Rest in Peace Bag Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lained, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodstove

Woodstove Avatar

UO was my favorite MMORPG ever. I just got into this game and was pumped when I saw I could switch to bag mode but then disappointed that it was so unusable in its current state. But I was hopeful that this would be refined and polished in the near future. I'm sad that they're ditching it. I want this game to be a new UO, not another cookie cutter MMO like WoW. I haven't been satisfied with an MMORPG since Ultima. UO inventory was damn near perfect. Everything was sized well and you could have pouches and bags (which could be dyed!) within your backpack to organize things. I can't see how it would have been difficult to have just put a little time in to mirror what we had in UO... Add a little mechanism to allow assigning certain types of looted items to go into specific bags, like you could use UO Assist or Razor for, so you could have a reagent pouch and such. This is definitely a bummer.

twofoldsilence and Astirian like this.
  2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I was always hoping I could toggle bag mode for monster loot so I could enjoy the look of it (as long as it had a take all button).

AND

Still have inventory in list mode at the same time.

Astirian likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Plastic bags are banned in Austin too. So that's it, then, no more bags!

But I started bringing my own bags before that, because I got tired of those flimsy cheap plastic bags on my own. The worst part is how they rip when you look at them wrong, so it's pointless to even try re-using them.

We need a command line mode too! "DIR *.ore"

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats so strange ! our disposable grocery bags here are super strong... in fact I even used them once to move rocks around, I could fill it until it stretches and it would never break, in fact I trusted them with my feet :p I asked the manager how much they cost, he said If I take a case of 1000, it would be less than half a cent per bag. I was curious as to how much money they made with them bags charging 10 cents for them... thats 1000% profit, and they do "sell" alot each and every day. They say its for environemental purposes, but its just bullcrap, they make money off of them because nobody charges them a deposit or fee for distributing them.

So previously they gave them for free as a thank you, now they make you feel guilty for using them and make mad profit on them... wow... I mean wow.

It's hard to imagine cheaper bags... but yeah I prefer costco reusable bags because the carry much more volume :) or an expedition backpack :)

Custom directories is a good idea, I don't like the fixed categories either.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

It would be nice to keep the corpse gump with a take all button, I feel it'd a bit too sterile without it, like copying files in Windows or something. (bonus points for creepy glowing eye sockets!)

twofoldsilence and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. Koss

Koss Avatar

I tried bag mode earlier today.. Yes.. it reminded me of UO..

Back then it was awesome.

But IMHO I will take the list mode now.

:)

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I live in California.

But guess what... I used to put all my plastic bags in a drawer and take them out whenever I needed a trash bag. So now, I just need an alternate source for trash bags.

Of course, I can still ask for free plastic bags... at places like Home Depot, Petco, etc., that will give them out no charge, just not at grocery stores. (And the thin ones for produce and bulk dry goods which break easily are freely available at grocery stores, still).

I'm not sure who all of this helps, except grocery stores, who are able to make more profit on the margins...

Anyway. ;) Min/maxing, min/maxing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Barugon and Mykll like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I'd probably like a Diablo-style multibox grid system, with the main inventory space scrollable, but bags not scrollable. They could also make it so inventory items can overlap in the grid visually, so it has the functionality of a freeform bag. Would be great for displaying merchant/vendor inventory.

twofoldsilence and Astirian like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same.

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There are basically two kinds of plastic bags. The better kind are relatively soft and thick. The crappy kind are thin and crinkly almost like paper, and they rip easily at any flaw. The longer you keep them around, the easier they break. They're really only reusable once, to put trash in.

11. Frank Bach

Frank Bach Avatar

I was also hoping that the immersive bag mode would be improved. I mean look at the new version of Darkfall online, Darkfall:New Dawn. (New Dawn!! There are more versions of this game, I think this is the best)

This is a good example how it should work. You can automatically sort the items, so the items automatically stack and organise on an invisible grid. This works very well. Stacked items show the numbers of items. If you loot an apple (just an example), it will be placed where you have put your other apples, even if they are in a different bag inside the backback. You can easily grab the items, it is not that much flimsy. You can grab more than one item, it just works with the mouse like on the windows desktop.

With additional container options, where you can automate, which item type goes in which container, the bag mode would not only be immersive and natural looking, it would also not be a pain in the ass.

I don't like the decision of getting rid of it because only 3% use it. That has reasons!
    1. It is in pre alpha quality and didn't get any love during the releases. 2. People don't know there is an option and it is automatically disabled.

Come on Porta! Even the noobs at Darkfall Online(!) have a working Ultima Style inventory

zerothis and twofoldsilence like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.