RPOTA.COM Monthly Writing Contest: Giving Away $160 Add-On Credit & $60 Art Commission

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Elgarion De Kahli, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Here ye! Here ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute! Piano or Lute you ask? Why yes! A new module has been added for sharing ABC files, so an accompanying contest was also created!

Journey to the RPOTA website, and share in the grand adventure!

[​IMG]

Decembre's Judges are yet to be fully selected, but I'm proud and very happy to announce a special guest judge coming our way from Tortoise & Hare Creations, Will Billman II, the writer of the comic book, "Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings!"

Thank you all
    so much for Novembre's activity and submissions! The following guest judges are hard at work to name Novembre's winning entries! Expect the announcement shortly after the 10th of December!

[​IMG]
    Lady FireLotus, Community Manager and Content Writer at Portalarium...

Gina “FireLotus” Dionne got her start in the gaming industry working with Richard Garriott and team after being “discovered” doing what she loved; moonlighting as the Community Manager for a popular Tabula Rasa fan site. She moved to Austin, where she spent the next few years working as the web content writer and editor for both Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes. Since then, Gina has lent her talents as an independent contractor to several projects, most memorably Star Wars: The Old Republic. But Gina’s heart and her passion never strayed far from Community, and it wasn’t long before she was called home to work as the Community Manager for Shroud of the Avatar. Learn more about the developers for Shroud of the Avatar at their official website!

[​IMG]
    Count Kazyn Phoenixfyre, Esteemed Community Leader from the Phoenix Republic & Port Phoenix...
    Kazyn is the founder of The Phoenix Republic and a proud Citizen of Elysium. And through his amazing dedication to Shroud of the Avatar and with countless community projects under his belt, he is a ONBE recipient, a Royal Warrant Holder on behalf of the Phoenix Republic and the proud bearer of the fabled Chaos Spoon. And even after all these accomplishments, Kazyn has time and energy to be the sovereign of Port Phoenix itself! And what? Something else?! Why yes! Also Kazyn leads the charge in providing postal services throughout New Britannia -- support his latest cause and perhaps the developers will take notice of the amazing potential of this project!

[​IMG]

Balec Fares deCani, Community Leader from Bear Tavern...

When the world does not call Balec into peril whilst fighting elves and undead, you might find Balec Fares deCani serving his patrons at The Bear Tavern, one of the most renowned inn's throughout all of New Britannia, or he may be playing music with his friends and showband, Balec & the Crypical Enlightenment Travelling Show and Revue or leading a tour with the deCani Tour and Expedition Company to the far reaches of the lands. Regardless of the venture, you can be assured that Balec pursues it with passion, professionalism and dedication.

Novembre's Creation Contest Winners have been selected! Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) A huge thank you to the judges for taking the time to pour through the Novembre's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...
    So be sure to visit RPOTA.COM and get your submissions in before the end of the month! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Octobre's Contest...
    a very very special thanks to last month's judges and authors of the various content submissions!

[​IMG]
    Amber Raine of Blood Omen Caverns... the High Priestess of Chaos, a proud and faithful member of The Phoenix Republic and resident of Port Phoenix. Find her amazing works and poems throughout the SOTA community, definitely evident at Avatars Radio and throughout SOTA's community forums and amazing host to the Church of the Dark Star!

[​IMG]
    Gabriel Nightshadow of The Bear Tavern Guild... a man of mysterious past hailing from Wizards Rest of the Hidden Vale, Gabriel is a dedicated role-player and member of The Bear Tavern Guild and the Beran League. Be sure to seek his amazing works at TheCaverns.net and The New Britannian Theater Troupe!

[​IMG]
    Stryker Sparhawk of White Hart... a man who seeks the fabled city of White Hart, Stryker dedicates his time towards role-play and amazing involvement throughout the SOTA community. Discover his influence at Avatars Radio, where he serves us all as a devoted staff member. Also, each week he hosts the "Stryker Sparhawk's Happy Hour" role-playing event, open to all who care to join!

Octobre's Creation Contest Winners have been selected! Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) Thank you Amber, Stryker and Gabriel for taking so much time this month to judge Octobre's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...
    So far, RPOTA has consumed nearly 1000 hours of development time. It is a site purely for the community with no hidden fees, ads or tricks to steal your gold. RPOTA serves one purpose and one purpose only, to provide the most thorough and extensive RP database available to the Shroud of the Avatar Community.

