RPOTA.COM -- Role-Players of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Elgarion, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

With another contest month is upon us, comes another RPOTA Creation Contest!
    Head on over to RPOTA.COM to participate!

[​IMG]

Winners from the Decembre Creation Contest will be announced shortly!

And here are the Featured Writing / RP Themes for this Month!
    (Using one of these themes makes your entries eligible for the Grand Prize!!!)
    Featured Short Adventure:
    You've Been Ambushed!
    Ambush Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Whilst traveling abroad, your party has been ambushed! Roll for initiative, my friends! Wait, might there be a chance for parlay? To run? A bribe perhaps? Is fighting your only option? Perhaps these ambushers were driven to desperate measures, or perhaps they are as foul as they seem... If this is to persist over a long duration, then treat it as if there has been an increase of roadside robberies of late. Seek out these ambushers, to learn more of what they do and why! Do you stop them? Or perhaps you might profit from their ventures in some way?

Featured Lengthy Adventure:
    The Surprise Birthday Party
    Anniversary Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Whether it be short notice or a prolonged planning event, plan and hold of a fully immersive birthday party where all invited members portray their well-wishes to the birthday boy or girl. Of course, a birthday party isn't complete without some sort of adventurous fun for the guests! Perhaps a play is in order? Or a treasure or scavenger hunt? Games or challenges? Remember, a party is the perfect time to spin some tales or delve deep into the lore of New Britannia!

Featured Holiday:
    Daedalus Day
    Holiday: Month 01 (Janus) Theme by @enderandrew

The second day celebrates resilience and new beginnings. Having survived The Fall, citizens of New Britannia start this new day with a huge breakfast to celebrate the new world. Daedalus-shaped pancakes and pastries are a common dish. Together they hike back to their villages and towns with a new appreciation for what they have post-cataclysm. Then they throw a big feast at night in thanks and celebration. Everyone toasts to the youngest of the group as they look to the future.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Elgarion

Decembre Contest... Man oh man, what a fantastic month of reading I had! I really hope you folks are enjoying the creativity of this community as much as I am. Shroud of the Avatar is home to the best gaming community I've ever experienced, and I'm utterly proud to be a part of it. Please take the time to read the fine work of our winners this month, they truly truly deserve a huge pat on the back for their accomplishments and talent! And don't forget, the new Rumors Module will be coming to an RPOTA near you! I put this new module a bit on hold to give the Locations Module some MAJOR love. Last weekend, I added 31 locations (with MANY more to come) and I'm slowly integrating in the skull ratings for adventure scenes as well.
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "The Tourney of the Failed Experiment! - Chapters 1-4!"
      • What a wonderful story - and it matches the theme for RPOTA's monthly contest for Decembre! Paws and his focus potion addiction really made me chuckle. This is two months in a row for Dr. Zazeriz to take first place -- congratulations Dr. Zazeriz! I so do hope there's so much more to come!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cassyr Dubois for the legal analysis , "On Mad Justice!"
      • I really enjoyed this work. Very insightful. I wonder if Sir Richard Hare actually didn't die on Earth on 2002 and instead travelled through the Rift to bring his teachings to New Britannia ;) Or perhaps he travelled to New Britannia throughout his life. (Could be a neat Character for someone to play). So, on another note... congrats Cassyr!
    • 3rd Place Prize ([strike]$10[/strike] Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Olthadir for his fantastic insight into the mysterious nature of death, "Musings on Death!"
      • So first off, Olthadir should NOT sell himself short. He replied to me upon notification of his win that he thought it was his weakest published piece thus far, but it definitely intrigued me. Perhaps death intrigues me. Hmmm, perhaps I need to see a shrink. In any case... I had a lot of trouble finding an entry befitting a 3rd place $10 prize entry this month... so much that I've essentially awarded $25 add-on credit for two entries this month! Congrats! The insight and possibilities you've provided us (and definitely me) into the afterlife were very enlightening. Please enjoy the $25 add-on store credit prize!
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Indi Marin Art, $70 Value) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "The Tourney of the Failed Experiment! - Chapters 1-4!"
      • Again Dr. Zazeriz honors me (and truly motivates me to work on my Themes some more haha) by writing stories matching one the 3 featured RP themes! Congratulations Andartianna! I'll put you in touch with @Indi2 of Tortoise & Hare Creations immediately! Tortoise & Hare Creations is the creative force behind the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book!
    Thanks so much for all the interest in RPOTA folks! Be sure to keep the RPOTA.COM Activity Feed bookmarked to keep abreast of all the new content filtering in through the Rift -- there are SO many other works yet to be praised for their hard work and talent :)

3. Elgarion

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

Journey to the RPOTA website, and share in the grand adventure!

