Rich Roleplaying versus All Roles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

@kaeshiva

We're talkin' about the skill skill system, atm. :D

Travel system is easy and avoiding encounters is easy btw, though, I hardly consider that much of a stick at all. Crafting requirements are way too high for what you produce, I agree, though, and some of the issues w/ crafting are also thorny.

Jaesun and kaeshiva like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Easy my foot! Those bandits attack me from miles away! No matter how many times I massacre them, every time I'm moseying down the road and I spot them, I take a massive detour around but they are just relentless. >< You think they would have learned by now. Really tho, as long as you can just walk straight out having the forced-aggro is just a mechanic that wastes a players time sitting through two load screens without adding any value - that's more what I meant in my categorization of 'pointless punishment systems'. Insomuch as I consider the game arbitrarily wasting my time to be a form of punishment. Is it a big deal? Not at all.

In all seriousness though, hardcaps aside, I honestly don't think there's much to be done about the skill system without some sort of massive overhaul - like making more passive skills mutually exclusive, or adding some sort of arbitrary limitation above and beyond the 'deck' limitation, which is really the only limitation we have.

One thing I've mentioned elsewhere would be to add 'spellcasting implement' restrictions to some of the magic (just as weapon skills are restricted by type and armor skills are restricted by type). That would go a long way toward enforcing a choice between weapon user and magic user - although I'm afraid it wouldn't be a popular change. Either that or add new skills that have heavier requirements, such as requiring the user to be in a particular stance, for example.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@kaeshiva

Don't mean to belabor this particular issue, but it takes a second or two to just walk around them, not a massive detour :D There have been some issues with them going faster than you do and seemingly catching up to you from a distance but I've walked around the whole map to draw the roads and time them, and avoided every encounter pretty easily :D Its really a trivial issue all in all IMO. Anyway, my ideal game would be that most encounters are random encounters, because going around a tiny box in circles hitting the same target over and over as they respawn is pretty sucky and tedious. Not that the current game design doesn't make the random encounters feel underwhelming. Because it does. Though there's some stuff they could do to improve it.

I've made a lot of suggestions over the years that could supplement the current skill system. Like IMO I've always thought the game should require a staff or wand or such not to use reagents on low-tier spells, which would give some trade-offs to some of the issues I mentioned. And the benefits of safe fall should be penalized by encumbrance and heavy armor. And food could have a better use outside of DPS-intensive situations.

Anyway, this has been up to the devs, but they keep pushing for carrots only approach on some of these things, and my view has always been that it hasn't helped the game.

Gorthyn and kaeshiva like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, I'm a bandit magnet, what can I say? lol. I wouldn't mind the two seconds walking around them, if it worked consistently, but I've had these things chase me down and aggro me from ridiculously far away. Like, nearly off my screen can't see them and then I hear that little laugh and WHAM, loadscren. And then I sit through a tedious loadscreen, zone in, and then zone immediately out and sit through another tedious loadscreen. It seems the more urgently I'm trying to get someplace, the more persistent the bandits become. I can and do avoid them, sometimes, usually only via means of fleet flute, but even with that they can still catch up unless I give them a ridiculously wide berth. !

I don't know if I agree re: skill changes are always carrots, though. I can think of many examples in which the stick was used - can't use stat buffs at same time, can't charge up stuff that previously gave benefit for being charged up, can't use more than 1 shield at a time, can't use more than 2 avoidance buffs..reducing crit damage in polearm/ranged passives, blanket attunement nerf, reduction of stat benefit to certain magic schools that got bonuses (str/earth, air/dex) .....off the top of my head. Even specialization had a stick hidden in there in the form of attunement penalties, but only for mages. These were all examples in which skill limitations were imposed for balance purposes. I'm not saying I disagree with them, but these are clearly not carrots. And the fact that the balance behaviors (again, not arguing the legitimacy of such balance, just the methodology) is invariably to nerf something down rather than to buff something up. Occasionally we'll see some skill improved, but usually only after post nerf-community outcry lol. Perhaps that is just perception. There have certainly been 'carrot' changes too...though I find these are less frequent, and less fundamental (ie effect a smaller subset of players using a particular skill) rather than global mechanics.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@kaeshiva

Yea, there have been some nerfs, but IMO the constant need to buff or nerf something is due to the carrots only approach. In the end, carrots only means the only way for them to balance the skills is to adjust the numbers. They have to adjust some up, some down. Carrots only causes endless balance problems and number-juggling.

