Ressources like in UO or random spawm? -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Sinclair, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

i mean if it eats up a lot of time and resources to have a free form gathering system, resources needed for more important parts of the game, then by all means then go with nodes. But i hope they are not just going with nodes just because its simpler.

I played another MMO beginning of last year that had nodes, and just to see if i could, I parked my toon next to a node and mined it like normal. I then looped a VERY simple program that mimics mouse clicks and had it click the area where the last node was. Ever time you mined a node you would get 3- 5 resource. I left and went to the movies, when I had came back ( 5 hours or so later) I had around 250 ore in my bags. Needles to say I don't play that game anymore.

2. light487

light487 Avatar

The only problem with this idea, which I saw happen in SWG (and other games too, such as ATITD), is that those who arrived first to the area or have access to more resources early on to be able to afford to build the "harvesters" essentially claimed ALL the worthwhile spots in the entire game-space (and most frustratingly, plots of resources they never had any intention of making use of but just claimed them "just in case"). First in, first served might work in a smaller community or in a carefully crafted world to make sure that the monopolization of resources doesn't affect new players and/or slower players (or even players who choose to respec at a later time) but in my experience it has never worked remarkably well in any of the MMO's I've played and has always led to new-player (or those others I mentioned) frustration and potentially losing players as a result.

While there needs to be some advantage of finding a spot before anyone else and some advantage for being in a consortium with lots of resources early on etc etc, it shouldn't be such that it destroys the "future" prospects of the game's community.

Tarsilion and TenoMeric like this.
  3. rudakus

rudakus Avatar

I really liked the SWG system as well. I never ran into that problem where I was unable to get the good spawns of Metal(For example) I may not be able to get it on the 99% if I didn't get there the day that the resources happened to shift, but I certainly could get on to a 90ish % area. The shifting of materials and the quality of those materials I think was one of the parts that made gathering and crafting so satisfying in SWG.

Remember that in SWG they limited the number of 'lots' that each player had access to. This limited the number of harvesters/houses/factories/etc. that a player could have. This required crafters to work with other people to get all the mats(or have multiple accounts) For example one could be part of a guild that pools all their lots, or players who didn't care about crafting/harvesting could rent their lots out for extra monthly income. I thought it was a pretty brilliant system

**Edit** Also forgot to add that you could also still harvest by hand.

TenoMeric likes this.
  4. TenoMeric

TenoMeric Avatar

I agree with Sir Kiron Maedun and jondavis NODES TAKE AWAY from the player being knowledgeable in said area! Which creates a whole new market! If you do not understand this then you must have not played hidden resource games like UO/SWG/RuneScape. If Sota is looking for Immersion and Economic success then they would be wise to not go soft and use node system!!!

Tarsilion, Mozzarella and Grayhawk like this.
  5. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Although on the surface I don't mind the idea of high quality nodes being located in PvP/PvE areas, there needs to be a way for a solo crafter to gather these materials without needing a fighter to protect them. We should not be forced to be fight in order to be a humble crafter, nor should we be forced to work with others.

Perhaps some method of hiding/stealthing or something. Not sure, but its not fair to force people to work with others to gather decent materials if they want to play mostly solo.

My two cents.

6. Lethe Walpurga

Lethe Walpurga Avatar

Cropper,

Not sure i'm on the same page. I believe a critical underlying tenant of great games is balanced risk vs reward.

I think if there was no risk to being able to gather high value resources, then they wouldn't be high value resources for long. The sliding scale of risk should match the sliding scale of resource value.

I would compare it too saying that a solo fighter should be able to kill the hardest mob in the game. Some high end activities should take several chars.

Maybe that means a pet or a hired NPC guard is required. Maybe not several RL people.

That being said, with one char and no skill cap, I don't see SOTA crafters having the same combat limitations as they do in other games, like UO.

7. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I don't mind some level of risk, but it shouldn't be that its impossible without others helping you. A good RPG allows multiple methods to achieve ends, and they shouldn't all be based on fighting. Speech, stealth etc should be perfectly viable methods or else you run the risk of everyone making the same types of characters.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

8. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

At the same time, Cropper, this game will have a mode that will behave very much like an MMO. You have your offline and solo online mode if you don't want to ever have to play with someone else. However, for those who OPT IN for the full multiplayer mode, then there absolutely should be some places that one dare not go alone unless they are willing to risk having their butt handed to them on a platter.

the best crafted stuff should be made from the best raw materials, and it stands to reason that the best stuff would be best suited for raiders/PvP ers. So either the best raw materials are found in PvP areas or areas where mobs are at raid-scale difficulty. Now the second best stuff, suitable for high-end characters who can defeat anything but raid-scale mobs on their own should be made from stuff that can be gathered by a solo player. Risk would still be there, but if combat skills are maxed and gear is good enough, survival should be possible.

