Revisit Storms Reach

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nick, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Storms Reach looks so lonely, would be a good time to make some changes to it.

I recall someone mentioned about making Storms Reach a Pirate's Bay or something.
    In addition, why not do this.

In the early Ultimas, the guards were almost unkillable. Why not make the guards pirates and scums like such. If your virtue is low, you can freely walk about. Else, the guards will tell you to leave storms reach.
    If you don't after leave a few warning they'll start attacking and you have no way of killing them. Every time you enter, it will trigger them to attack you. (something similar was done in crooked shank)

In U5, you needed the black badge, perhaps we can have a Jolly British badge for white shrouders to safely explore storm's reach.

Put another dungeon in there, a higher tier dungeon in the heart of town, a hidden hatch at the local tavern.
    Have more lores regarding storm's reach. It shouldn't be too difficult for Richard to spin a good story.

Oh ya, remove the resurrection ankhs. :D

Feeyo likes this.
  2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I hope mechanics like the virtue based access permission will be one day in SotA and not just for town guards but I would guess this will take some time.

About the pirate look…well I reckon that with the (I think still planed) possibility to sail there will be added a lot pirate themed areas and maybe they could adjust already today some more scenes in that direction but I honestly would hope that NPC town design is not fixed just like it isn’t in PoTs. Maybe once in a while the town (e.g. each year) is getting a rework e.g.
    by adding some new lots or removing long time not used lots and replace them with some deco…
    or small adjustments based on the population. Low population and the deco of NPC traders and the town itself is getting less lush and more worn, higher population and it is reverse...
    or if a many avatars are designing their lots similar also the town decoration in that area is changing to that style or…
    or there were some game that are changing the look of towns. For example if a new shard is falling down during the next year researchers and explorers are active in close by towns or if a close by town is destroyed a lot of refugees/beggars roam the near towns with provisionally huts everywhere)...
    or...

About the dungeon in the town…well I guess every town would like to have one but the devs are already working to make that possible as we the avatars will be able to create them if the devs can provide us with the fitting tools. If this mechanic is working I guess the devs could concentrate on creating “just” story/quest related dungeons while the avatars create exploration dungeons all over the world.

And about the lore…well I guess the answer of the devs could be “create your own lore”. :p;)
    Yes, currently it is difficult as you can just place some books or notes on your lot but in combination with other avatars i think you already can create locale lore but just as it is with dev designed lore not everyone will notice it. I would imagine creating your own lore will be a lot easier when our avatar-NPC get conversation adjustments and they can start talking with avatars about your version of the story.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I like the idea of a visual overhaul, but don't be chasing people out with guards. New players come through there regularly from (or to) the Understorm Gold Mine.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Storms Reach is no Buccaneers Den...

Whitestag and Jaesun like this.
  5. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Storms Reach is fine as it is there are as i see a lot more unique accts living there than most of the larger POTs.
    They live there for the shipping location that is neutral and consensual PVP.
    The low level dungeon in Storms Reach would be a issue also.

Also I would not be surprised if the devs have that in mind for the EP2 skull island, which would be a nice place for it. It would have much more world map sail locations short distance like Kingsport to Brit to the new islands in EP2 to Harvest ect. Storms Reach would cover the lower 1/3 of the map in short distance sailing. A POT would be better to do the pirate thing with as the location can be fine tuned better for it or the skull island in EP2.

Instead of adding more work to the devs plate I would locate it on that EP2 skull island...:)

6. Nick

Nick Avatar

What shipping location? and its not a PVP town.

My wish is to make a town a little more unique with a background. Currently, its no different than any other town. With the introduction of the teleport to zone and the external boats, there's really no reason to enter storms reach other than for the mines. So make it a little more interesting. Players can then sneak pass the local folks to get to the mines. Perhaps do a quest for the local to prove your mettle. To make players visit, a more interesting dungeon will good loot will attract players to come.

Only will get chased out if you decide to do nothing to improve relations with the locals.

Well, I kinda agree to that, they probably don't even have the time to add a simple dialog in game. Hence a wishlist.

I'd suggest doing a contest of some sort and the top 3 gets to design the dungeon for 3 towns. The dev's can then add the spawns and loot.

I'd always advocate a good story telling. Create a contest and invite players to create a background for a town. Winner gets his lore adopted into the town.

We have a great community with passion and expertise that could help improve the game. Why not use them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.