IMO, this can be avoided by not focusing on numbers so much, and actually start thinking about more fundamental additions/changes like the ones I suggested.

kaeshiva likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This!!!!
    All builds more or less.
    What decks you have ?
    How many crafting professions you have?
    I assume you have a deck versus Undead , one versus Elementars, one for pvp if you pvp, one for XYZ...
    Bad for having a +9 Sword with Ice pattern :p
    By time people have if they want to be competetive.
    Honestly i think you are wrong here.
    I play since middle 80ies and i often got things explained what i already know, sometimes having a deeper understanding of what they want to explain me, honestly .
    But true for latest changes maybe i have missed when i left at release.
    I try to get that Infos as you can see in my others threads like Buffs and Hotkeys for Decks for example.
    I assume @kaeshiva is not familiar with RP gamemechanically and when the most people played these games were Pen and Paper players who then played online Games to roleplay.
    Yep, thats it I think too.
    We are dinosaurs long extinct sort of players , at least in this game and forum  because the game is like it is :rolleyes:
    I think it's nit wanted, because those maybe buy less and arent that much into "progression and grind is the key of a MMORPG", but the RPvP sandbox style to play. I was recently invited to join the Vikings of Legends of Ultima LoA Community Server ;)
    It's never to late!! !

@Brugas and also @kaeshiva
    I really appreciate your input and i fully understand and respect it.
    I dont want to take it away from you.
    I can play other games, i'm just a little passionate about it and i try "everything" to convince players but even more developers .
    As i said before if it were a success thousands of players playing who am i to say they are wrong, but imo it's so that thousands of playerst left because it is not the RPvP sandbox like UO was or is or SWG or Legends of Aria actually in closed Beta. And i argue further , because there is some things iike SotA for and no other game allows me to do so ir has this dense atmosphere sometimes.
    And of cause i put some serious amount t of money into it, when i was hyped :p

That last Post Brugas made is completely true for me!
    Btw i like the open skills, but i just dont like you arent restricted to choose them all more or less and i'm allways disappointed that there is no cap or a cap i never can get to or o need to grind that much , even with UT , i never can become competetive . But i am the Type of Roleplayer who want to kill you if you piss my Character of :p
    At least have a balanced game and Situation i can try it. Maybe you win, because your build is better than mine or we even cannot kill each other because i'm water and you are fire and everything we do cancel each other out and then we roleplay further and find other solutions in our RP dispute. Fun gameplay, not fun if one can switch to xy deck and become a completely other char including gear and skills he can use. This is what also destroy playing a role in the environment.
    This is what i mean if i say RP is also about weaknesses and disabilities.
    But in SotA it's completely anti RP if one has the time to just branch out into all and everything.
    This is not Rich Roleplaying Game , but a very good progress oriented min maxing game.
    I wont argue again if 10.0000 players would like it and i'm just that RPvP dinosaurs who has to accept his sort has extinct already, but i believe that thousands of UO players who are somewhat like @Ravicus Domdred and @redfish and me are , who wanted that sandbox RPvX Gameplay of UO or SWG had back in the days.

Jorhoto, Brugas and Gorthyn like this.
  7. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

To be honest, I haven't even read the OP, I just wanted to comment on this. I see it in so many threads in this forum. A see it a lot from Stundorn, but other users use this to (hell, I've even done it once or twice)
    • I have an idea, a theory, or a complaint. I write up a long post trying to explain.
    • Another user has a different idea, a contrary theory, or likes the thing I am complaining about, states so.
    • I support my initial statement with "but there are examples of this in other popular games! This is clearly the reason this game is unpopular!"
    I think it's great that we want this game to be popular. I think a lot of users are scared by the news of the downsizing, and are worried about the longevity of this game. But for anyone to really think that their idea is the magic bullet that will bring in hundreds to thousands of new players, and provide the cash flow to keep this game running for years to come, is a bit presumptuous. Except for my ideas of course. My ideas are perfect, and are just what this game needs!