Just added? The new ABC module, a potential music repository for safe and secure ABC file sharing!

Join us now and take part in the development of RPOTA. Already much has changed based upon community feedback! The more interest the site garners, efforts to provide great content and contests will multiply! Remember, with each prize awarded, more money is donated to the creation of Shroud of the Avatar!

Take care, friends

Rick/Duke Elgarion De'Kahli
    Dedicated Fan #1,257,532

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Howdy howdy -- just a friendly reminder that 30November approaches quickly. ALSO, notice I've loaded the upcoming contest judges in the main message above -- thank you SO SO SO much Lady FireLotus, Kazyn Phoenixfyre and Balec Fares deCani for gracing RPOTA with your esteemed judgilation abilities! I for one very much look forward to interacting with each of you in the coming weeks. Judges, if you'd like me to edit your entries please please let me know.

--Remember, all previously loaded content is still eligible, so feel free to dive in and embellish content already loaded!
    --Also remember, this content does NOT need to be made specifically for RPOTA.COM -- if you have a repertoire of SOTA content you'd like to share in the interactive database, please please -- submit away!

Some new features recently created at RPOTA or are coming soon!:
    • New ABC Module! This module also was added to the contest. Does your entry need to be original music for contest eligibility? Nope! Original music does garner extra points however...
    • New "Latest Content" Module! Now, find the latest content additions at RPOTA quickly and easily. Any time new content is added, threads are posted or comments made towards any content item, this activity feed summarizes all entries for easy navigation through latest activity!
    • New Vids Module! Got a story vid you'd like to share or a vid that tours your POT or describes your guild/faction? Perhaps tutorial? Post away! Already Shattered Moon Films is hard at work on their first story vid -- coming soon!
    • Upcoming Features! For a full list of upcoming features at RPOTA, visit this post... here, you can offer additional suggestions. 9/10 times they get added to my ever growing to-do list!
    • Goofy RPOTA AR Advertisement! Want to hear me sound like a complete goofball? This Avatar's Radio ad is currently airing routinely at Avatar's Radio!
    • New SOTARP.ORG Project Interface! Bowen Bloodgood offers wonderful Dungeon Master and Event Planning services through this project interface which links to RPOTA content as well as his own SOTARP.ORG website!
    • New Private Conversations Module! Got something private to share with others at RPOTA.COM? Start up a private conversation and link RPOTA content right to the dialogue.
    • New Scholars of Novia Project Interface! The Scholars of Novia proudly and kindly offer lore and continuity verification services for the entire SOTA community. This project interface allows you to link the content with which you require assistance. Once you click submit? The project begins and the Scholars are notified of your need and have access to your linked content for review!
    • Coming Soon... Diplomacy!
    • Coming Soon... Trade Agreements!
    • Coming Soon... Timelines!

@FireLotus
    @WrathPhoenix
    @Balec Fares deCani

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  3. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Just updated guest judge Balec's profile to provide much more information about his current projects:

When the world does not call Balec into peril whilst fighting elves and undead, you might find Balec Fares deCani serving his patrons at The Bear Tavern, one of the most renowned inn's throughout all of New Britannia, or he may be playing music with his friends and showband, Balec & the Crypical Enlightenment Travelling Show and Revue or leading a tour with the deCani Tour and Expedition Company to the far reaches of the lands. Regardless of the venture, you can be assured that Balec pursues it with passion, professionalism and dedication.

Thanks for the change request Balec! Much much better than what I had originally put :)

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I hope you do this again. There are so many side stories that can be told about the people and their trials and tribulations in this new world.;)

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

I'm going to try my very best to keep this up indefinitely and every month, Majoria :) I greatly appreciate your kind words I hope you inspire many to enter into the contest. When I distributed prizes last month, I felt like Santa! Just loved it!

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

oh cool. I am not caring about the prizes, but I am interested to see people tell their stories and have fun with it even if they are not necessarily a writer but that they have something to say and make the attempt.;)

7. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Ah most definitely. And I'm only just starting to explore the wide variety of fan sites out there. If you haven't stumbled across thecaverns.net yet, there is tons to read there! I've never experienced a community like this... Wonderful!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Just a reminder that the deadline approaches for Novembre's contest! Not only will I turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight on the 30th, but the contest is over! Soon after, judges will begin pouring through the content and voila, new prize winners will be selected!