[​IMG]

True Love, True Hatred
    Wedding Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Bells ring loudly! Friends and family cheer, overjoyed from the spectacle. A union between two so deeply in love that they're blind to all else upon their wedding day. All they see are each other's eyes. Each other's smiles. Their laughs. Each is captivated by every nuance, every idiosyncrasy of the other. They are the epitome of love. Sequanna looks upon them both and smiles. Content that Virtue has returned to New Britannia. But things were not always as such. What adventures led up to this very moment which brought these two soulmates together? Surely they have a story to tell? Or perhaps there is another, distraught by hatred or betrayal, who looks upon these proceedings with venom in their eyes. Surely there be a tale there as well...

The Shard Falls of Novia
    Shard Fall Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

When the two moons collided, the rage of the gods above exploded in fury. To those of no faith, there were others surely blamed. The Avatars. The Titans. Meddling wizards. But regardless of what hand sculpted the apocalypse, enormous fragments plummeted unforgiving, destroying all, tearing the land asunder and rendering extinct entire civilizations without prejudice.A testament to the horrors of The Fall still remain to this day. The Shard Falls. Clusters of massive obsidian stones, imbued with forgotten magics of the old world. The dark stones hover stoic, monuments to an ancient past, refusing to touch the scarred earth beneath a chiseled crystalline base. Each vibrates, emitting a maddening near imperceptible hum, invading the ears of those nearby. Twisted reflections cast back onto the beholder, suggestive, teasing, mocking, enraging. Dare ye venture forth into a Shard Fall, oh Avatar? Share tragic tales of the your madness which ensued within. The confusion... the mesmerization... the delicious desire to destroy. How did ye resist the enraging enchantments of the Shards? Or did ye give in to temptation and ravage all before you?

Featured Holiday:
    Confession Day
    Holiday: Month 02 (Februa) Theme by @Bowen Bloodgood

A common tradition of love throughout many lands in New Britannia is Confession Day. It is the first of a two day holiday, the second being Response Day, in which unmarried women give a gift to the men they admire and love in their townships, in hopes to inspire a response from the man during the next day. It is also common for weddings to occur on this day, especially for those who mutually gave and received their romantic interests.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Elgarion

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

[​IMG]

The Encoded Note
    Auspicious Event Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

You and your party have decided to do a bit of research at a local library of sorts. A friend has offered use of their library for your fact finding mission, which has offered you and your party several days of relaxation mixed with occasional naps as you peruse the dusty tomes. But at last, within a tome which seems related to the topic for which you were searching, a folded parchment falls out and too the floor.

You immediately gather up the oddly placed document and unfold it for viewing. The parchment is aged, but not terribly so and remains well intact as you handle it. Upon it are runes, of a script ancient and uncommon. Could this page hold answers you seek? It was in fact within a tome which held many clues to your educational endeavor, but could the note itself be the elusive key to learning all in regards to this most puzzling of quandaries? Perhaps there is someone you know who might be able to translate this encoded message...

To Bring Law & Order
    Laws of the Land Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

As virtue slowly returns to these forsaken lands, anarchy ebbs towards Order. Each city state adopts differing values and laws, of which offer a wide variety of considerations, both ethical and tyrannical. Oh Avatars, what laws shall ye bring to these disparate peoples? Can ye unite the masses under one rule? Speak now the words of Order. With these edicts and treatises, perhaps thy governing tones shall set the stage for a defining law throughout all of the lands.

Featured Holiday:
    Noroc Day
    Holiday: Month 03 (Marse) Theme by @enderandrew

The sailors that brave the treacherous waves in the Bay of Storms are as salty as the seas and as hard headed as the barnacles below their ships. They believe in little, but what they do believe in, they believe mighty hard. They believe in themselves and their skill. They believe in their ships. They believe in the stars that they sail by and perhaps most of all, they believe in luck.