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hehe i dont know of course, i can just assume that a lot of players who relatively early in development left and what my experiences with players were who i tried to convince to play SotA , what were long time UO and SWG Players who like Roleplay and a RPvP Sandbox, where and when the RP comes from partaking in the Sandbox PvP and PvE and not only theoretical Tavern talk and Dancepartys, or if Tavern talk then about things that happened ingame, about guildwars or territory control pvp etc... when these players just neglect.
    When the Rebels defeated the imperials on a Planet or when a Guild of reds blocked the way to a City and the Blue Knights of Valor defeated them and protected the weak and fight to open the City gates and patroled to make it a safe place again etc...
    This is what i want and what i miss .
    And this is why I believe a lot of players have left early or never thought over to even try , because they know SotA is not a game for that.

Edit :with caps and all i can roleplay 5 hours at the gates in a pvp zone , guarding the weaker, fighting of the red pk's or i can become a Bandit and try to lurk on some sheep and Row them or go to break the Blue Guards (players) at a City Gate etc...
    This is RPvP Sandbox.
    This is why I want to play online RPG, neither progress, nor grind, what like it seems the core players of SotA like more.
    And i seem to was allways wrong about what style of gameplay @Lord British stands for.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The story behind the game is that you are a representation of yourself in this universe. RP then comes from your descisions, not from your restrictions... I have never spoken with a mechanic who was unable to do Knitting. If he wants to and has time for it he can. The real RP in Sota is being what you want to be, not being forced into something because that is the closest thing. Considering Violette Dyonisys is the avatar of myself, I wonder why is it that she needs to be locked into certain skills and classes, meanwhile I can do anything I want if I put the time to it?

Of course you can't be the best PvPer if you don't put enough time to it, do you think Floyd Mayweather became a boxer because that is the class he chose at the login screen when he was born? No! He did it because he practiced and he wanted to do it, and if he wants, and puts the time towards it, he can become a racecar driver, a computer scientist, and a construction worker. Why can't my avatar do the same? You want RP? Ask Violette what she is, and she will tell you that she is a spear fighter with a decent knowledge in water magic. Does she know more than that? Can she tank for her friends when she feels like it? Can she take out a bow when she is tired of getting beaten up? Yes! But her main fiels of interest is a water spear combatant. Now crafting... She hates it, she only does it to craft basic components to help her friends out, because she has no interest in it, and if she wants something special, she asks Elrond, or her futur husband Bjorn, because they can make nice things she has no interest in doing.

Why is this not good roleplay? Why do I need to be locked into a specific role and be forced to become someone else if I want to do something else? Stundorn, if you can't figure out a way to RP in the SotA universe, and it is something you absolutely need, then maybe find a different game, because I don't want SotA to become a reskin of othrr games. You keep on asking for realism for other aspects of the game, but yet if someone puts more time to CONSTANTLY practice something that you only do once a week or so, now you are unhappy... Let people do what they want, some dont want to be forced into the RP universe, they just want to be the best at everything, and you know what, thats their own RP!

Let it go, Stundorn, or leave. Dont try to change the base of the game, the game isnt lacking in player base because of the fundamentals, its lacking in players because of inconsistencies, poor new player experience (its getting there!) And lack of official end game reward. The game is struggling to keep very old players, and new players, not the people who have a good time without burning through everything. Everything in between is just where it needs to be.

Black777Lodge likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Violette Dyonisys yeah he practiced, he didnt grind :p

i want to be a PVPer without to loose iddentification with mys char and need to skill Fire for example or Death, but i need to and i better have 10 decks ready to PvP all with high skills to counter any other deck my opponent has.
    That has nothing to do with i can be what i want to, completely the opposite, if i want to pvp i cannot be a pure Air,Water, Life mage for exmple. Without using severyl Chaosspells i cannot be competetive anyway.
    Do You know RP-PvP Playstyle or do you RP only in Taverns and only talking?

I shall leave? is that what you want?
    great advice for a game with a few hundred players just after release, firing a good amount of the devs and lacking to fund EP2

Please just dont read my posts anymore and do not bother!

11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Stundorn ; don’t take these differences of opinion so seriously as we all walked into this game with different expectations of what it has and may become. Everyone has a different view of what RP and RP/PVP is and I believe everyone here who created a character is RPing whether they believe or not. What you seem to allude to RP wise may happen the day Guild battles like @Ravicus Domdred posted about. That is why I am still here and believe will happen sooner than later. As far as character skill limitation, I Rp a pirate therefore my character will use and learn any skill and weapon to his advantage. If others wish to be more strict in their approach then I respect their choice. Just make the best of it brother. R/Boris/El Pirata

Brugas, Violette Dyonisys and Barugon like this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Guild battles definitely will let us see all the differences between everyones RP/PVP, that will be great! Last Livrestream when everyone went to the Obsidian trials, you could clearly see differences in pvp builds. Archers, fire mages, earth mages, wind mages, full heavy hammer guy, 2h polearms, spear and shield guy, heck there was even a Tamer (Jaden). Not everyone was using the same thing, and you clearly saw battles going back and forth, kills going either way from time to time. Everyone had their own build and it was super interesting to see!

13. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Rich roleplaying..

Doesn't really sound like what you are actually arguing for. In SotA your "role" is that of a normal inhabitant of Earth pulled into an alternate world, where you are now an immortal, undying, ethereal being made manifest, called an Avatar. That is your "role" to play.. Now for me, a normal inhabitant of of earth under those conditions can master, and do just about anything he sets his mind to.. immortal, undying, ethereal beings, never struck me as being very "limited"

But then, you were really talking about "roll"-playing, not "role"-playing.. ;)

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Violette Dyonisys ; It is inevitable as these guild battles may lead to both Realm vs Realm (facitons) or by itself. We staged one on 03 December 2017 when @CatherineRose christened her pirate galleon. It was not guild vs guild but a bumch of players who thought it was a great idea and conveived by Catherine as part of the Christening event. A party afterwards for one of the players who celebrated his birthday. We build it up on the forum as part of a story with a Pirates vs Obsidians theme and had at least 25 combatants fighting. There was no lag, no drama and a good time for all. We did it in UO Chesapeake with 20 vs 20 battles till the last player standing. It forged many long standing friendships, in game politicsl and rp stories that build the battles up like a title fight. That is the only thing I personally believe is missing from this game at the moment to entice people to come check this out. Like in the movie "Field of Dreams" "Build it and they will come". R/Boris/El Pirata.

15. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

The idea that everybody ends up playing the same way is a big lie.

Violette Dyonisys and Barugon like this.
  16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Edit: OP, the above is a good point.

I'm sticking with the role I originally envisioned for myself, knowing full well before I started playing that this was a totally open-skill game. For me, that is the lower-left quadrant of the mage tree (death, air, chaos, moon). I have barely mastered death, even though I play that primarily. Air is second. Chaos and Moon are on the backburner until I can play more and gather more XP in my pool. I do not want to melee (although, I did level to 80 some of the shield skills for when I use a wand). I certainly GM'd the main innate skills (STR, DEX, INT). I've also GM'd some of the Light Armor skills. This is what I want my character to be. I will not deviate from that core "role" I've picked for myself, except for things that enhance it (like some of the AOE skills). This doesn't take away from my core role that I've assigned myself.

Could I go pure death for gameplay? Sure. But why would I do that when there are so many choices? For roleplay I'll be death (but my alter-ego is air) - so this works for MY roleplay. And what works for me, just as I know what works for you, will be different.

And that's what is great about this game for all of us - choice.

I don't feel the need to level up anything else. I don't have the time. But if I did, or if this was 10 years into the future, yes, I'd GM other stuff as well. The game allows for it. Tanks are still necessary. You still need healers. And DPS is always wanted. We all fill roles differently, and it's our (and your) choice that matters.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    kaeshiva likes this.
  17. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I have the impression, that you are the only one who knows that.....:rolleyes:

kaeshiva likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

The main problem here is you have about 100 different outlooks on RP!

What I'm understanding from @Stundorn is he wants to have classes kind of like in D&D <- true RP (feel free to correct me i have tough skin)
    Classes like mage, fighter, cleric, Priest, Ranger etc.... It makes no sense in an open world to have everyone able to do everything! Why go to open world, multiplayer? I don't need you for anything since i can do all that myself! I agree on that! Some peoples role play are not others! RP community from what Ive seen are pretty how should i say this (Self righteous! That's the word!) they think that their role play is the way, the only way and you should succumb to their way! Some people just think there way is the only way! Here's a perfect example, I tried this with some people I come into a scene (into someones scene i should say) I role play my character in the way i do D&D style, Class type "A" I roll play to a T, and i get crapped on for doing it that way since i don't know what RP adventure they are doing although i know they are self proclaimed Great Rprs! Sorry you are not! Your pretty lame when you come into contact with another RP'r Who's playing his/her roll ( which you have no clue what it is except his/her type of Class!) Its called a "random encounter" in D&D/ RP style! So Ive seen this quite a few times. The people i meet that are self proclaimed RPrs! Are actually selfish ones! I try to blend my RP with theirs and they get upset over it! Sorry this game is not just for you! So until you learn basic respect you can take your RP and shove it!