The full multiplayer option should feel fully multiplayer.

For people like you, the typical response would be, go play a single player game. However, for this title, the more appropriate response would be, the single player option for this game may be more suitable for you.

Those who want an in depth MULTIPLAYER mmo have been forced for almost a decade to take a back seat to the whims of those who want an easy button. It needs to stop. And with the approach they are taking with this game, it finally can.

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well that as been made a possibility in this game now that the prosperity Crafting tools have been implemented because they never need repair.

10. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I am really curious how the node system works. I personally prefer a sandbox system like in UO, this has definatly more to do with immersion,instead of looking to specific and randomly spawmed ressorces in the world. But as i said....i am curious how it works...
    Did you ever played EQ 2/AoC? It is not funny to ride around the world in hope to find ressources. I like going into the wood and chip trees :)

11. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I respect your opinion but I disagree.

While there should certainly be danger, it should not be that it is impossible to do it without being a mage or fighter. A gatherer should have other options such as speech or stealth. It shouldn't be 100 percent safe, there should be a risk, but it shouldn't force you to play a fighting template.

The problem is that, unlike what you say, all RPG MMOs do NOT allow for various playstyles. They force you to be specific templates to get stuff that is "high end". Look at ultima online. 90 percent or more of players play the same templates because those are the only viable ones to get the really good stuff. It makes for a lack of playstyles.

Once again, I believe there should be danger in high end areas, but that shouldn't mean you are forced to play a fighter/crafter if you just want to be a crafter. Give other options such as speech, stealth, etc to get the results. That will make it a far more diverse and interesting game.

An mmo shouldn't mean you have to play with guilds to protect you, although that should be one option. It should also be for people who want to connect with others, play with others etc, but not necessarily in every endeavor all the time. For example they may want a market for their goods, but not want to be forced to be a pvp'er or join a guild just to do their chosen career.

12. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

With respect... in an MMO, (and in the full multiplayer mode for this game) there should always be some parts of the game that incentivize grouping. Incentivize... not force...

YOU may not like it, but there are others that do... Allow me to quote my MMO mantra:

It's not just about me... It's not just about me... It's not just about me...

Perhaps it would be helpful for you to chant it as well.

What will be problematic is if there is no high-end content for solo players. Or if there one playstyle is always being back-bunrered in favor of another.

There should be some places that one should not be able to go by themselves without extreme risk. If you walk down a back alley in a bad part of town, by yourself, and get rolled by some gang bangers... you have a real world example of a place that nobody in their right mind should go by themselves. Same principle applies here.

Now what I would like to see is a shift away from "bosses" being these huge massive monsters that take ten people ganged up to defeat. The difficulty should come in the form of mob numbers. Ten people standing shoulder to shoulder facing an ARMY charging. And I would also like to see a shift away from everyone facing the same general all the time. Instead of General so-and-so, let it be Nord General. You face a nord general and aren't on your game, you'll probably die. But you'll go through his troops first... or they will go through you...

We can agree to disagree...

13. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Yes we will ave to disagree. The game should have elements of danger, of that we are in agreement. Where we disagree it seems is that I feel there should be more than one way to deal with the danger, whereas you feel it should be fighting only.

14. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I feel it would be a grave mistake to give better loot in PvP areas. This already was a failed concept in UO and it is a mistake one should not repeat.
    This incentive to force people uninterested in PvP to subject themselves to it never works and it always creates problems.

Unfortunately the opinion of many people speaking out against this were lost when a large thread in the PvP forum, where this was extensively discussed, was needlessly deleted in an act that I would call vandalism.

15. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Totally agree with you. This constant emphasis of diminishing other play styles other than PvP, and the arrogance of pvpers assuming they should get all the best stuff or the best resources should be in their areas is simply boggling.

Cater to all playstyles, don't force us all to PvP.

16. Ph0eniX

Ph0eniX Avatar

Well... i just hate when i play mmorpgs and cant chop trees in the woods because i have to find an "especific node". :/

Tarsilion likes this.
  17. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I suppose they could make every step a node:'(

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

How will nodes work in SotA this is not a levelling system were you enter higher MOB areas to collect it, so will you see nodes with higher metals but cannot use.
    Are their different types of ore/wood etc that you need a required skill level before being able to use.
    Going for the easy option to implement is not the way to go, on what will be a major part of the game.

19. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Me too. I have nothing more to add here

20. giblon

giblon Avatar

What about some kind of "exhaust" mechanic rather than limited nodes to prevent market flooding? E.g you could chop down any tree for wood but based on your crafting skill you can only chop so many before you have to rest. Just thinking out loud.

crossbowsoda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.