Rest in Peace Bag Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lained, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Typical ! Had only just twigged that there was a bag mode and was about to give it a try.

Maybe if the option was more obvious more people might have used it ?

twofoldsilence likes this.
  2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

That was going to be my response too. Only 3% of people used it, while a lot didn't waiting for it to be fixed. Not enough people, bag mode gets scrapped. What percentage of KS people are playing, or waiting for the game to get "fixed"? Not enough people, so.... game gets scrapped too?

It does seem like a poor excuse.

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

They better delete List mode and develop the game in the other, the opposite direction as they actually do.

Sir_Hemlock and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I started another post that was locked with a similar view, so I am adding my thoughts from it to this post:

"I was saddened to hear that Bag Mode is being removed from SotA, but I understand why the decision was made to remove it, even though I despise List Mode. The main thing I would ask that the developers keep is the Bag Mode crafting interface, because it is so much more immersive and better IMO then the List Mode crafting interface. Also, if possible I would love it if the corpse, chest, cabinet, etc. containers could remain, as they are also very immersive IMO. What does everyone else think of these ideas, but more importantly what does the developers think of them?"

"I also hope that the time taken away from supporting Bag Mode will be used to enhance improve on List Mode, as IMO it's very clinical and not immersive at all, plus the crafting interface for it is like day and night compared to the Bag Mode crafting interface."

Astirian and Numa like this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I do hope that the resources used in maintaining bag-mode are spent on improving the list mode interface, more tabs perhaps. And bags within bags! Please!

Personally I find the overlap between consumables and crafting annoying. And it would be nice to sort decorations without also getting weapons and armor.

If UW taught me anything, every bag is to be treasured! And with U7 and U8 I enjoyed the mini-game of sorting things by bag. Also you need a house store all your cool loot - do not to murder anyone to get it! (Or lose it if it happens to be a moving house like a ship! Arg!)

I liked bag mode in these games, I became efficient and with diligence it worked. Part of the game WAS managing the inventory! But in SotA (and games like Skyrim or Fallout - list inventory, still immersed!) I find the sheer volume of items especially in categories like crafting and my natural inclination towards being a hoarder, I just had to use list. So losing bag mode, while it tugs at the nostalgia heart-strings, it does not personally affect me at a gaming level - even if I sorta thought I might do my solo-adventuring in bag mode one day.

If I had to lose one or the other, it would be have been bag mode. If this was consuming dev time and dev budget (like maintaining however many different methods of combat we have must be) then I hope that time and budget is put to good use. If you're removing one type of inventory management system, hopefully the other one benefits somewhat. "Removing Bag mode but list mode is now 2x better!" would be a better headline :)

6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is one reason why we had to remove it. We can't develop both at the same time, and with this decision we can now focus on improving the more common and efficient list mode.

7. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

hopefully it comes back in the future. qq bag mode

Astirian and twofoldsilence like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Rest in
    Peace bag
    Mode?

Sure, why not!
    [​IMG]

Luca Xante, Barugon and Numa like this.
  9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I too was waiting for bag mode to be fixed. A grid layout would have dealt with scalability issues.

Astirian likes this.
  10. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

To help explain what I mean by preferring the Bag Mode Crafting and Looting interfaces versus the List Mode versions I decided to upload a few images to show the differences between them. IMO the Bag Mode interfaces are definably more immersive even more so in the case of the Bag Mode Crafting interface. Just look at how great the actual Recipe Book looks that comes up when crafting in Bag Mode. Plus, I found List Mode's Crafting interface to crowded and hard to traverse, versus the streamlined Bag Mode interface. Also, I love that you can actually see and virtually feel your inventory items while looting in Bag Mode instead of just reading their names and quantity in List Mode. Also, just like with List Mode the Loot All hotkey E works in Bag Mode, so you never had to drag and drop like items constantly to your inventory once you added one to it with the exception of non stackable items which was a pain in Bag Mode, but I'm sure the developers could have came up with a way around that hassle eventually too.

Bag Mode Crafting Interface:
    [​IMG]

List Mode Crafting Interface:
    [​IMG]

Bag Mode Looting Interface (and by the way the Loot All hot key E works in Bag Mode to):
    [​IMG]

List Mode Looting Interface:
    [​IMG]

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think it would be illogical and confusing keeping "bag mode" for looting, crafting etc.
    If bag mode is removed, then remove all of it for a coherent experience.

Astirian, Link_of_Hyrule and K1000 like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It may be wishful thinking but I would like Portalarium to at least keep the option open for the future.. Not asking for a firm commitment.. but should the time ever come they can at least consider doing bag mode properly some time down the road.

13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I, also, was waiting for Launch to start playing offline and using bag mode. Dropping it now, 7 weeks before release, is a real bummer man.

Astirian, Bowen Bloodgood and Lained like this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I was also hoping that what you guys call bugs to be corrected... the whole kickstarter was based upon nostalgia, I don't think its bugs its a design problem, even in list mode stacked items should look stacked theres no friggin difference you'll have to draw sprites to allow us to drop items on the floor anyways...

should have stayed in bed today, grumpy

Astirian and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  15. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I'm pretty damn sad about bag mode. I wasn't using it for the same reason I haven't done the quests yet, waiting for polish!

Killing it dead was rough, maybe they'll consider revisiting post Ep. 1 given this thread? I certainly hope so.

On the other hand I'm glad it won't be in RC the way it currently looks. Giant cotton wads and keys bigger than whole salmon etc...
    But I'd love to see it come back later. I love the little corpse coffin too. (the skull used to have glowing eyes in previous games, it was well cool!)

I have to say, I do prefer the list mode crafting though. They just need to sort out those yellow borders. ;)

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Aw man. :( That's not cool, guys.

Bag mode is one of those actual "spiritual successor" things.

Please bring it back.

Waxillium and Astirian like this.
  17. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I support the decision to bag it for now (pun intended). Time is money and we're in a real critical time right now. I too LOVED the bag mode in U7. Being OCD, I spent half of my game play organizing my pack. For ease and speed, I switched to list mode in UO when it became available. It made things much easier and faster. But I too miss the way it felt more immersive to be sorting bags, moving stuff around. I like our current system as far as lists are concerned. Pretty easy to filter out what I'm looking for.

As Andernut said, hopefully they will eventually entertain bringing it back at some point.

Elwyn and Dartan Obscuro like this.
  18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I remember having to save every key I found and trying all of them on every locked door. Thank goodness for the key ring.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Astirian like this.
  19. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I felt the same way when Woolworths said they were scrapping plastic grocery bags :(

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I was already on the fence about supporting a next episode... now this. I understand the rationale, but this whole thing already felt like I was playing a text adventure written in an excel spreadsheet, and this is just adding to that. I'll give this a chance when it "launches" to draw me in and make me feel like a game rather than a book simulator, but this just made it one step harder for that to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.