Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Banish Undead is less powerful than Sun Magic vs. Undead

Discussion in 'Release 42 Bug Forum' started by Poor game design, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Banish Undead is far and away less powerful than Searing Ray (from the Sun Magic School)

This doesn't make any sense. Banish Undead is 1. A higher tier spell than Searing Ray. 2. ONLY WORKS AGAINST UNDEAD.

Banish Undead should be 25% more effective than any other spell that we have against undead.

This is not how it should be designed. It has to be a bug. Please investigate and fix. Thank you.

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos
    What is your sun and life attunement? Are both skills GMed? Any chance you can give me some number comparisons and which undead mobs are you comparing them to?
    I ask because I'm not exactly able to enter this in the system as a bug unless we have something more black and white to work with - such as, it is not working as it is described in the skill description. Otherwise, it is considered game balance and suggestions.

But yes, both GMed Sun does slightly more damage with a slightly longer cooldown time, assuming attunement is the same with no gear. But I've seen healers one shot kill in DRW all over the place with just undead stacked...together with sun it is pretty wild.

3. Drocis the Devious

I've leveled up searing ray and banish undead at the same pace, while keeping my Sun and life attunement roughly the same. While killing all kinds of undead in DRW it's obvious to me that searing ray is significantly better than banish undead. I would encourage you to test this yourself.

4. Drocis the Devious

Ok, I think I've figured this out.

If you are not raising the innate skill Life Power, then you will not see a proportional increase to Banish Undead vs. Searing Ray. So yes @Lexie, I agree this is a design issue. It means that Searing Ray vs. Banish Undead is MUCH more powerful. It even appears to mean that by in large even with Life Power being at a moderate level (40 to 60) it's still more or as powerful. I believe this is wrong because Banish Undead can ONLY hit undead and Searing Ray can be used all over the place. Not to mention my previous statements in the OP. So I would ask that you have this design reviewed and increase the power of Banish Undead or reduce the power of Searing Ray against the undead. It makes more sense, but it also provides a viable reason to train in Banish Undead in the first place.

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

One critical difference you've left out is that Banish Undead is AoE while Searing Dead hits only a single target.

6. Drocis the Devious

If banish undead is AOE, that's the first time I've heard of that.

I just tested it and found no evidence of it being AOE. The description doesn't read that it's AOE.

Does anyone else think that Banish Undead is an AOE attack?

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Many people THINK its aoe cuz of the animation, but it is not aoe. I have had to correct a ton of people about that.

8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Maybe they mistook Cleansing Rain (Smoothing rain+Banish Undead) as Banish Undead?

9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

They need a different animation then (or better yet, actually make it AoE). I found the description ambiguous on how many targets it will hit.

SkyeBors likes this.
  10. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

That's true, Banish Undead is not an aoe...it does direct damage, and it will only hit one at a time. Normally, it is the one right in front of you if you don't have one selected already.
    In my opinion, banish undead is very powerful for heavy life specs, especially if they use both BU and Searing Ray in their deck. But that's just my opinion :)
    Since this has turned into a discussion and not a black and white bug report I am moving this out of the bug forums.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

any chance you could check to see if it's on the list for a new animation? this isn't the first time the animation LOOKING like an aoe has caused confusion.

12. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

While it is true that I kill undead very easily, I maintain a major disadvantage against every single other monster in the game.
    Now I have just entered an easy mode encounter with skeletons. I did 47 and 68 damage with a lv 76 banish undead to kill an easy green skeleton.
    Searing ray at level 40 did 33 and 35 damage (At night) and 32 and 41 (At day)

Now according to the stats of these items at lv 40 Searing Ray does 10-71 damage. Banish at lv 76 does 0-128 damage.
    Banish also costs me 3 reagents. Searing ray is free.
    Banish is 15 focus. Searing Ray is 12 focus.
    Life attunement is 112. Sun attune is 34.

Now lets go back to the damage. I have rarely ever done 120+ damage without critting.

So Banish can be used ONLY against undead, making it useless against most enemies. Unlike fire or water where it's only immune to one or two things, Banish is weak to everything but undead. This makes it useless for everyday play and not worth having on my bar.
    Searing Ray on the other hand can damage undead, gets a bonus from sunlight, and it is free to use.

Once I reach lv 80 Banish Undead, I will remove it from my bar and never use it again because it is absolute garbage.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  13. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

It was AoE before the wipe, which is why the effect is an AoE looking effect. The primary reason it lost the AoE was, I believe, it can be a spell that can be put on a weapon. Once you had a banish sword (or two!), the undead would just stop being a threat. I'm not sure why the option of making a separate weapon-only version wasn't considered.

Considering it's a recurrent question people have, the appearance needs to be addressed, at least. Also, when you consider it's so specialized-use, it needs to either get it's AoE back (with a non-AoE for weapons), or have it's power GREATLY improved.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.