In the stars, they follow Noroc; the three legged rabbit. Sailing towards any of the three legs is good luck. Sailing in the direction of the missing leg is never done for that would bring about terrible luck.

Upon shore, the sailors set a day aside for Noroc. The day comes in early Marse which marks the five month rainy season which makes the Bay of Storms even worse to travel through. The festivals are found in port villages around the Bay and feature barrel upon barrel of rum. Oddly enough, the sailors also exchange gifts. Symbols of luck are very powerful and one or three should always be on one's person. A horseshoe, an acorn, a bronze coin (minted on only one side), a red feather, a vial of salt and a Cat's Eye stone are popular amongst the sailors. Gifts of a black feather, a fang of a snake or coal are considered "bad luck." People that give gifts like these often find themselves at the bottom of the Bay of Storms.

The holiday is celebrated inland and in other regions of Novia as well, but without the sailing. Sometimes it is merely hunting expeditions or town dances.

5. Elgarion

Here are Februa's Winners -- sorry it took me so long to get these posted! Be sure to check out RPOTA's new contest module. Enjoy!

Februa 2017 Contest...
    • Winning Storyline by @Olthadir , "The Darkness in the Waste" Chapter 1-2 Awarded $50 Add-On Store Credit
      • Okay, now this was just cool! I like how you revealed her madness... and I must say, yet AGAIN you inspire me to write. The last story about the Void and now this one -- I know you gave me permission to build off this for my Void stories, so I need to get a crackin! And alas, now I have more material to pull from lol. So so cool. And to tie the Void into a Shardfall, now that opens up some possibilities... hrrrrrrm. Thanks for contributing, Olthadir!
    • Winning Storyline by @Andartianna, "Verat Chaos , Fire's From Above" Chapter 8-11 Awarded $25 Add-On Store Credit
      • Thank you so much for returning to this story for completion and closure -- a true Daedalus Day adventure indeed :) Also, it was a pleasure to see that you included some of the newer gaming content into the storyline -- the Clockwork Dragon! It's simply a pleasure to have you active at RPOTA and you're a true gift to the Shroud of the Avatar Community :)
    • Winning Journal Entry by @Cassyr Dubois, "The Law of Contracts, Book 1" Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit
      • Ah, now this can be some interesting role-play. I can just see this contract law being utilized for disputes for trade and crafting throughout Novia. Already, I know of people going to work for others by gathering or through agriculture, and their contracts are by word of mouth alone. Perhaps not only could the magistrates of New Britannia settle disputes between contracted parties, but they might even offer their pens and minds to craft said contracts? With the in-game book system, this makes it even more interesting since the books can bear the signature of the writer, so the person obligated under contract were to write the book, by publishing it, they've also signed the document. Congrats on your $10 prize this month, Cassyr! I look forward to seeing what you bring us for Marse's contest -- alas, there is a Law and Order Theme this time around!
    • Winning Storyline by @Olthadir , "The Darkness in the Waste" Chapter 1-2 Awarded Indi Martin Art Commission - $70 Value
      • I got the email sent on over to @Indi2 -- expect some questions from her soon as to what you'd like for an art commission!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Time Lord and Olthadir like this.
  6. Elgarion

[​IMG]

Stepping Through the Rift
    Rift Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Avatars of New Britannia almost always share one common experience-their journey to our world of adventure and hardship. The Rift uprooted these Outlanders from lives foreign and far, across the nether of space and sometimes time itself. What occurred during this journey? Just before the portal took them, what was their last actions before leaving their home? Was this voyage by chance or by intent? Did they have an adventurous heart, curious to what lay beyond, or did the hole in space take them unwilling and afraid? Perhaps they were fleeing from dangers perhaps graver than what they suspected lie beyond the portal? And once arriving, what or who did they initially encounter? Do they now seek a way home, or did these Outlanders embrace this new world--have they only now found their home?

