

I really don't know, actually I don't like logging in because pve with my character feels bad.
    I cannot explore things alone as I am still not able to go into mines or through the Spindrift passage and all that .

All constructive input is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Roycestein Kaelstrom and Spoon like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Will reply later - if I forgot simply nudge me again.
    :D

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Have to add, maybe then I like it more to grind with my char , don't know.
    I really don't like to be attacked from so many mobs and need to kite and pull more and more mobs.
    I can manage and I learned to not to pull more aggro, but it just feels too bad atm and doesn't make fun, neither let me feel I am something special. As is stated very early, when I just played for 3 or 4 month and went with some higher chars and feel worthless.
    I still feel worthless and I wanted to be the healer.
    Now I sometimes can save a life , but it's not what I know from other games where I was a healer or a full tank and every group wanted ... need me or when I was a Ranger and Assasin or a Mage and could really do damage.

The Magebuild i have isn't that bad, but if you don't grind and make money you need to stick to spells without reageents.
    The loot in scenes with yellow mobs to develop my har is really not even nearly enough to compensate my costs if I would build a "cool and powerfull" deck.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

May i ask if you are using any defensive skills? I've used leather from the start and have build up my skills around avoidance rather then resistance. What i do in battles is use dodge, Fortify defense and Ice shield (all locked). There are a couple of others as well you could try out. Using defensive skills is a must when running leather or cloth armor.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yes.
    Dodge, defensive stance, all light armor innates, earth's embrace, douse against fire, sometimes iceshield (but less since i use Def Stance).
    Always int, dex and str buffed, always eaten food like corpion x, crocodile skeweres or bear suprise ..., both earth innates around 50.
    around 450 HP,

Edit: thanks to Rutte , now France need to make the next clear statement ;)
    Sorry for ot :rolleyes:

6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Stundorn, If a Ninja is one of the archetypes you consider playing then give Sara Dreygon a shout. I was about to give up on my swordsman until her advice and would not trade him now for any other mage/archer build. You use cloth/leather? Try mixing it up with at least one piece of chainmail so you can see what the Heavy armor tree can offer.

7. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I have a couple more questions for you.

- Are you using a rotating or a locked deck?
    - If you are using a rotating deck, how many glyphs did you put into 1 deck?

That is good, so you have the basics covered. One thing though, what are you doing to lower the hit chance of the things you are fighting? For example, if you lower their dex and yours is high, the chance of being hit will be lowered. So using a skill like blind (sun tree) for example could be great for you. It lowers dex and avoidance.

One more thing, combat is (currently) all about doing more damage to what you are fighting. One of the most important skills you will ever level is your main weapon passive, since it adds pure dps to your attacks. Getting that up is quite easy and doesn't cost too much xp compared to other skills. Perhaps raising it could help towards your goal?

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, one of the first skills I raised to GM is shields and all defense skills (like deflect and the earth passives), mobs can barely touch me any more (5 skull cultists of the 900 hp type).

discipleofweb likes this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Rotating with just a few fixed like blink to get away if near dead and icefield to always able to kite.

Pure Mage 2 Wands,
    Main Damage spells icearrow 80, obs Arrow 66, discharge 80. ( no reagencies)

Just 3 trees i dont like for RP and immersion death, Fire ( but thinking of using Fire Arrow additionally) and Sun
    ( but use the int buff allways)

Most decks between 27 and 30 glyphs to have them fast available again.
    I figured out that more glyphs made it to slow to redraw glyphs.

That's why i think about to let the pure Mage thing go and use a weapon again (used Pole and have 3 skills around 70, but if i reshape and rebuild i want to be a eastern swordsmaster with Katana)

Edit: @2112Starman tried a shield (without points into) doesnt fit for me as a mage.
    Another Thing is. As mage you need more trees, glyphs and would have easy too much to build a good deck with quick redraw times.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Spoon because you are posting on less interesting threads :rolleyes::p

Done, where's my reward? :D

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hehe.

