Role Play, Our Need for Progammable Macro Sentences

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Time Lord, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Role Play, Our Need for Programmable Macro Sentences"

I don't believe we have this option, and it needs to be addressed for all our better Role Play and online "Plays" as well as our greetings and everything else that is needing to be said "over and over again" or in a pre-programed way.

"Our Untested Silence"
    This is a seemingly simple thing to ask for, yet does have great impact to many things that we may also do that is not seemingly related such as dance at the same time as speaking or even to speak to each other while fighting.

"Like to Support?"
    If this is a subject or option that you would wish to see placed in our game...
    "Just Like this Post", show your support :D and leave any supporting or non-supporting comment you wish.

"Unforeseen Obstacles"
    But also, are there any other script communication issues that this could effect once enabled?
    Thanks for thinking about it with me :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Rennik, Borg, Xi_ and 16 others like this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sounds like a spam generator to me. What do you intend to use this for? An example might clarify things.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While convenient I can't say I've ever had much of a need. I can see how it might be useful for plays or something of that nature but really.. would not the ability to cut & paste into the chat serve this purpose?

The only time I ever felt the need was during knighting ceremonies in UO.. but I would cut and paste lines from a text file which worked just fine. Macros would be limited in number and a pain to change if you needed to. If someone had a lot of dialogue in a play there probably wouldn't be enough macros for all of their lines.

Time Lord and DizzySol like this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Text chat is a pain anyway, and is something I tend to ignore. Too much spam and nonsense anyway, usually, which is why I prefer voice chat. People I'm interested in hearing from are already all there.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

I look forward to seeing your list of one liners, Time Lord :D

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sure and here are a few examples;
    If you were to be performing in an online play on an online stage. You could them place your lines to be set in macro waiting to be said at their proper time within the stage play.
    Things in UO that took on a macro were simple things such as greetings when meeting friends or "bank" for opening your bank box (I think our SotA will be having bank point and click maybe)... and "buy" and "sell" became very used within UO. Guild Sayings and motto also became such valued usage of such macro'ed sentences. Yet also the "taunt" and the "quip" became very useful during conversation as well as other "common conversations" between NPC and the Player. You could therefore set some sentences to better and more easily interact with your servant, you pet or your talking mirror. Selling items on the open street is another example.

Some things can seem like Spam just as Spam can seem like meat, I don't think we can ever rid the entire world of it. Though, I do feel confined when chatting away in the chat box and the overhead text is about 9 seconds delayed from that within the box.

*After moving here to Amazing Thailand, I can say that, though not immune from some small Phone Spam (1 per month), I feel so much better when I get those calls now, because I am now that strange foreign voice on the phone with them, saying things like "Me speak only small Thai! But call my friend in Nigeria because he has an offer that can help you!" :D

What do you think about all this?

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I certainly know what I DON'T ever want to see in SotA.

"Bank Buy Sell Guards!"

Time Lord and DizzySol like this.
  8. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Maybe you can ask Winfield about that. RG talked about how plays could be supported at the PaxLair-play in R8.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"More Than a Feeling When Addressing a Need"
    While I can totally relate to that, I also ask, "How then do we call the Guards?".... to which the only answer could be "to type it in the box"... to which I have to retort with, "What's the Difference?"... and even then I must still replay that the only difference is "having to acquire by targeting the guard, yet also acquiring the chat box in order to have typed all those simple words"...
    :oops:
    It's a strange, but but useful thing using programed sentenced macros...
    Comments are all liked and invited by for this subject matter's betters public address :)!
    Sponsored by; The New Britannia Saving the Finger Society... making our New Britannia a better place while only using "One Finger" to do so :p

10. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Spammers do not need a tool to spam (and certainly don't need one as sophisticated as what is being proposed)... they will use whatever is available which is what tools like the Ignore function are for.

Tools like UO Curse were an amazing asset to the role play in UO. While not absolutely necessary, the functionality enhances ceremonies such as weddings that involve a lot of speech. I used UO Curse in more mundane interactions between my crafters and other players where it added to the depth of the character without a heavy burden of time that typing can require. It can also be very useful in RPvP and role played conflict. My main character on non-Siege production shard was a Sheriff for a RP city and I had an entire sequence of emotes that I used when using skills like Forensic Evaluation, during role played arrests, and scenes inside the guild jail. My ferret (a "Ninja" character that used the Ferret Form Talisman) used to entertain players with all of his emoted antics that I had macroed into UO Curse. I have seen a "blind" character put UO Curse and the Herding skill to great use... so great, it was the most capable and convincing role played blind character that I have seen of many in UO. Overall, a macro speech tool can greatly improve immersion and flow of role play.

11. Archibald Leatherneck

This type of behavior will not be prevented by the absence of a macro speech tool.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The difference is "Guards! Guards!" makes sense. "Bank buy sell guards!" Is completely immersion breaking nonsense. They're not calling for guards they're playing the system of the game listening for key words without regard for the actual situation and everyone know it. You might as well run around screaming that your favorite team just lost the super bowl or something and you ended up spilling Sprite all over yourself when your dog tried to eat your pizza.

I'd rather not have a system that encourages players to abuse blatantly in plain sight of the public.

StaticGrazer and Time Lord like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No but it might be encouraged by the presence of one.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Archibald Leatherneck

I am more than willing to accept that we may never agree on this matter. There are pros and cons. Tools like this can be used to a far greater use than any additional ill that they can be used for. It is an economic decision for me... the benefit is greater than the cost so it is a net good as far as I am concerned. Besides, the "Bank buy sell guards" macro crowd was not using UO Curse for their macro.

More to the point... role play is not mandatory. I see no need to limit the role play mechanics for players who chose to role play because players who choose to play the game as they see fit might use the mechanic as they see fit.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except not having macros does not limit RP in the slightest. Neither is it a significant help.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I have to disagree with the above statement because, "all of the greatest RP players I have ever met within the UO world all used macro'ed RP sentences and scripted unique RP emotes (*)".
    Archibald Leatherneck, I couldn't agree more!

17. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Sometimes makros in RP are nice, no need to use them in conversations or small-talk but for bards to syncron music and song-text, to give a longer speech or for plays, all what needs wall of text and have spectators which are waiting and listening.
    For sure C/P is useable too but macros are more comfortable for this part of RP :)

18. Archibald Leatherneck

This is statement is not true for the entirety of the community just because it is true for yourself. I have explained how it improves the immersion and flow of role play if there are strong speech macro tools so the lack of strong speech macro tools does limit RP in the slightest. It is a creative tool that is only limited by the creativity of the players using the tool. That creativity is unable to expressed to the same extent if you limit the tools to express that creativity.

19. Archibald Leatherneck

Thank you SO much for mentioning synchronized speech and emotes. I forgot to mention that in my list of applications.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've RPed with many great RPers inside and outside of UO who didn't use macro'ed RP sentences or scripted emotes. Not having them is not in the slightest bit limiting.

How is it more creative to use a tool to print what you would otherwise type? All it is is a convenient way to be lazy and say the same EXACT same thing over and over. Then what happens when you accidentally hit the wrong hot key.. seen that happen a few times.. people saying their farewells instead of their hellos.. whoops.

Sorry guys I'm not seeing it. More creative says you? Less in fact says I. For example: who uses the exact same greeting EVERY time? Reality? No one. There's really nothing you can do with a macro that you can't do without one.. expect maybe have a speedier cookie cutter response.

Incidentally.. I used UO Curse myself for knighting ceremonies. Like what you described which ultimately was nothing more than a time saver of not having to type out the same lines over and over.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.