Twisting of Magic
    The Fall: Miscellaneous Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

As the two moons collided, wreaking havoc upon the tendrils and fabric of magic throughout the realm of New Britannia, much changed within the mystical world. Surely, the shower of Shards were devastating physically, but alas, even the most powerful of wizards were helpless to defend themselves and their peoples as the onslaught of debris rained down with unforgiving fury. This cataclysmic event reshaped sorcery itself--words once powerful were now essentially gibberish. Everything must be learned anew. What difficulties did this present the mages of old? How did they overcome this magical tragedy? Were there others which could exploit the absence of these enchantments and spell singers? Were those adept in Moon Magic more greatly affected? Were those adept in the other schools less affected? Who suffered greatest from this loss? Avatars, we await your tales with bated breath and intrigued minds.

Featured Holiday:
    Festival of Sacrifice
    Holiday: Month 04 (Apru) Theme by @Bowen Bloodgood

The Festival of Sacrifice is characterized by "giving things up" or "doing without." It is a common practice to choose several items that one voluntarily sacrifices for the duration of the month; and furthermore, any time one would normally indulge in those things, one instead either gives that item (in the case of physical things like food) or performs some equivalent service to those in need. It is not uncommon for those who are successful but devout or superstitious to embark upon a pilgrimage of sorts to poor communities; there, they will try to live as simply as they are able, and attempt to gain understanding or remembrance of what life is like for the underprivileged.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Elgarion

8. Elgarion

[​IMG]

A Fish Story
    Gathering: Fishing Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

This started as a simple enough day; the sun was shining and warm, the breeze was cooling and gentle, and the murmur of the river flowing past you was as calming as it was picturesque. Pleasurable hours of casting, reeling, conversing and baiting of your hooks make the day nearly one of perfection. But alas, nothing is biting... until now! Your rod bends quickly and hard towards the water, catching you completely by surprise. Your companion looks to you in excitement as you begin your struggle. What could it be, at your line's end? And what fish story might ensue? Perhaps you had dozed off, and it is all a dream, but likely, you have a fisherman's tale to spin, and we await your unexaggerated recollections.

Abounding Abundis

Determined yet travel worn, your party treks westward through North Paladis, longing for the journey's final respite at Harvest, along the coast of the Naryad Channel. Having just departed Yew only a day before, and the Hallowed Plains two days prior, grumblings about sore feet and growling bellies already cause concerns over the rationing food for the remainder of the voyage.

Alas, one party member proposes something most interesting. A possibility which could cut days if not an entire week off of your journey. "I was figuring, we could stop in one of towns to the west, along the Abundis River. Perhaps there, we can charter a river boat for the remainder?"

As the party's leader, you mull this over for a moment. Could a river craft on the Abundis be worth the risk? Perhaps staying on foot and following the river's edge is the safest option. Or dare ye look to magic to speed your course. Whatever you choose, oh adventurer, choose wisely, for your companions are looking to you for wise leadership.

Featured Holiday:
    Jaana's Ford
    Holiday: Month 05 (Maia) Theme by Erik O'Connor

In the lands of South Paladis, you will find the Jaana river leading down into the village of Jaanaford. While they say history easily gave way to myths and hearsay in the chaotic days that followed the Fall, there is a tale that persists of the river and town's namesake. Whether or not it is true, bards enjoy recounting the tale.

In the early days after the Fall, the few survivors that remained scattered amongst the ruins of Novia, looking for a means to sustain life. A group had settled near the then unnamed Jaana river where it poured into the Bay of Storms. Both fresh and saltwater fish could be caught. There was clean drinking water from the river, and easy irrigation for crops. People planted what they could, and brought in docile animals they found on the plains to raise as livestock. Men of the village would often go out and work in the fields, while woman stayed behind and watched over the animals and young. Wolves no longer found easy prey on the plains as so many animals had been brought into the village as livestock, so eventually they decided to move towards the prey. A hungry and desperate pack of wolves approached the village when Jaana was the only adult around, watching over both a flock of sheep and young children.

She had no weapon to fight back the wolves to defend the sheep and children, let alone herself. But she did have a torch in case the sun set low and it got dark while they were still out. She lit the torch and tried scaring off the wolves with flame, until one circled behind her and bit her leg, forcing her to drop the torch. It was the hottest part of May, and the crops were dry. They quickly caught fire. As the fire spread, the wolves did flee, but the terrified children and sheep still needed to get to safety. She could not carry them all, especially with an injured leg. The fire circled around them, and the only safe passage was towards the river.

