RPOTA.COM Monthly Writing Contest: Giving Away $170 Add-On Credit & $70 Art Commission

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Elgarion, May 25, 2016.

1. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute! Piano or Lute you ask? Why yes! A module has been added for sharing ABC files, so an accompanying contest was also created!

Journey to the RPOTA website, and share in the grand adventure!

[​IMG]

Well my friends, please please sit back and enjoy the new content at RPOTA! I very much look forward to your submissions, and I hope much happiness comes your way in the month of Juno! I'll have the contest winners announced likely around Julius 10th or thereabouts.

Take care, friends!
    Rick/Duke Elgarion De'Kahli
    Dedicated SOTA Fan #1,257,532

PREVIOUS CONTESTS:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maia Contest...
    the winners have been selected! Please take some time to congratulate our winners below and show some appreciation for their fine work and creativity!

Congratulations to the winners for Maia! Lots of fantastic content was submitted this month, and I must say, it's been quite a while since I've been able to award so many prizes -- lots of eligible submissions!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apru Contest...
    the winners have been selected! Please take some time to congratulate our winners below and show some appreciation for their fine work and creativity!
    Congratulations to the winners for Apru! I look forward to seeing more exciting content in the months to come!

Marse Contest...
    Congratulations to the winners for Marse! I look forward to seeing more exciting content in the months to come!

Of very special note for the Marse contest, the wonderful community of Beran's Reach has offered to sponsor ADDITIONAL prizes for the writers at RPOTA.COM! Thank you VERY much Tahru for taking such an interest in the creativity throughout New Britannia! Here are the contest rules that were presented:

Promotion for: The Beran's Reach Community and RPOTA
    Judges: @Aimend - @Duke Vallas [BEAR] - @Tahru
    Judging Requirements: Completely subjective.
    Writing Requirements: Story contains reference Bear Tavern or Victory Arena
    First Place: $50 Add-On Store Credit + Stone Bear Statue
    Second & Third Place: Bear Mask (even is there are ties)

Good luck artisans of New Britannia! I hope the success of these contests inspires others to take to quill and ink or pick up flute and harp! LONG LIVE SHROUD OF THE AVATAR!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Februa Contest... the winners have been selected! Please take some time to congratulate our winners below and show some appreciation for their fine work and creativity!
    Congratulations to the winners for Februa! These were some of the best entries yet, and most worked in very perfectly with the monthly role-playing theme of Love and Confession! I hope to see more outstanding work from this amazing community of writers. Please... PLEASE let me know what I can do to aid you to share your stories and adventures and creativity!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Janus Contest... Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) A huge thank you to the judges for taking the time to pour through the Janus's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...
    Congratulations to the winners for Janus!

Decembre Contest... with another contest behind us comes another round of victors! Look below to see who our oustanding guest judge was and who he selected as his favorites!

W. O. Billman II has been an amazing contributor to the Shroud of the Avatar Community...Through the brilliant writing of the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book, Will Billman II, along with artist Indi Martin, brought the Shroud of the Avatar community an tantalizing glimpse into the world of New Britannia. Together, they "create dwarf planets" through collaborative efforts as Tortoise & Hare Creations. T&H maintain a Patreon page which provides patrons who pledge to their endeavors a wide variety of goodies to include prints and even original artwork! There, you can look through a wide variety of their creations and learn of upcoming projects. One such project, called GoCache, is a custom GeoCache game which includes cards designed by this talented team! Also, you'll notice RPOTA.COM contains many pieces of T&H artwork: The Seven Sons, The Lone Wolf Faction, Admiral Gray, and The Broken Anchor Faction! Also, the grand prize winner each month wins a T&H art commission -- a $60 value!
    Congratulations to the winners for Decembre! I look forward to seeing more exciting content in the months to come!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Novembre Contest...
    a very very special thanks to Novembre's judges and authors of the various content submissions!

Lady FireLotus, Community Manager and Content Writer at Portalarium...
    Gina “FireLotus” Dionne got her start in the gaming industry working with Richard Garriott and team after being “discovered” doing what she loved; moonlighting as the Community Manager for a popular Tabula Rasa fan site. She moved to Austin, where she spent the next few years working as the web content writer and editor for both Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes. Since then, Gina has lent her talents as an independent contractor to several projects, most memorably Star Wars: The Old Republic. But Gina’s heart and her passion never strayed far from Community, and it wasn’t long before she was called home to work as the Community Manager for Shroud of the Avatar. Learn more about the developers for Shroud of the Avatar at their official website!

Count Kazyn Phoenixfyre, Esteemed Community Leader from the Phoenix Republic & Port Phoenix...
    Kazyn is the founder of The Phoenix Republic and a proud Citizen of Elysium. And through his amazing dedication to Shroud of the Avatar and with countless community projects under his belt, he is a ONBE recipient, a Royal Warrant Holder on behalf of the Phoenix Republic and the proud bearer of the fabled Chaos Spoon. And even after all these accomplishments, Kazyn has time and energy to be the sovereign of Port Phoenix itself! And what? Something else?! Why yes! Also Kazyn leads the charge in providing postal services throughout New Britannia -- support his latest cause and perhaps the developers will take notice of the amazing potential of this project!