So my first advice when it comes to combat: don't listen to me. I'm rubbish.
    :D;):D
    However I know some of the theory. Some would say too much.

Then in no particular order
    • Effectiveness - I think most semi casual players feel that way. The skull appropriate creatures are way too easy but the creatures one skull up is way too hard. I could go into the math why that is so in this game but needless to say if you don't want to min max that is how it will be even if you switch.
    • Sounds like you are restricting yourself due to cost for reagents. You want that feeling of power but you earn too little gold to afford the reagents. So the advice then would be 1) get a good supply of reagents from a player who can offer a discount 2) have at least two decks: one which is cheap and an alternate which is power one to earn and one to spend 3) your plan to add more melee works wonders from an economy point of view since the top tier attacks don't cost much more than base in melee trees
    • Ronin - so have you considered bow? This since it was the weapon of choice of ronin and samurai and it is kinda effective in SotA. Or maybe a naginata ? Why I ask about different weapon choices is because swords have most combos with fire and you don't like fire.
    • Armor - what makes the style of ronin or such is mostly the chest piece and the helmet. So to be a more efficient caster I'd advice cloth gloves at minimum and maybe consider some of the other pieces like boots and legs as well. I think the Ardoris peasant is cloth IIRC. This would reduce fizzle.
    • I'm guessing that your Viking Mage use light armor already, so before switching completely then why not try it out? Just add that melee weapon you'd want train that for 5-6 h to get it decent. Then try out the combat you think would fit that RP style. See if it gives a different feel. Then given that think again if you want to change.
    • Is a sword Mage ronin type viable? Absolutely. Will it be better than your Mage? Not by much.
    • The thing though it sounds like you are dipping into lots of magic trees right now, but the edge of the Mage is in attunement and to get that you need to go deep and high into one tree at a time.
    • One note about the feeling of power. When I've tried Mage before persistence it left me feeling less powerful. Not because I didn't do enough damage or anything like that. Quite the opposite I was more effective as Mage. But it was just that all of that kiting. It made me feel like I was running away - retreating all the time. And due to scene design, you have to kite in circles lest you aggro everyone and their grandma. Tight claustrophobic circles. That made me feel less umph even if it was more effective. So I switched to melee with more armor, simply because I can stand my ground. Just a thought.
    Ok that should be enough for an appetizer, let me know your thoughts.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Spoon yes you are right with all of it.

My circles are 3 feet wide.
    And i run that circles with 10 Bandits behind me :D:p

Sword Fire combo is something i didnt know or are aware of until. good to know.
    Bad choice for me.
    Maybe i should consider to grab my Pole again, wear some better armor pieces and let the Viking wizard become more accepted by his fighting brothers ( Seidmenn often was laughed at, because magic was more for women, but hey even odin did it, maybe because this he wasnt the 1st god to the most vikings, what people often believe).

Ok then, i try out more things with my seidr and go back to some roots, which maybe fit more what i want to do.
    Compromises to roleplay, but less than rerolling the character.

Whats less Fizzle 1h with shield or 2h polearm?

And yes, bows were on my mind since day one (often played Archers, and like kiting, but here it actually feels exactly like you described, somewhat bored of it now, but in Duells it's OP)
    First i didnt want to have more costs, but Arrows are cheap now.

And i have to think if switching from magic arrows to fists or should i stay on Magic arrows to prevent mobs to flee?

Oh wait, i made a close combat and a Ranged deck, good for atunement too.

Your suggestion and that you understand my concerns help.

Thank you:)

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Going by site names etc then it seems that Odin was much more popular by the Svear and Götar and that Tor was much more popular by Danar and southern Norway. Also that Odin was more popular in larger towns and cities while Tor was more popular in rural areas.

Depends on your prime stats and which tree. For instance iirc then STR adds damage to fists and earth in particular, while INT/DEX adds damage to arrows and air fire in particular.
    But if you hover on them you should get that info in the tooltip.

But usually I've found fists more effective than arrows due to casting time and cooldowns.

