Resource Variability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lebowski, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Just had an idea for SoTA. I don't know if this has been proposed, and I don't know how crafting resources are expected to work in this game. I'm actually borrowing this idea from Star Wars Galaxies, which some of you may be familiar with. It was one of several things I really enjoyed about SWG, and I felt they did a good job on. Let me know your thoughts, good idea, bad idea, etc.

I thought it would be neat if resources had variable stats. For example, not only would you have different types of metals, but you would have different grades of each type of metal based on randomly generated stats. These stats would ultimately have an affect on the quality of the armor, clothing, weapon, etc that was crafted using the resource. Therefore, not only would you need to be a GM blacksmith to make the best armor, but you would also need to have resources with the best stats currently available. I thought this would add a neat dynamic that would greatly affect the market for both resources and crafted items, and probably lead to some fun speculation about future resources. For example, iron ore with really good stats could "spawn" for a week. A miner could hoard this particular grade of iron and bet on the possibility that nothing better will spawn for a long time. If he bets correctly, then he could be a rich man if he sells at the right time. You get the idea.

Additionally, the availability of these different grades would essentially depend upon location. Location within a mountain range or location among mountain ranges. One mountain may have a resource with a particular stat while the other does not. One side of the mountain could have a greater percentage of the resources while the other side has a lesser percentage. OR the better stats could be located in more dangerous areas of the map. In SWG new stats would be generated on a weekly basis if I remember correctly. Also, their availability was dependent on what planet you were on and where you were on that planet.

Obviously there is a lot to talk about with something like this, but I hope you get the idea. I thought it would be neat, but it may not be right for SoTA. I don't know. You decide.

This link basically gives you an idea of how it works and what stats they had under the SWG system: http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Resource

2. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Sounds interesting, however with as little as we know about crafting, and even less about resources and resource gathering. Be hard to know what is feasible.

If there is limited amounts of each resource for each craft, I would really like to see this idea used.

If there are quite a few variations already this could be redundant and make crafting that much more complicated.
    It would also make the market for resources a lot more complex.

Overall definitely interesting.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Yea I'm hoping for something more complex than what was on UO...even though I certainly enjoyed how it was set up on uo.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

As long as "better" gear is strictly cosmetic, I don't have a problem with it.

5. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Why is that?

6. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Depending on how it is, I could only imagine....
    10 tops of metal, 5 different categories for rolls... creates 50 different categories

Trying get enough of the top end metal, with the top end roll to make a suit of plate.... ooooo buddy!

7. smack

smack Avatar

From the Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills post:

Gathering:
    • Generalized Skills:
      • Surveying: Increases range that resource nodes are visible
      • Speed: Increases the speed that resources are gathered
      • Quantity: Increases the quantity of resources gathered from each resource node
      • Quality: Increases chance to get higher quality resources from each resource node
    So given that, let's use Mining as an example. There will be many different types of ore, so based on our Quality skill, it would determine the grade of the ore. The tool we use will determine the chance of success of mining that grade of ore. The higher the Quality skill the higher the grade we could potentially mine. The better the tool, the higher the chance of mining that higher grade of ore.

I definitely do like the resource variability (type, quantity, quality) based on density of the node as well as its location. That aspect of SWG I enjoyed quite a bit. So in this mining example, certain types of ores may only be found in certain locations. Certain qualities of ore might only be found in the deepest dungeons perhaps. The quantity of that ore and the quantity of the higher grade ore can all be affected by its location as well spawn rates. And we know that there will be dynamically generated contested resource nodes at random times in the game.

Lebowski and monkeysmack like this.
  8. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Has it been stated that SotA is going with the Node style resources? Last I read it was still undecided

Or could the quality there be refering to getting the next higher resource level?

9. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

man i so hate nodes.

Ristra and Sir Kiron Maedun like this.
  10. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Nodes ruin resource gathering for me...

Gracekain likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Most likely still undecided, but given that they're using the "resource node" terminology in their description of the skill it's likely what they're leaning towards, but that's just an assumption. But they haven't provided the definition of how they use "resource node" in their description.

12. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I could live with nodes, but in my opinion, if you want gathering to be immersive and actually take some thought, get rid of nodes. I have played wow and mining and herbing in wow is so mind numbingly boring and takes NO effort to do. It is just utterly boring and a waste of time.

13. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Whew.... makes me feel better.... Was thinking I was going to have to buy all my resources.

14. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Couldn't agree more! I refused to do it... I just bought what I needed. Then again, the crafting system in WoW with gains was pretty much the same way.

Gracekain likes this.
  15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Crafting in WoW was a boring waste of time for sure. All of your crafted gear was garbage compared to dungeon/raid stuffs...I'm glad this game is going away from all that...I will always be a crafter/gatherer. I want my stuff to be worth making for my character and others...not easily replaced by something found off a body or in a chest.

16. smack

smack Avatar

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

smack likes this.
  18. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

19. smack

smack Avatar

Totally forgot about that one, Ristra, thanks. We should bump that thread and prod Bzus or Chris to respond :) Then again, I just name-checked them in this thread, so we'll see!

20. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

Getting a little off topic here haha. Oh Well. I didn't play WOW very much. When yall say nodes are you talking about visual locations where ore is present rather than just clicking generally on the side of a mountain (as in uo) where there are veins of different types of ore? If so, then I don't think I would be in favor of the node idea. I much preferred how it was done in UO and SWG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.