The river was not exceptionally deep, but it was deep enough to prevent the sheep and children from crossing. She stood in the deepest part, barely able to stand with her head above water on a bleeding leg and helped the sheep and children to safety ford across the river. But as the last one safely crossed, they could see the last bit of life slip away from her eyes. She had lost too much blood and collapsed in the river. The men saw the flames and rushed back. The flames had prevented anyone else from getting close enough to help in time. They were grateful the animals and children were safe, and they never forgot the sacrifice of Jaana's ford.

Even for those who don't live anywhere near South Paladis, people still celebrate sacrifice in mid-Maia. Some forgo their dinners for an evening and offer up the meals to soldiers and guards instead. Others pay tribute to the sacrifice their parents made in raising them.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Elgarion

Apru 2017 Contest Winners...
    • Winning Journal Entry, "Occasional Notes of Jude Stoddard" Awarded $50 Add-On Store Credit (@Womby )
      • I love this journal series! Great work Womby! It seems familiar to me -- is this a featured story on your island which has an associated visual in-game quest? I'm honored you'd post your fine work here, at RPOTA, as always. With that, I'm proud to say that you've garnered the $50 add-on Store Credit Prize for Apru AND the Grand Prize (the Indi Martin Art art commission, $70 value) for matching a creation to one of the featured themes of the month, The Twisting of Magic! Thanks Womby, and thanks for your contributions to RPOTA and the SotA Community :)
    • Winning Character, "Vesceries Alhriem" Awarded $25 Add-On Store Credit (@Vesceries )
      • Now how have I not noticed this bio before?!? I'm guessing since I didn't make notifications to my inbox for edits, perhaps you went back later and wrote your bio after your initial character creation? Amazing work -- you have skill with the quill and ink, my friend. I truly enjoyed the concept of an elf coming to us from another world, broken and defeated AND coming to us by other means than a Rift. I wonder truly if the obsidian pool was a portal opened by his Moon Goddess, or perhaps some other "benefactor" decided to grant him passage to New Britannia. Each and every paragraph of your bio could be drawn out into a story of its own. Great bio! And thus, you have been awarded $25 add-on store credit for your character bio for the month of Apru! Congratulations :)
    • Winning Journal Entry, "Treatise on Criminal Law, Book 1" Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit (@Cassyr Dubois )
      • How many months in a row have you been a winner of one of the RPOTA Creation Contest. Hmmmm, let's see... I believe this is 7 months in a row now? Your law library has been a joy for me to feature each month. Congrats on yet another win with this entry AND please enjoy an additional $10 add-on store credit, Cassyr!
    • Winning Journal Entry, "Occasional Notes of Jude Stoddard" Awarded Indi Martin Art Commission - $70 Value (@Womby )
      • The winner of the art commission for Apru's Contest is Womby! A repeat winner of the Grand Prize from many many months ago. Last time, he commissioned a fantastic logo for TheCaverns.net. Let's see what he comes up with this time!
    Congrats to the winners above! And good luck to all those making entries for Maia's Creation Contest!

Olthadir and Time Lord like this.
  10. Elgarion

[​IMG]

Featured Short Adventure...

The Curse of the Fearless
    Curse Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Fight or flight? What does one choose? Each and every moment of adventure most assuredly prompts such decisions, some conscience, knowing the Oracle's Watchers gaze upon you as the ramifications of choice dance in your mind. To worry too greatly of a wrongful turn, is that cowardice? Or merely caution? To take the more dangerous route, the one most direct, does that exemplify Courage or merely impatience and recklessness?

But what if one was cursed? Cursed with the inability to exhibit fear. Flight is no longer an option. What horrific artifact might imbue the wearer with such a seemingly beneficial blessing? To not know fear is to be unaware of your limitations. With bandits abounding, why run? "To run is cowardice. They pose no threat to you! Stand -- fight!" the artifact whispers softly in your subconscious mind.

What would the Watchers see? What would they show The Oracle if your only option was ever to stay the course? If Virtue is the only possible path, what becomes of one's destiny? If one is never tested by choice, can one truly be the Avatar foretold?