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Spoon
    So i buyed a chainmail chest, equiped a +4 Copper Spear and a Shield with slight Boni of dmg reduction and Avoidance, what some gifted to me to try out. The chainmail chest is from the vendor.
    I build a Deck with Polearm, Def Stance, Healing, Buffs, some CC and tryed out some variations of this.
    To make it short, I can fight without kiting necessary but I am too bad at all, even in T3 I cannot handle what I am used to handle.
    Ofc I need to learn and maybe rebuild the deck, but then I thought, no that's not fun to fight this way :confused:

And I looked horrible with the chainmail chest, but that I would tolerate if it would be better to play.

Somewhat desperated now, but i now want to find out where i can pve beside of Serpent Spine and Twins Foothills to get XP and Obsidian chips and all that.
    I also think over to use some more high-level spells and to try to make more money to buy reagencies.
    I also plant for myself, but I have less time to do it all and clicking the well for 1h isn't fun, and that's not nearly the water you need for my small field.

Less time, not having fun grinding and repeating the same for hours is maybe limiting me so much, that I maybe wrong here playing this game.
    It seems it's all about spending more time and willing to repeat things over and over again than i am willing and able to do.

And getting pushed by groups all day feels bad to me too.

I am curious of the singleplayer and how people should play the game solo.
    It feels unbalanced from this point or I am just to dumb to make it or my self choosen restrictions are my fate, I don't know.

Really I want to play the game, interact with the world and the Roleplaying people, don't have a problem to sometimes group and go for efficiently grinding in Sequanna, DR or whatever , but I really feel helpless and feel no progress.
    And I am really sad about just having 2 or 3 scenes I need to farm to have enough gold to then spend this gold while trying to gain XP in scenes that are just costy and very hard to play for me , and that's just t4.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@sturndorn, Brother if you want to try something out pertaining to my earlier reply try this for a bit: 1)Get a cheap set of chainmail armor or at least use the chestpiece you got (If my computer had not crashed or I can get it fixed I will donate you the full used constantan chainmail set I have saved). Go into the Heavy armor tree and raise "Body Slam" (dmg plus 3 second stun) and deflection as well. Use sneak attack once the mob is stunned then thrust and rinse repeat. If you like the result then we can talk some more unless Sara contacts you first. Try a simple deck with Body Slam, Sneak attack, thrust, thrust locked then add whatever other stuff you feel confortable with for the next 6 slots. I prefer using a full bronze chainmail set for the dmg boost and a two handed sword with as much str and dex as possible. I use only two necro spells which are death touch and corpse explosion though you may not want to use them due to RP. Instead use heals from the life tree if you wish.

One other thing, If you want to pull mobs use your obsidian arrow until the mob is close then use body slam then start to carve it up. R/Boris/El Pirata

Don't know too much about Viking lore but I am sure they had some tough two handed blade wielders in their history. Wishing you the best brother and hope you have as much fun with this as I am having. Make sure you always use defensive stance and if you have a water ellie bring her along for the small heals. I am only at adv level 86 yet 10 bandits at a time in Twin Foothills are fun and I hardly use any regs at all.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Spoon and Stundorn like this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Thanks @Boris Mondragon

I will consider this, and as i answered your pm of course there was legendary swordsmen and also swords in Viking Legends.

The Serpent Spine or Twins Foothills Bandits arent the problem.

But i may have a plan to more go against
    Undead Sorceres now, because i just explored the soothing rain ban undead combo and maybe going to build something around it.

But thank you and i maybe will try out this, but to get the skills i need some training and xp and all.

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well in offline mode it will be easier, but for single player online then everything will be hard since it is balanced on multiplayer.

Regarding planting:
    Don't do it if you see it as a chore. Instead try to get a good deal from a player who enjoys such.

Regarding chain:
    I thought you wanted to keep the light armor for the dash, less fizzle and such?
    One step at a time sounds easier and better so don't switch both armor and attacks at the same time. Start just by having the weapon added, then when that feels like it should you might consider next thing.

=}

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.