Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Excessive Lag in scenes hosted by other players

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Nelzie, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

If I'm in a scene on my own, everything is running fine, but a couple of times when I've been in a scene where another player had already started up the scene, I am experiencing excessive lag issues.

I'm talking 3 to 5 second pauses between actions, MOBs teleporting or rapidly sliding and it's making scenes with other players an unfulfilling experience.

NOW, it's not every single scene. It's been in the Crag Foothills twice, but it wasn't the case when I was in The Rise, grouped up with a guy, who as in the scene before I loaded in AND there was a third player elsewhere in that instance.

This has happened BEFORE R58 and since R58 has been released.

The other players in the scene that are "hosting" it do not appear to be having any issues. All I know is that if they were experiencing this kind of lag, they wouldn't be having fun in those scenes, which makes me think there MIGHT be some shenanigans involved, but I'd have to start digging through piles of network traffic and review some packets to find out if there is any of that.

Perhaps I should just go to playing online, alone or in the with friend's mode and maybe experience far less lag?

Feeyo likes this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

It will not help... A few of us have been complaining about this already now for 4 months.

3. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

I looked at the logs and found average RTT (round-trip-time) between your client and the server of over 500ms. Samples from the past 7 days: 359, 828, 1093, 125, 531. The RTT of 125 was from the Friday morning session, and was the only time I saw a good ping time. Most US players see a RTT of around 125 ms. European connections usually run about 250ms. So there's definitely a network connection issue here, though it's hard for me to say what what might be causing it. The networking design of Shroud requires communication between clients, so your best quality play experience will be in single-player (online or offline) when your client is experiencing poor connection quality. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Jaesun, Elrond and Nelzie like this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Thank you for looking into this. I'm in a decent area with a solidly fast Internet connection, with many games, I typically see very low ping rates, for example with Mechwarrior Online, I have often been sub 20ms.

I'll do some reviewing of my connection speeds from my end, but it seems like there's something more likely going on with these other clients, with the way I have read this game operates and or up at your end.

5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So your stating that if I enable single player (online) my game will disable the SotA network communication with other players, and I will always host the scene myself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.