Featured Lengthy Adventure...
    The Inheritance
    Birthday Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

The day has come. Again, the anniversary of your birth. Friends and colleagues gather in a local tavern for the celebration of your life and offer recollections of your trials and tribulations, some of which are flattering, but most are embarrassing to remember. All in jest, however, and the night's revelries ensue with much merriment and laughter. But, upon the midnight hour, and as energies wane, many have departed, surely to regret their heavy inebriations the following morn.

You remain, also quite stupified, but you could not leave in good conscience as the barkeep cleans up the inordinate mess. As you assist, working around sleeping friends and patrons, you notice that amongst the gifts, all are opened except one, one which you do not remember seeing before. Perhaps a late arrival snuck onto the stack, unbeknownst to you?

Grinning, you set aside the damp rag and tray of dishes for a moment, and sit upon a bench to examine the ornate coffer. Most assuredly, the container in and of itself is gift enough, for it is encrusted with rare gemstones, set within an intricate silver casing. After taking in the vessel's beauty brought to life by the flickering hearth nearby, you open it slowly, perhaps to deepen the suspense. A soft glow casts upon your face as you look within.

Awaiting your gaze, within the container, an object of such peculiar origins rests, with a note placed at its side. Scrawled upon the parchment are these words, "Your time has come. On this festive anniversary, I bequeath this to you. I take much comfort in knowing that you are truly worthy of such responsibility. May Grannus grant you Courage." And the adventure begins.

Featured Holiday...
    Granus Day
    Holiday: Month 10 (Octobre) Theme by Erik O'Connor

As Octobre wanes, King Granus claims a holiday like the other Titans. As expected, courage is the theme. In many towns across Novia you might find the mayor of the town dressed up in a monster costume while the children and townsfolk chase away the "monster". The specific monster depends on the region and whatever boogeyman they wish to rid themselves of through this holiday ritual.

People look forward to and speculate on what creature costume will be unveiled for that town each year. Though in Norgard, the boogeyman is always a Kobold and is rarely a person in a costume. Instead it is usually an effigy and everyone gets one smack at the effigy with a stick. With actual war constantly present, they do not need to prove their courage by slaying a fake troll. Instead they revel in taking their frustrations out against a representation of their very real enemy.

Adults may also take part in tournaments such archery, fencing or boxing to demonstrate their martial prowess with prizes for the victors. Again, as with Sequanna and Boreus day, some put out and decorate statues of the Titan, whereas that particular tradition is rarely observed in the Vale.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Olthadir and Time Lord like this.
  11. Elgarion

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Elgarion

I've enhanced the sign-up process at RPOTA to better explain that account creation is not character creation, and that character creation must occur for full use of the site (since you post content as your character). Also, there is a new robust help page which provides a step by step process for the site's general use. A nice little guide for beginners.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Elgarion

[​IMG]

Featured Short Adventure...
    Recollection of the past...
    Birthday Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

The night draws to an exhausting, yet comforting end. Around you? Your friends, both new and old. Most, inebriated beyond comprehension, at least comprehension of anything other than a hearty response to a raised mug of ale. Some of your dearest friends are gathered in a circle at the far end of the tavern. With a full ale, you walk towards them with a devilish grin upon your face, having a story in mind to entertain them. Seeing your coming brings smiles to theirs, and once you sit upon the the open stool amongst them, they all turn to you in anticipation. You have the floor, oh Avatar. Please your friends with a tale from your past, one which will inspire, frighten or enthrall. One in which they'll carry with them always. For the night is almost to a close. Such a pleasant eve should end with a pleasant weave of tale and myth.

Featured Lengthy Adventure...
    Isn't It Ironic?
    Consequences Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Oh jesters, minstrels, scriveners and playwrights... dearest lyricists, poets, and historians, we implore! Bring us a bit of lore, but with a twist! Not just having a fork instead of a knife. Bring us a tale of intriguing irony, one which makes our eyes water or mouths curl to a smile. Whether it be a story of giants or worms, mighty ocean vessels or turbulent storms, brave warriors or bright yellow yarn, bring us something unexpected, full of sorrow, wit, or charm.

Featured Holiday...
    King's Day
    Holiday: Month 07 (Julius) Theme by Bowen Bloodgood

Lord British ruled for several centuries ushering in not only the virtues but many innovations as well as sponsoring cultural projects. He was by all accounts (save from those some Serpent Isle) a much loved ruler. It is only natural that some kind of birthday tradition emerge over the many long centuries of his reign. Even though many now may no longer remember why. Lord's Festival is in celebration of benevolent rule and rulers.

