Rifthiker's Guide (522 edition) now available

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Spoon, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Lux's Rifthikers are proud to present the answer in 6 volumes of 7 chapters each.

The Rifthiker's Guide

Published by Lux Library, in Lux Sanctuary.

The Rifthiker's Guide is the beginner rifthiker's guide to New Britannia. So if you have recently traveled through the Lunar Rifts to these parts, or if you know someone who is new, or maybe even a veteran rifter who should know better, then this is the guide for you.

The term rifthiker is for us who hike through the Lunar Rifts to find new places and new civilizations.

Meta information

The guide is meant for new players which are unfamiliar with some of New Britannias quirks and peculiarities, with a slight addition of some humor to make it more pallatable.
    But unlike most such from players, I wanted to write this one completely from an in character point of view. This means that there are no meta talk about clicking here or there, or such things. Instead it is written as if the reader and author are both travelling and living in this world.

I usually hand these out as examples to new players when I'm doing my Hospitaller's rounds.

Content

[​IMG]

The six volumes are:

Volume I - Primer
    Volume II - Dangers
    Volume III - Travel
    Volume IV - Careers
    Volume V - Miscellaneous
    Volume VI - Companion​

The companion volume contains great to have information for new arrival to veteran rifter alike. Things like Lunar Rift phases, Mine location and what resources they have, master trainer locations, how the new brittanian calender work, where to pick up sing language, etc.

Editions

The Rifthiker's guide usually has bi-annual editions. (Two new britannian years is 4 earth weeks). Where the edition number is the New Britannian year it was published.
    The first edition was in the year 480.

Where to buy it

Right now it is primarily being sold from our vendor in Soltown, but can also be found in Lux Sanctuary and soon distributed to all the Rifthiker Outposts.

See below for details.

Postal Order

You can also send a postal order to 'Spoon' with 250g for the common edition (6 books @ 15g + 10g post and package each), or 1500g for the Hospitaller edition (printed on crafted Hospitaller books).

Every now and then when Spoon is sober he will go through his Post and set someone on sending them out.

If you want large quantities for distribution at new arrival events then initiate such request through post as well.

Commercial License

Please note that anyone is allowed to copy these books and resell them at any price you see fit or hand them out with no permission necessary from Spoon or Lux Library. Instead it is encouraged to spread them as much and as far as anyone please.
    But if you do resell them, please try to not charge too much for them, they are meant for new folks so they should be cheap. The Lux's Rifthikers outposts usually charge 15g to cover expenses.

However for you down on your luck folks that cannot afford the cheap price for the Guide on the vendor - don't fear - it is free to browse the wares in front of the vendor. So you can read all six volumes of the Rifthiker's Guide without paying a single coin, well at least as long as you are close enough to that vendor.

Reviews

"I don't really don't need the guides, but purchased the set for my library." - @Frederick Glasgow

"I usually hand these out when doing Hospitaller work in Soltown and they are greatly appreciated, especially around the outhouse." - @Luca Xante

"I found the read, not only most enjoyable, but, again, humorous and informative. Indeed, some of the content, volume 6 in particular, I find to be an invaluable resource to always keep on hand whilst travelling." - @Balec Fares deCani

"The Rifthiker's Guide is a must-read classic. It has a certain special spot in our stores. We usually refer to it as the filler section." - @Womby

"The inner working of Spoon's mind make the Unreliable Travel Guide seem sane." - @Vyrin

"Ditto" - @Kvow Triumvir

"Creative, brilliant and fun." - @Elgarion

"These bring warmth when resting in front of any fireplace." - @Kara Brae

"Fish." - @Winfield

If you want to add a review or press legal charges for the ones above please do so below or through a Post to 'Spoon'.

Gold Reward

Any feedback or suggestions to the author or publishers is very much appreciated and can either be done below or preferably by sending an in game Post to 'Spoon'.

There is a Gold Reward to any addition or correction that makes it into the Guide.

Locations

Soltown​

In Soltown it is sold through Th'Rift Shop, which includes the Cheap Shop that sells slightly damaged goods from the lost and found section of the moonworkers affiliation a bit too cheaply, so that even the most green new arrival should be able to afford something.

Link to the location:
    https://www.sotamap.com/?map_id=3&lot_id=91&openPopup=true&z=4

[​IMG]
    (Map drawn by Jacub White on SotA map)

Lux Sanctuary​

In Lux Sanctaury it is sold by the "Welcome to Lux Sanctuary" vendor which you will find right at the entrance after the canyon ends.

https://www.sotamap.com/?map_id=1&poi_id=466&openPopup=true&z=4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is the vendor on the left there.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Happy hunting

Spoon mayor of Lux Sanctuary.​

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Sounds like an intresting read!
    Will have to pick up the set when im online :)

Spoon likes this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Folk brukar tycka att de är småkul, de tre första böckerna är mest för nybörjare, trean och fyran kan ha smådetaljer i sig, och sexan är tråkig men har summerad riktig info för vem som helst.

4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Va hände med femman då, inte nämnvärd? :p Skall stolt ställa dom överst i min ensamma bokylla. Knappt läskunning min karaktär så den är rätt tom hyllan..

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hehe, femman är 'övrigt' så där stoppade jag in saker som inte passade in i de andra böckerna. Enligt mig är det den "minst bästaste" ;) av dem.

6. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

The label on the SotAmap.com link for Soltown says 'Village lot "Lux Rifhikers"' The 't' is missing.

Spoon likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*Warning bad pun coming up - brace yourself*
    Yepp, that is the music section of the guild...the riff hikers.
    *runs away before he gets tarred and feathered*

Yea it is missing the possessive 's as well.
    :(
    Lux's Rifthikers

But I have no edit rights or such so I don't know how to correct the label. If someone does then I'd give them free meals and mead in the Thermae bath house in Lux.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  8. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@Spoon you give me reason to go to Soltown again and buy that read (and sell some waponry ;) )

Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

The Rifthiker's Guide is a must-read classic. I strongly recommend purchasing the full set of volumes from @Spoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.