1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Robbing Vendors

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Bedawyn, Aug 19, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

If a player vendor has not been updated in X months (3? 6?) and there are no guards in sight, players with Subterfuge skills should have the ability to rob the vendor. Perhaps not grab everything, but at least a chance to grab something, so that the vendors aren't just sitting there taking up space and keeping goods on it out of circulation.

Crendel likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sitting vendors sell their goods exactly the same as a standing vendor - so no goods are kept out of circulation by them sitting.
    As for the stealing from them...... NO WAY.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, may be this is an interesting point for players flagged for "PVP"?
    Subterfuge skills could be allowed for Vendors of PVP-flagged players - of course just for other PvP-flagged players :)

Bedawyn likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Even then, where is the risk? You arent stealing a player, just an NPC selling stuff for them? This, for me, would be a huge turnoff, or would be a reason to get multiple accounts, PvP flagged on one, vendor on the other. This would simply become a hassle for PvPers for absolutely no benefit.

5. Paladin Michael

*smiling* depending on what kind of stuff is with the vendor ;)

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Calm down "Not-so-virtuous" Li!

7. Paladin Michael

What has this to do with my Vendor Li? *laughing*

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  8. Paladin Michael

Well, I thought, most people who like PvP are doing it for the adrenaline rush - so it would be another one with their Vendors ;)
    Imagine a group of PvP player, leaving a PvP zone, coming back to PvP town to drop their loot - recognizing, meanwhile another group raided their Vendors!
    --> May be the town owner could manage to add this possiblity, like the ransom for PvP in town? <--

To be more serious:
    I had the picture, Bedawyn was talking about Vendors with no change over months (ingame: years) - may be I got it wrong.

Everybody who runs around for hours knows, how much fun it is to waste time checking so many (almost) empty vendors ...

Another solution to get rid of them (=> loading time / performance), could be to send empty vendors to bank
    ... and after not updating it for (>6)months, sending vendor and items to bank?
    Nobody is loosing anything, but waste of time would be less ...

Besides, generally I am not a fan of loosing stuff I had to invest time for.
    But why shouldn't it be possible for 'not-so-virtuous' people to steel an item, if the vendor wasn't touched over 6 REAL earth months?
    For sure I couldn't remember what item it was, if I had been absent for 6 months ... and I wouldn't care.
    And: if a player would fail, may be he should have to pay a fee to the Vendor owner ;)
    If I would be absent for a long time I could take the items back to bank - and so the "empty" Vendor could be removed by game automatisms to prevent time wasting ...

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Would this extend to stealing from NPC vendors as well?

You are buying from them and decide to give yourself a five finger discount to the chucks of coal

:D

10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Let PVPers sell out of their backpack directly from whatever scene they are in a handful of items at any one time - say 5 max. No commission. (Or some other similar incentive to carry good loot for the grabbing)

Maybe ?

11. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

No. I don't PVP. My vendors don't PVP. If you want my stuff, you buy it.

12. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well not a game mechanic I would love but I guess nothing I would be generally against…at least if this wouldn’t be the one-sided mechanic you are asking for.
    If you are able to steal items from someone there must be also possibilities to counter/punish this action.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  13. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yes, I was talking about inactive vendors belonging to inactive players. The ones whose goods aren't in circulation because they're either hidden where shoppers don't find them or where the prices are so ridiculous that no one will ever buy them. I didn't clearly state this in the OP, but I definitely meant vendors that hadn't been interacted with at all in X months, not just ones where the stock hadn't been updated but people were still buying from it and the owner still collecting money.

I have a chronic illness that does make me drop off the face of the world for months at a time, sometimes years. So I have absolute sympathy for someone who might have bought into the game, be emotionally attached to the world and their space in it, but still not able to log in regularly. Although it's frustrating to see empty houses with inactive owners taking up prime locations, I wouldn't want to take anything away from those who do.

But with vendors, we're talking about stuff that the player has already said they're willing to lose, are actively looking to have taken off their hands. Sure, they wanted money for it -- but if they're not around to enjoy that money anyway...

Paladin Michael likes this.
  14. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'd absolutely be down with that. Again, I'm not talking about vendors that are empty because they've recently sold out and the player hasn't had time to restock yet. I'm talking about vendors that have been abandoned for at least 3-6 real earth months, are using up load time and player time in checking them, and not giving anything back to the game world to justify the cost in resources.

I wasn't thinking of that originally, but if a black-shroud character wanted to sell some black-market coal cheaper than the NPC, well, I'd be happy to buy it without asking where they got it. :) Of course, finding a NPC vendor who isn't within range of a guard or other witness could be tricky, but if the thief can solve that problem and is willing to take the risk, they should get the rewards.

Absolutely, I was never asking for one-sided. A chance of success always includes a chance of failure -- if there are guards or other witnesses, or if your skills aren't up to the task, you have to deal with the justicar just as in other cases of theft.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.