Response to Crafting Deep Dive

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

But last i checked we weren't talked about magical items or weapons crafted from metoerite ore. I certainly wasn't. We were talking about commonplace items made from iron and steel that just randomly gain strength. As I said earlier, I am all for magical items having an affinity you grow with.

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Perhaps *all* material is innately magical in this realm ? By that logic one can have a "commonplace item" grow in affinity over time.

Perhaps too as a counterbalance, rarer materials have a greater magical affluence, allowing them to gain affinity quicker than say plain old iron.

As Margard mentioned, as long as it is consistent with the lore, then there should be little issue. :)

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

They said the most powerful items will be created by player crafters. That leads me to believe that the more powerful player crafted items will be magical/supernatural.

However this isn't an item based game. In other words, a player with "skills" should be able to do as well as a well equipped person who just stands next to a monster and has weak skills.

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I agree, though what you mentioned does not preclude the ability for all items to be considered innately magical, and possess the capability of affinity.

Simply that a crafter with sufficient skill and effort can imbue a more mundane object with greater magical prowess, and make it even better. :)

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The SotA's crafting system is dynamic. Don't forget about the enchantment skills! You can enchant items with spells. So not only will we be able to enhance our items and make them more powerful, who knows, a supremely enhanced breast plate might also allow you to cast a strength spell as a standard action in combat because it has been enchanted.

So I definitely think it's possible to create magic items in this game, and more robust ones than we've seen crafted in other games.

NRaas likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can't say I care much right now about how enchantments or gaining natural strengths work. So long as they all run the risk of breaking if you don't take care of them. The last thing we want is a market saturated with gear because none of it is truly removed from the economy.

I say natural strengths to distinguish between the idea of weapons gaining strength and actual enchantments. Something I might add.. that is NOT random. In order to have a minor bonus in kobold slaying for example you'd have to kill 1000 kobolds with it or something of that nature. That exact specifics as to what an item could gain is still very much up in the air and could be as simple as achieving the title "kobold slayer".

I don't know that anyone is particularly sold on actual bonuses being added.. rather I think it's just the concept that items gaining a history and a certain measure of fame that is factor behind the idea.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Margard

Margard Avatar

This has probably been mentioned ... but they can also add an ointment / a maintenance tool - that you would have to apply every time you go on a journey

This will halt or greatly reduce wear on weapon only

This could be the mechanism to allow for people to extend the lives of weapons to gain its affinity

Say the lifespan would be doubled if you were 100% in taking care of your sword ... or something to that effect

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

hmm I rather favor breakage odds when durability drops below a certain point. Theoretically you could maintain an item forever.. if you're diligent. but that's a pretty big if. :)

A little clarification if I may as I find many comments regarding affinity to be ambiguous. Affinity refers to the character's skill with a specific item rather than any property of the item itself. It is not the weapon that gains affinity.. it's the character that gains affinity with the weapon.

Example: There are many different long sword designs. Different designs have different weight.. balance.. even different lengths within a certain defined range. Affinity is becoming accustomed to these differences. So your skill in wielding a specific weapon is slightly better than wielding a new weapon of the class that you're not accustomed to.

Affinity is often mentioned alongside the idea of weapons gaining status or bonuses through use. Both ideas came about around the same time. I believe gaining power was original Mugly Wumples (sp?) and affinity MAY have been sparked by something I said elsewhere in the vain of the example I just gave. All I know for sure is a short time later RG brought it up in chat. :) but they are two separate and distinct ideas but one is item centric and the other is skill centric.

Item status/bonuses would stay with the item should it even change hands.. they're part of the item's history. Affinity however does not transfer as it is part of the character.

Time Lord and Margard like this.
  9. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

Have to say I like Final Fantasy's system of crafting skills where you can influence the chances of success and quality turning crafting into a sort of mini-game. With the right skills and combinations, a skilled crafted can guarantee good results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.