Ressources like in UO or random spawm? -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Sinclair, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I like that, giblon.. That idea sounds like a great first step.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

2. Curt

Curt Avatar

A suggestion for Mining.

Somewhere out in the world you place your claim and then you visit nearest village to register it.

This generates a personal mine using the Village Mine 5-Story Basemen that can be found in the addon-store. Its filled with a lot of rock you crushes (like crushing barrels)
    each rock crushes generate some items mostly rubble that you can place on a mine cart, some item is ore (better ore from the rock deeper down), some items is 'challenges'
    that perhaps spawns some npc that tries to rob the mine.
    One bad thing that can happen (less with better skill) is that the mine simply collapses or gets flooded (and then its time to get a new mine)

3. Datus

Datus Avatar

Oh nodes! Nodes are hokey. I want to spend all day mining a mountain, not running around finding nodes.

I thought LB showed us being able to cut down any tree?

4. Risick

Risick Avatar

I hope its like Ultima, because honestly I want to rp a miner. If I have the whole day off to play shroud of the avatar, im just going to want to mine, its soothing, and i just watch some tv while i do it.

5. Ph0eniX

Ph0eniX Avatar

6. Risick

Risick Avatar

Thats so hot... Im beyond excited haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ph0eniX likes this.
  7. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

One of the challenges for resource gathering in games is that in real life resources are gathered very differently. Mining ore, chopping down a tree, skinning an animal, harvesting food, etc... are not really all that similar. However, the game has to (or I should say, developers choose to) simplify it and make the mechanics of each approximately the same. I think nodes were often a way to streamline this as well. I don't have enough experience with games to really pass much judgement with what systems work best.

8. Dehmaun

Dehmaun Avatar

i liked the resource gathering in UO. worked very well. especially when they introduced necromancy and you could summon a little blue kleptomaniac pack minion. wander through the wilderness while he picked up everything in sight.

resource nodes are awful and hope that SoTA keeps away from them. the GW2 implementation of them is not bad. where each player can gather from them once until the next respawn. prevents issues which were in WoW where someone frequently got a resource node before you did.

the best mining that i have come across so far however is in entropia universe. the resource grid for ores is about 100m x 100m. you have three peices of equipment - a finder/scanner, probes and an excavator.

the finder drops the probes which bury into the ground and take a survey. if there is a resource found a marker appears and you use the excavator to dig up the ore. it is sci-fi, but can easily be translated to SoTA using a dowsing rod or similar. the better your skill, the better the finder/scanner you can use which will find ores at a deeper level in the earth.

Lord Baldrith and crossbowsoda like this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Oh my that brings back memories...I enjoyed mining in Enthropia too..but wow that game was expensive to play :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

11. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

I used to have a house by a mining cave years ago, it was pretty awesome. I hope everything is at the least similar to the original tbh.

12. Jakob

Jakob Avatar

I wonder if there is gonna be a chance for higher returns in a higher risk area, like UO does now if you decide to farm materials in fel ( double resources) over tram areas.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As in PvP instances ? Yes, that is being considered by the devs, as per a comment in the Multiplayer dev chat a couple weeks back.

Transcript here : https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...cap-multiplayer-in-shroud-of-the-avatar.7023/

14. Charun

Charun Avatar

Keep the gathering systems like they was in UO, they were the best of all mmorpgs i ever played. I think its strange if you mention a lumberjack standing in a forest full of trees but couldnt chop one of them, because he has to wait for special "node trees". Normal wood or iron are not rare resources, so why some people want to make it so? I think its better to control it via rare resources like blackrock in the past. Its better to get one ore of a rare resource for two hours of mining than running around the map looking for a rare spawn of it. That guys are called "miner" and not "treasure hunter"... that node-system destroys the whole feeling of gathering in every mmorpg out there, please dont make the same mistake.

Gracekain likes this.
  15. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

NRaas likes this.
  16. Charun

Charun Avatar

If they will use a node system, its a reason for me to quit SotA. I payed attention to this game, because i want to play an Artisan... gathering, crafting and selling my stuff to players with my vendor or on a market doing some rp. I got enough of all this "every player on the world is a hero fighting for epic loot" out there in every mmorpg. I just want to take my pickaxe and spend hours of time in a mine, beeing happy for every rare ore i find. I loved it in the past and i would love it now. My girlfriend hates mmorpg games, but she finds SotA interessting, because of farming, taming and cooking and other peaceful things you can do.

And it would be great if the fighter classes got skillcaps for gathering and crafting, that will push the economy because everyone needs an player artisan to get or repair rare items. I hate that "everything in one" characters. "Oh Iam a warrior and grandmaster blacksmith, i do everything by myself and dont need someone else". Guys loving that should play singleplayer games and post images of how great they are in facebook, thats not what a mmorpg should be like.

17. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

Totaly! disagree with you. This fraze "This already was a failed concept in UO and it is a mistake one should not repeat." , to me personaly, sound like an insult. I love, and still play on ealy renaissance versions of UO. PVP there is the greatest. Feeling of total unsafety, faster heart bit, sharper perception. I understand, that it requires alot more energy from the player, and not everybody is phisically and mentally capable of doing this.

As a roleplaying PK i want to kill inocent miners at sight and do all kinda of sneaky marauder actions...If there wont be such an option, alot of players will pass on that game. Therefore, its a highly chalenging task for devs to figure out the way to please both camps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.