Also, yet another collaboration interface has been created as of today! Not only is there a projects interface for Sotarp.org projects (story/event planning assistance) and Scholars of Novia projects (lore/continuity verification services), there is now a SotA Writing Round Table project interface to assist players seeking language embellishment assistance! Feel free to make use of these fine and generous (and entirely free) offerings from the community to embellish your writing at RPOTA or anywhere you have it created!

Again! I thank the esteemed judges for this month:

[​IMG]
    Lady FireLotus, Community Manager and Content Writer at Portalarium...

Gina “FireLotus” Dionne got her start in the gaming industry working with Richard Garriott and team after being “discovered” doing what she loved; moonlighting as the Community Manager for a popular Tabula Rasa fan site. She moved to Austin, where she spent the next few years working as the web content writer and editor for both Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes. Since then, Gina has lent her talents as an independent contractor to several projects, most memorably Star Wars: The Old Republic. But Gina’s heart and her passion never strayed far from Community, and it wasn’t long before she was called home to work as the Community Manager for Shroud of the Avatar. Learn more about the developers for Shroud of the Avatar at their official website!

[​IMG]
    Count Kazyn Phoenixfyre, Esteemed Community Leader from the Phoenix Republic & Port Phoenix...
    Kazyn is the founder of The Phoenix Republic and a proud Citizen of Elysium. And through his amazing dedication to Shroud of the Avatar and with countless community projects under his belt, he is a ONBE recipient, a Royal Warrant Holder on behalf of the Phoenix Republic and the proud bearer of the fabled Chaos Spoon. And even after all these accomplishments, Kazyn has time and energy to be the sovereign of Port Phoenix itself! And what? Something else?! Why yes! Also Kazyn leads the charge in providing postal services throughout New Britannia -- support his latest cause and perhaps the developers will take notice of the amazing potential of this project!

[​IMG]

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

One last little bump for the contest deadline which is tonight! Good luck to all who made submissions -- I really look forward to seeing who the judges liked best this time around!

Asclepius and Leostemplar like this.
  10. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Slight change -- updated the ad for Decembre's contest with a new pretty image :p Also, announced one of the judges for Decembre...

There's $55 in unclaimed prizes for Novembre (there was only $10 in unclaimed prizes in Octobre, so activity has dropped off a bit), I'll be thinking of a way to still give this back to this wonderful RP community. If ya got ideas, please let me know!

Take care, and long live Shroud of the Avatar!

11. Selene

Selene Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

So pretty! Love the graphic for this month!

12. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Hahaha, thanks! It was a fun one to make :p

13. Indi2

Indi2 Legend of the Hearth

I don't generally do (or understand) forums very well, but I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the first month's commission by TJ! Love doing character sketches! Looking forward to the quality submissions in the coming months, and excited to see what other art I can contribute to the winners. :) - Indi

14. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Ahhh, thanks for checking in, Indi! Each month that passes, in the least, I get to see 1 additional piece of your art on the site. It's certainly something I look forward to! :) And I can't wait to see who the winner is this month :) I gave the judges a bit of an extension, so sometime late Sunday or after work Monday I'll announce those winners :) Happy Holidays everyone!

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  15. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Realized I had a repeating theme of Goodwill from last months event. I've changed it to "Reflection of the Past" and kept "Winter Themes". If anyone started a Goodwill themed item, I'll still gladly give you extra credit for sticking to the theme :)

16. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Novembre's Creation Contest Winners have been selected! Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) A huge thank you to the judges for taking the time to pour through the Novembre's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...
    You'll notice that $65 in add-on store credit went unclaimed! Be sure to get those entries in -- even if you have no competitor, if your entry is deemed complete and eligible, I'll gladly give away a prize to someone running uncontested!

Also, the TIMELINE module is functional and basically complete. I'll be adding the functionality for Timeline entries to be commented upon shortly. After that? What's next you ask? THEMES are coming!

So be sure to visit RPOTA.COM and get your submissions in before the end of the month! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!