Resurrection

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Modu, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modu

Modu Avatar

It will be a long time before I get Resurrection and for the most part that's ok. Often considered a pinnacle in a healers ability, I can see why you want it to take awhile for people to learn it.

I just don't really enjoy the system of having to spam cast spells I wouldn't normally use just to get it anytime this century.

Under normal use my cleanse is moving VERY slow. Then I have to get through group cleanse, not looking forward to that.

Also, why do I have to use group versions of healing and cleanse to get Resurrection? Is it really a game design choice to force people to use AoE spells when they aren't needed to get to a staple Life/Healing ability?

There has to be a better solution here. The skill tree should feel rewarding, but I'm looking at those group spell tiers and dreading that I'll be casting those instead of single target just to raise them so I can get to the next tier.

Baalice and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. Modu

Modu Avatar

Also it seems strange that it's easier to get group heal over time via the Water tree than it is to get single target heal over time with the Life tree.

3. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I've been feeling similarly. I'm going pure magic and trying a bit of all schools to feel them out. I understand the need for 'trees' to make it a system of progression with lower level skills needed as prerequisites for the higher ones but since we're really not going by levels here (even if character level is a stat in the background), I get there has to be a different way to stagger 'when' you can learn the higher ones. I'm just not feeling the way it is right now for the same reason.

In other games, if you have a spec you like, you take the lower level skills you need just to get to the higher ones you will put your 'points' into. Here, you need to achieve minimums in the lower skills which forces you to use those skills you may never have used in the first place. Experience has to be earned and the skill used, again and again. Most times, it's difficult to find a practical use for the skills in question so you really just have to spam them to train them.

So, yea, I get where you're coming from. Maybe this will change as development continues or maybe this is the core system that will be in place and further development will be balancing it. Hard to say. As of yet, I haven't come up with any reasonable idea how I would change it though. I'm really used to relying on levels as gates to the higher tiers of skills/spells.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Modu likes this.
  4. Modu

Modu Avatar

Yeah, I don't think they really want us to stand in the middle of town spamming Purify so that we can get to the spells we really want, but, that's the unintended effect.

Also, rather than putting a group heal over time in water, how about making that a combo with life+water spells? I mean yeah, the "name" of the spell fits in the water tree but it's so randomly placed (again, easier to get group heal over time than it is to get single target heal over time).

Baalice likes this.
  5. Drakkhas

Drakkhas Avatar

I was thinking that attunement may be a better way of opening the next tier of abilities in a skill tree, rather than the current system that's used. That way you can choose what and what not to use in any tree. The higher the level a skill, the more attunement you get per level, rather than a flat rate that forces you to level up skills you don't use to increase attunement efficiently.

Beli and Baalice like this.
  6. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

Its also interesting that the Resurrect Creature Skill in the taming tree can now Resurrect Players as well and is easier to get too.....

This was as of the changes to taming as of R33 - as a healer its well worth training up Heal creature and Resurrect Creature as they can be both used on players. Heal Creature is a nice Healing spell like healing touch but with a slightly shorter cooldown.

7. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Id like to know why my spirit looks so evilistic ??? anyone?

8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I have Resurrection (about 500 points in Life). Cleanse was definitely slow to level. This, I think, is because it doesn't always apply XP to the skill when you use it. I believe the cleansing has to be successful and is based on it's effective rating or something like that. I noticed it wasn't going up every time I used it. This was similar to when I leveled Gust. When Gust wasn't effective (it didn't knock back my target) it wouldn't gain any XP.

Mass Cleanse was easy to level though. It went up in XP every time I used it. If you look at the tooltip, it doesn't have an effective rating. It's always effective.

The idea of having to level the group healing and cleansing spells is that the tree is very centered around healing others. They want you to level it by providing support to other players. Even resurrection is by nature a group oriented spell. You can't resurrect yourself with it.

That said, I'm happy with how my investment in the tree turned out. I can quickly flip from my main deck (Air/Fire/Death) to my Healer deck and boost anyone up to full health in no time. It's helped a few times when party members got close to death in difficult fights. Plus the attunement you'll gain from leveling all those skills will also greatly benefit your personal healing. Right now my Healing Touch is only level 56. It reads up to 39 points of healing on the tooltip.... that's without diamonds socketed in my gear either. On critical heals, I've seen up to about 80 on myself. And up to nearly 100 on other players due to the heal other innate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.