Rune Books or Something Similar?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Quinn Zorich, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Hello,
    I find myself traveling back and forth between Brittany Estates and Soltown. The travel takes a long time and I die a lot. Is there an equivalent to a rune book in SotA?
    Thanks in advance!
    Clay

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

hello Claybwagner. No unfortunately rune books will not come into Shroud of the avatar. Here is the way people get around. First off you bind some place and use recall to return to that bind. Next thing is you can teleport to friends you have on your lists if you see they are in a place you want to go. You do not teleport to them just the entrance of the scene they are in. If you cannot teleport to them it means they are in a different mode or for example in a mine or some place you may not teleport to. When you click the teleport scroll it will say who you can teleport to. You are very welcome to add me as a friend and teleport where I am even if you are not joining me but just because you want to go to that scene. I am Majoria in the game. *cheers* I'd be happy to help anytime.

edit
    p.s. I totally do not care if people use me as their teleport to a scene. We should always have more ability to get around if we want it. This I stand by. For pvp it is a bit different perhaps but I am a pve player.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep, add as many people as you can as teleposts :).

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I mark them magically for my RP immersion :D

Time Lord, Cordelayne and claybwagner like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

why are you dying so much? ...i don't mean "level up, noob!" i mean which way are you trying to get through and what's your strategy?

Numa, Time Lord, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think @Alley Oop is correct, you should be able to survive either CP route between these two location most of the time (though now I'm going to try it later with my noob alt just in case it got more difficult recently). My general advice for low level avatars attempting to pass through high level scenes: keep running, do not stop and try to fight anything. I think you're more likely to die in Eastreach than Brightbone because it's harder to avoid getting aggro. I also think that, despite being slightly more circuitous it's quicker to go the Brightbone way because you'll never have to leave the road. You can of course head through the open mountain pass near Aldhaven so as to not pass through any CPs, but here's some tips if you want to get through them:

For Eastreach Gap: although there is a side route each way I would say the Corpions and Wolves are more of a danger to low level avatars (tick damage and speed) than the skeletons (providing no-one has activated the CP). Stick to the path, get the first gate open then engage sprint (double tap) when you see the first skeleton. If you do die (opening the gate is the most likely spot), keep going and res at the Ankh by the gate on the other side of the CP.

For Brightbone Pass: There is really only one enemy - a single skeleton patrolling the path from the North entrance - that you have to worry about (again, no-one has activated the CP). Assuming you've gone in this way (though this should work in reverse), sprint past the lone skelly and get the gate open then observe the skeletons inside the CP area on patrol. If you're really unlucky there'll be one or more patrolling by the gate when you open it, if so run back out of the gate until they tether and wait for a reset. Once the skeletons are patrolling away from the gate follow the wall around to the left (mine the iron node if you want - 500 producer XP) until you get the the cotton bush, run straight across to the opposite wall, follow that wall to the right behind the tree (another thing you can harvest if you time it right with the skeleton patrols) and then keep to the wall until you get to the gate. The path on the other side has no enemies and usually a couple of iron nodes. Again, if you do die, proceed to the Ankh at the opposite gate to the one you came in.

7. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Thanks for all the great responses! @Alley Oop , it's ok I am a noob! lol. I think the problem is I don't know the map well enough to know the fastest and safest routes. Plus, I don't take advantage of the wagons in the towns to auto travel for me. Still learning. One thing I love about this community is the great help everyone provides and so quick. Thanks!

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

There is a way to get around without having to go through those 2 passes, its a hike but you can avoid east reach and brightbone pass altogether. If you keep heading west from adoris, past brightbone pass, over the bridge, keep following the road till you see a place between the mountains you can walk through. There is usually a random encounter between the mountains, but you can just run out right away.

Time Lord, Cordelayne, Rennik and 4 others like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yep. it'll be a plains encounter and those are tough, but if it's a skeleton plains encounter they'll all be clustered together so you can avoid them.

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yep, that's the gap near Aldhaven I mentioned. I'm sure it used to have a name but it wasn't showing up on SotaMap. Personally I'm too tempted by the 'free' producer XP to bother with it often :)

My reminder for all low level avatars: skeleton encounters are free resources with no fighting (as long as you avoid the skeletons).

Numa, Time Lord, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

All good suggestions (and I use most of them). I used to not accept "friend" requests on my friend list from people I didn't know but then I realized that it can take the place of a recall rune. My only gripe is that a lot of folks use "friends only" mode so I can't teleport to them. Solution: make more friends! Feel free to friend me and welcome to New Britannia Clay!

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

13. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

use teleport to a friend please find a video I created on the subject and welcome to the game clabwagner to friend me in game just type in the chat box "/friend scar face" no quote marks.

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Just to add: I went through Brightbone pass with my noob alt last night (less than 200 hp) and survived following the strategy I outlined. I did nearly die from fire tick damage from the patrolling Mage on the path but heals popped up at the right time - if that patroller is an archer you may have to run backwards to avoid crits. I also gained 16 levels in mining :)

15. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Friended all of you. Thanks!!

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

https://www.sotamap.com/?map_id=272

The thing about Eastreach Gap is to just run. If you die in the middle area, both gates have an ankh just inside which kicks you to the other side of the gate when you revive. If nobody has activated the control point ("What's this big red floor? I'm going to step on it and find out!"), there usually aren't enough enemies to cause you trouble. And it doesn't hurt to have your fingers ready over a heal key as you go through.

Bad news, they've hired a Troll to guard that pass, he starts work Thursday.

Numa, Time Lord and claybwagner like this.
  17. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

It seems the thing to do is friend as many people as possible and hope one of them is close to a location you need to go to.
    I am strong enough now I can run through it with no trouble. The whole travel system doesn't seem like a good design for brand new players though.
    Thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Feel free to friend me as well Clay. It never hurts to have a full teleport <ahem> I mean friends list ;)

Cordelayne Valkaris

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

In R43 tomorrow there will be a new way to shorten your travel time... if you go at the right time. The lunar rifts are getting upgraded to have all eight phases go somewhere, and four new destinations added. So you could go to the middle of Brittany Graveyard, then during the Waxing Crescent phase it will take you to Solace Bridge. Each phase lasts 8m45s out of the total 70 minute lunar cycle.

claybwagner, Numa and Time Lord like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In game :) Nystal TimeLord ;)
    Just a post which applies here from another thread :oops:...

claybwagner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.