Hence the reason i rarely go into multiplayer! Its a waste of my time to play with those that i have met!

On the flip side i think i met 2 people that truly embraced the RP no matter what quest they were on according to theirs, and what quest i was on according to mine! OK done with that!
    A class system is needed for anyone to actually adventure together, and even though you may be a jack of many trades in this game when you go with a party you have a roll to play, Healer Tank, rogue or whatever to accomplish something!

I don't agree with Port on this "be anything system" and i think it out right sucks, because it leaves no need for anyone to go anywhere with anyone for anything! bottom line! From what Ive seen you go with people who can dish out DPS, and HPS (heals per second) some die and others don't so you need a healer and someone that can rez, unless of course you like losing exp (another thing i hate about this game!)

Through out these forums i see a lot of you crapping on Stundorn for his ideas but you expect people to agree with yours! Sorry everything is an opinion and all of us have a right to express what we want! On top of that there is a language barrier that some of you cant understand or break through, So when he says stuff understand that not all speak American, English etc... You guys have spent more time beating others down than trying to find a medium point! Which in turn makes others not even want to talk with you or even run with you in multiplayer, basically because of all the negativity you throw at each other daily (I'm no angel Ive had my moments in here as well) but if you want to build a community of players don't treat each other, how you yourself would not want to be treated by others! It sounds like a bunch of little kids that need to go to their rooms for a time out! I could disagree and fight with everyone of you if i wanted on all your ideas! Its really simple. So end statement is chill and have a basic respect for each other! Deal with the stupid stuff this game has adapt and try to enjoy yourselves however you do!
    ==================================================================================================================================
    Rough Translation here.......at least im trying! :)..........

Das Hauptproblem hier ist, dass Sie über 100 verschiedene Perspektiven auf RP haben!

Was ich von @Stundorn verstehe, ist, dass er Klassen wie in D & D haben möchte <- true RP (fühle mich frei, mich zu korrigieren, ich habe harte Haut)
    Klassen wie Magier, Kämpfer, Kleriker, Priester, Waldläufer usw. Es macht in einer offenen Welt keinen Sinn, dass alle in der Lage sind, alles zu tun! Warum zu Open World, Multiplayer gehen? Ich brauche dich für nichts, da ich das alles selbst machen kann! Ich stimme dem zu! Rollenspiele einiger Leute sind nicht andere! RP-Community von dem, was ich gesehen habe, sind ziemlich, wie soll ich das sagen (Selbstgerecht! Das ist das Wort!) Sie denken, dass ihr Rollenspiel der Weg ist, der einzige Weg und Sie sollten ihrem Weg erliegen! Manche Leute denken nur, dass der Weg der einzige Weg ist! Hier ist ein perfektes Beispiel, ich habe das mit einigen Leuten versucht Ich komme in eine Szene (in jemandes Szene, die ich sagen sollte) Ich spiele meinen Charakter in der Art, wie ich D & D Style, Class Typ "A" spiele Ich spiele ein T, und Ich werde dafür beschissen, weil ich nicht weiß, welches RP-Abenteuer sie machen, obwohl ich weiß, dass sie selbsternannte Große Rprs sind! Entschuldigung, bist du nicht! Du bist ziemlich lahm, wenn du mit einem anderen RP'r kommst, der seine Rolle spielt (du hast keine Ahnung, was es ist, außer seiner Art von Klasse!). Es wird "zufällige Begegnung" im D & D / RP Stil genannt! Ich habe das schon einige Male gesehen. Die Leute, die ich treffe, sind selbsternannte RPrs! Sind eigentlich egoistische! Ich versuche, meine RP mit ihren zu mischen und sie werden darüber verärgert! Sorry, dieses Spiel ist nicht nur für dich! Bis du also grundlegenden Respekt gelernt hast, kannst du dein RP nehmen und es schieben!

Aus diesem Grund gehe ich selten in den Multiplayer! Es ist eine Verschwendung meiner Zeit mit denen zu spielen, die ich getroffen habe!