Balec Fares deCani, Community Leader from Bear Tavern...
    When the world does not call Balec into peril whilst fighting elves and undead, you might find Balec Fares deCani serving his patrons at The Bear Tavern, one of the most renowned inn's throughout all of New Britannia, or he may be playing music with his friends and showband, Balec & the Crypical Enlightenment Travelling Show and Revue or leading a tour with the deCani Tour and Expedition Company to the far reaches of the lands. Regardless of the venture, you can be assured that Balec pursues it with passion, professionalism and dedication.

Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) A huge thank you to the judges for taking the time to pour through the Novembre's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...
    So be sure to visit RPOTA.COM and get your submissions in before the end of the month! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Octobre Contest...
    a very very special thanks to Octobre's judges and authors of the various content submissions!

Amber Raine of Blood Omen Caverns... the High Priestess of Chaos, a proud and faithful member of The Phoenix Republic and resident of Port Phoenix. Find her amazing works and poems throughout the SOTA community, definitely evident at Avatars Radio and throughout SOTA's community forums and amazing host to the Church of the Dark Star!

Gabriel Nightshadow of The Bear Tavern Guild... a man of mysterious past hailing from Wizards Rest of the Hidden Vale, Gabriel is a dedicated role-player and member of The Bear Tavern Guild and the Beran League. Be sure to seek his amazing works at TheCaverns.net and The New Britannian Theater Troupe!

Stryker Sparhawk of White Hart... a man who seeks the fabled city of White Hart, Stryker dedicates his time towards role-play and amazing involvement throughout the SOTA community. Discover his influence at Avatars Radio, where he serves us all as a devoted staff member. Also, each week he hosts the "Stryker Sparhawk's Happy Hour" role-playing event, open to all who care to join!

Congratulations to all of the winners! You'll notice each winning entry has been tagged with a title identifying each with reddened text so our fine winning entries stand out amongst the rest :) Thank you Amber, Stryker and Gabriel for taking so much time this month to judge Octobre's content! Below are shortcuts to each winning entry for easy viewing...

So far, RPOTA has consumed well over 1000 hours of development time. It is a site purely for the community with no hidden fees, ads or tricks to steal your gold. RPOTA serves one purpose and one purpose only, to provide the most thorough and extensive RP database available to the Shroud of the Avatar Community.

Coming soon? A new module called, "My Collections", which is intended to help people organize their in-game book libraries! I'm not sure if I'll figure out an accompanying contest for the Collections module, but rest assured, it will help every lore junky in New Britannia immensely!

Join us now and take part in the development of RPOTA. Already much has changed based upon community feedback! The more interest the site garners, efforts to provide great content and contests will multiply! Remember, with each prize awarded, more money is donated to the creation of Shroud of the Avatar!

Take care friends,

Rick/Duke Elgarion De'Kahli
    Dedicated Fan #1,257,532

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Just a reminder to folks, some of us have an extended weekend this weekend -- a great time to get some story writing done and submitted over at RPOTA.COM -- lots of prizes await!

Thanks to everyone, wholeheartedly, that have shown interest or participation at RPOTA thus far. Each and every time someone submits a story, vid, song etc, it truly makes my day!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Alrighty, got Juno's contest posted! I should have Maia's contest winners posted by the end of the upcoming weekend, but I'm off of work tomorrow so likely I'll have them posted by tomorrow night!

Good news too, almost every category had a content added which can be considered for the contest, so a lot of winners are coming our way!!!

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Major changes to the contest system coming--not for Juno's contest, which has already been announced, but you'll see the changes in Julius' contest advertisement.

I'll be toning back the total prize amount slightly and reformatting the criteria and categories.

1st: $50 add-on store credit
    2nd: $25 add-on store credit
    3rd: $10 add-on store credit
    Grand Prize: $70 Tortoise & Hare Art Commission

Things to consider:
    1. Now the prizes are cross-category. So before, a standing could only win a maximum of $5 add-on store credit. Now, however, a well written standing might garner the first place prize, which is $50 -- a huge difference.
    2. Before, the largest add-on store credit prize was $25 - so now there is a chance your work could garner $50 as an individual entry!
    3. I'll be revamping the criteria for the contest entries to be cross-category friendly when the change does come! (Broader, less specific).
    4. In the past, many prizes went unclaimed each month (simply scroll up and you can see all the unawarded prizes) but now since the prizes are cross-category, I will always be giving away the full amount of $85 add-on store credit with a $70 art commission, $155 guaranteed each month to be donated into the RP community of SotA :)
    5. Now hopefully Elgarion will be able to save more money so he can go to DragonCon among other things.
    6. Also, it takes considerable amounts of time to run/process the contest each month if it has 11 categories. 4 categories is going to really streamline things for me and might turn my 2-3 day monthly processing time down to just 1-2 days hopefully ;)
    Alrighty -- just a reminder, this does not affect the Juno contest, which will still utilize the old rules and prizes ;) So get those entries in there! And if you wanna hold off until Julius in hopes to get that $50 add-on credit instead, go for it my friends!

Thanks for all the support folks. It's an honor to provide the site to the community, and I'm deeply touched by the reception it has received.

~Elgarion / Rick

PS: I know I've been neglecting the updates to the Themes Module! Arrrrgh! So sorry -- not immediately, but I WILL get those daily and weekly changes occurring routinely very soon!