Lord's Festival traditions may include feasts and tournaments often sponsored by the local lord for the people (or visa versa?). The events of this particular day should reflect the relationship between a particular town or city state and their respective leaders. Traditional foods for this day of honor often includes mutton and venison as the main course at banquets or other large gatherings as well as red wine.

As such, traditions may (and probably should) vary. Resolute would certainly have a tournament for example while Britanny may have a more low key tradition of staging a particular play every year. Today, tournaments are often held where contestants will act as champions to fight for the honor of others such as group, their home town, a cause or perhaps a loved one. These Tournaments of Honor rarely result in fatalities which occasionally must occur but rather only until there is a clear victor. Other popular traditions include story telling, plays, stag hunts (which is considered by some to be a sport for nobles and usually preceding a feast or banquet) and feasts where toasts are often offered to honor those to whom someone is thankful. It is not uncommon to also find valorous individuals at the local tavern sharing embellished stories of valor and glory over copious amounts of ale and spirits. Since the establishment of the city states, each region has developed their own traditions.

This time of frequent tournaments is about victory and pure martial ability. Gambling is also particularly prevalent, although frowned upon by the more devout. Chess and other non-physical games based on strategy and tactics are common. County fairs with competitions of every sort are frequent, and often the victors are sent to the capital to compete in countrywide competitions, or presented as gifts to the Lords (depending on what sort of victory is in question).

Some traditions regarding Honor may include recommitment ceremonies, particularly a knight’s oath to their lord. Married couples may have some kind of recommitment traditions such as a family dinner with a special speech or toast. Visiting the place of their marriage or annual honeymoon etc.

The origin of the Day of Honor has been a subject of some debate among historians. We know that it predates the Fall but there is little else we can be certain of except from what we see today. The Day of Honor and The Lord’s Festival are just a few names given to this holiday whose meaning and means of celebrating varies from town to town. Common themes include celebrating honor, leadership and nobility. One popular theory on how this holiday came about is that there was once a king who was so loved by the people that they spontaneously began to honor his birthday. Another is that it began when lords took an interest in martial sports and hosted many tournaments where knights would fight to entertain the lords and their guests.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Elgarion

[​IMG]

Another Hunter of the Same Quarry
    Hunting Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

With bow in hand, sling readied or spells at the edge of your tongue, finally, the moment has come. Parting the branches quietly before you reveals your quarry, at last, drinking from a river's edge in the clearing just beyond your place of concealment. You've been tracking this elusive curiosity for weeks, and alas, it is here! Before you! Yours to... wait. No. Oh no...

Another hunter, you see them on the other side of the river, having just spotted them as well! The other hunter, however, does not appear to have the same intentions as you.

What do you do? Were you here to help the quarry? To slay it? To capture it? One thing for certain is the other hunter has spotted you and is rushing in to ruin your plans. You'd better take action now, oh Avatar, or your weeks of work might have been in vain. And always remember... the Oracle is watching.

Who'd Rather Help a Bandit?
    Encounter Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Whilst not so soundly asleep in your rather lumpy, rather smelly, rather damp, rather itchy bed in a rather unkempt tavern, you were awoken by a muffled yelp not too far from the window of your rather dirty room. Feeling rather annoyed, weighing whether to return to your rather restless slumber, you decided rather to investigate. Opening the rather stubborn window, revealed was a rather spectacular view of the city wall, not three feet away, hardly visible, as it was rather late.

Tired from a days long journey, you almost decided to return to bed rather than continuing your search, but the yelp returned, this time accompanied by a discernible voice, "You! There... I... I know you'd rather be sleeping, but perhaps, for some coin, I could interest ye in offering me some aid? I... seem to be rather stuck." Your gaze follows the rather desperate voice upward along the wall and landed upon a bandit, dangling by his rather strong leather belt. "It's me belt. It snagged on this rather pointy spike atop the wall. I can't seem to get free. Might ye aid this rather poor hermit, who be rather... no... quite a bit in distress?"