Auf der anderen Seite denke ich, dass ich 2 Leute getroffen habe, die das RP wirklich angenommen haben, egal auf welcher Mission sie waren und welche Quest ich auf meiner hatte! OK damit gemacht!
    Ein Klassensystem wird benötigt, damit jeder gemeinsam Abenteuer erleben kann. Auch wenn Sie in diesem Spiel ein Tausendsassa sind, wenn Sie mit einer Party spielen, haben Sie eine Rolle zu spielen, Heiler Tank, Schurke oder was auch immer, um etwas zu erreichen!

Ich stimme Port nicht mit diesem "Be-Any-System" zu, und ich denke, es ist richtig nervtötend, denn es lässt niemanden für irgendjemanden irgendwohin irgendwohin gehen! Endeffekt! Von dem, was ich gesehen habe, gehst du mit Leuten, die DPS austeilen können, und HPS (heilt pro Sekunde) einige sterben und andere nicht, also brauchst du einen Heiler und jemanden, der rez kann, außer natürlich, du verlierst gerne exp (eine andere Sache, die ich hasse dieses Spiel!)

Durch diese Foren sehe ich viele von euch auf Stundorn für seine Ideen, aber Sie erwarten, dass die Leute mit Ihren übereinstimmen! Entschuldigung, alles ist eine Meinung und wir alle haben das Recht auszudrücken, was wir wollen! Darüber hinaus gibt es eine Sprachbarriere, die manche von euch nicht verstehen oder durchbrechen können. Wenn er Dinge sagt, die verstehen, dass nicht alle Amerikaner, Engländer usw. sprechen ... Ihr habt mehr Zeit damit verbracht, andere zu verprügeln als einen zu finden mittlerer Punkt! Was wiederum dazu führt, dass andere nicht einmal mit dir sprechen wollen oder sogar im Multiplayer mit dir rennen, im Grunde wegen all der Negativität, die du einander täglich entgegenwirfst (ich bin kein Engel, ich hatte meine Momente auch hier), aber wenn du es tust eine Community von Spielern aufbauen wollen, behandeln sich nicht gegenseitig, wie Sie selbst nicht von anderen behandelt werden möchten! Es klingt wie ein Haufen kleine Kinder, die für eine Auszeit in ihre Zimmer gehen müssen! Ich könnte widersprechen und mit jedem von euch kämpfen, wenn ich all deine Ideen haben wollte! Es ist wirklich einfach. Die Endaussage ist also chillig und hat einen grundlegenden Respekt voreinander! Beschäftige dich mit den dämlichen Sachen, die dieses Spiel sich angeeignet hat und versuche dich zu amüsieren, wie auch immer du es tust!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@blaquerogue

I'm fine with "classless"
    I want this system limited to be balanced and have interdependencies, i'm not for strict classes, i'm just for a limitation to make "role" play in a gamemechanically sense possible. It's actually possible, but a self limiting thing like you did with your group or Time Lord did with his group or players do for themself.
    But all this makes you weak in pvp and to me RP and PvP belong together!

I for example just still dont want to have to skill fire as a watermage, but i want to be highly competetive.
    I just dont want to fight against people who have so many benefits because they grind +10hrs a day, because there is no end.

Still for pick e.g. 7 Trees and Master them at 100. End of Story.
    If you want more, play an Alt.
    This for balancing , purpose of MP (interdependencies) and the RPG aspects.

blaquerogue and Gorthyn like this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

One of the problems i have with the system the way it is

I need to get about 20 different skills i dont really need in the long run to survive up to level 40 - 60 then from there i need to go back and turn down stuff i worked so hard to raise in order to define what type of character i am playing, when im finished with that at level 110 all i can do is one or two things based on what character type im playing and that thing does not stand up in PVP against others that have GM in 20 other things at level 60. Theres your unbalanced PVP system. In order to be good at PVP i have to have 60 different skills GM'd to be as good as them and i have just lost my identity as a character! You can argue that as much as you want, but if all you use is swords and light or heavy armor, if you meet that guy that has many skills hopefully you have friends with you to keep you alive!

i have built every class of character, from level 0 to see how it works by class only, there is no way you can solo let alone be any kind of challenge in PVP unless you have many different spells to go along with your class. Thats just what i have experienced from day one of this game. My main character is a blade, fire, water, earth, life, death, moon, chaos, Sun, Subterfuge, heavy and light armor wearing character, that is the one that would survive in most PVP encounters!

Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.