What say ye, Avatar? Might this be a moment to aid one who'd likely never aid another? Could this be no truer a test of your Virtue than any you've encountered? Or perhaps it is a ruse? Would you rather call the town guard and return to your rest upon your rather lumpy, rather smelly, rather damp, rather itchy bed? Whatever you do, dazzle us with your choice, oh Avatar, for we'd rather be entertained!

Recommitment Day
    Holiday: Month 08 (Augus) Theme by Erik O'Connor

They say young love blossoms in the Spring, and passions follow the heat of Summer. As Summer wanes, lovers wish to reassure each other that their love is not ephemeral and passing. Couples took to gathering poppies and other Augus-blooming flowers and offering them to their partners with new found oaths of recommitment.

Feudal lords and fiefdoms sometimes took umbrage that their servants praised their lovers too much, putting them on pedestals so high it might present a conflict of interest in serving their Lords and Ladies. The custom them became for those in service to also renew their oaths of service as vassals to their Lords and Ladies as well. And so it spread to any type of oath or vow, that people would renew it on Recommitment Day throughout the land.

In the Hidden Vale this holiday takes on a completely different meaning. They celebrate their freedom from any sort of feudal ties. People take time off their jobs but there is no parade or organized festivities. People revel in leisure because there is no Lord or Lady that can force them to work.

Citizens of the Vale who put in honest work through the rest of the year are encouraged to be selfish and lazy for a day or weekend unabashedly. If there is any vow of recommitment in their observation of this holiday, it is in self-renewal.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  16. Elgarion

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Elgarion

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a weekly spotlight extravaganza awarding those most adept with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

A WORD FROM ELGARION:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some might take note, that the contest has drastically changed in format and in the amount of winnings I'm awarding. The new format frees up much time for me to concentrate on other real life matters AND to allow for more time actually playing Shroud of the Avatar and socializing with the creative souls within.

The new prize amounts (the reductions from about $150 a month to $40 a month) is because I'm now unemployed. My new goal in life is to focus on creativity and do my best to live with frugality in hopes I can dedicate myself to Shroud, the community, and other creative ventures. With that in mind, I still wish to award others for their creativity and decided to work $10 a week into my budget. Thank you all SO SO much for your support in the past, and I hope the new lower prize amounts do not discourage participants.

Long live Shroud of the Avatar!

18. Elgarion

Augus 2017 Contest Winners...
    Congrats! As this will be the last month with this contest format, I hope you all enjoy the upcoming weekly creation spotlights, each to be awarded $10 in add-on store credit!

19. Elgarion

Winning Character, "Helvig Ingvildsdottir" Awarded RPOTA Spotlight - $10 Add-On Store Credit!

[​IMG]
    Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Lone Wolf
    Unaffiliated
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on September 10, 2017 9:28am
    Helvig is from viking-time Scandinavia. Already at her birth, her mother devoted her to the goddess/giantess Hel, the nordic goddess of Death and the Afterlife. Helvig was raised in the forest alone by her mother, to be a völva just like her mother was. She is an experienced magic worker. This is to say: medieval earth magic with effects that are based on coincidence, perception and psychic manipulation. One day, in the second year after her mother's death, a young man with a pyromaniac problem showed up at her door and claimed to be the twin brother her mother had left to die after their birth. Less than an hour after he had reveiled this, they both were drawn into New Britannia together, for what purpose they do not know.

@Helvig Ingvildsdottir , Congratulations!​

Lord-Galiwyn, Vox Aquila and 3devious like this.
  20. Elgarion

Alrighty folks! The prototype for the RP Actions Module is live! Give it a whirl. :) If you just want to toy with it and create fake entries, indicate that they are fake within the entry and I'll delete them after you play around with it a bit.

http://www.rpota.com/#actions-in-new-britannia/

The purpose of RP Actions is to provide a quick easy way to indicate an RP nuance to the RP community. Currently, there are actions for whispering a rumor, issuing a bounty, declaring war, promising peace, claiming contested territory, making a simple announcement as well as 4 trade type RP actions. Expect more action types to come in the future AND further integration for Actions into the other RPOTA modules.

I've input 6 RP Action examples utilizing my character's and town's storyline. Elbyon and Kala-Sharee are not available for actual RP purposes until I get my additional character slots :p

Any comments, complaints or ideas are greatly appreciated ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Berek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.