Sadistic game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witcheypoo, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Hey guys I have an idea! How about an Immortal Lich Goulash and/or a Immortal Adventurer Potion that stops all experience loss for 1hr - it should be part of every elite adventure's survival kit!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Synergy Blaize and Jason_M like this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

The problem i see with this is it would just encourage people to logoff when they die and log back in when the attenuation had finished. If you changed attenuation to "fix" this that it was only online time that counted for your attenuation then this would hit casual player the most. As if they you only play 1 hour per day and die near the end, the next day you play for 1 hour you will still be hit with the attenuation. Or players would just not log off and leave the game afk to time out when they finished to kick them to reduce the attenuation.

Regards
    Spung

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I sympathize with the Devs for having to deal with all the conflicting wishes. I can only speak for myself and say that a harsh death penalty keeps me from taking risks or exploring higher level areas. Since I gain XP very slowly, any reduction in my XP pool is a harsh penalty.

I would be happy with partial relief like Death-Penalty-free Wednesdays. I could use those times to explore and practice fighting mobs which usually end up killing me.

4. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

What about a food dish or potion that is player crafted that you can consume to give you a 1hr buff that stops all experience loss. Then you just need to pop one when you are feeling daring!

Synergy Blaize and Kara Brae like this.
  5. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Why? Why do we need SOMETHING? I haven't seen a valid argument for this. What about the world would break? The only thing I saw that annoyed me was people killing the dragons by just power rezzing with no regard for the death penalty. And that''s just more evidence that its not working anyway. There are way better ways to stop that behavior. I look forward to the repsonses on this.

Just convert all the "X sucks" comments to "it should be replaced with NOTHING" and you should be good to go.

I'm not a death penalty has to be removed guy. I find it hard to believe that its the reason people are quitting but if removing that would really "save the game" I'm all for it.

Arradin likes this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Thank you, @Alley Oop for the explanation. That matches what has been said before. The scale of exp loss that some users are reporting are really shocking. I would ask about the exact math, but, as has been said, it's complicated and actually doing the math probably wouldn't be useful.

What I learned from this thread, though, as @Arradin has previously pointed out, is people have such heated disagreement about this because they have such different expectations.

It seems likely to me that such massive exp loss isn't actually intended to be recouped, by grinding or otherwise. It seems likely that you should have been losing more exp than you would normally be gaining before you have reached such a high level in the first place, but your amount of play exceeded their expectations or gaining experience was too easy compared to how quickly you would lose it.

It might be possible that you're not supposed to have 50+ GM+ skills. In that case, you would benefit most from allowing some of your skills to go down with the large exp hits over time until you have balanced your playstyle (frequency of play/type of activities/risk of death) with the amount of skills you can maintain. The onus would then be on the developers to balance the mechanics so that this natural limiter did not interfere with the players' ability to go out and do what they want to do.

It's all baseless speculation and it does nothing to quell the indignation felt by so many people.

For mid-range players like myself, though, this discussion is cautionary. What (I think) I've learned: (1) Don't grind except to push through plateus in gameplay, (2) balance my build according to my playstyle rather than trying to be everything (in other words, dont try to keep up with the Joneses), (3) and, if I can't solo something/somewhere, await comrades. After all, none of us needs to be higher than AL 100 to participate in Episode 2 narrative, do we? At the current depth of content, many of us are in a race to the top of ... Nothing.

Playing like this will keep me out of ugly situations that so many have reported here, even though I do know that some day, eventually, momentum will take me where they are, and I will no doubt be as bitter as they are now.

We mid-range players then can only enjoy the ride as long as we can until a better solution is divined (whatever or whenever that may be).

Thank you all again for the great variety of perspectives to learn from.

Arradin and ebonmark like this.
  7. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

One point I've seen brought up over and over again in this thread is "If you want to gain back that XP, just go to UT".
    To me, that's a symptom of a broken mechanic. Why is it super fast to get XP in this one place, and so much slower to get XP every place else?
    I mean, if 90% of the high level people are grouping up and farming UT for a million XP in 40 minutes...but every place else, it takes many hours to even collect 1 million XP...that tells me something is wrong.

I've done UT a few times, and I can say that I have found no place else in the game where the XP flows so freely.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There is already a system you could use for it. The current system, there is already huge diminishing returns built in via how much exp soaks up to take skills high.

Change gm to 120, unlock the 5th glyph at 100 and keep the gains as they are on the power curve. It takes alot of work to hit 140s for nominal power gain.

Diminishing returns > decay. Both is what we have now and thats what is punishing.

9. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

xadoor , i already explained why i think something else is needed. We cant have unlimited options and no drawbacks. And port agrees.

I am not talking about everyone being 200 at everything , im talking about people being 120+ in everything , which is MORE than enough for all game contents.

If everyone can do everything in their own, the game would be boring fast. One of the reasons i dont okay wow anymore, they completely killed all kind of uniqueness when everyone can do everything.

BUT , you have to understand that this is only my opinion

10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Everyone being able to be 120 in everything is very very bad for the game if there is no risk involved whatsoever. In my opinion.

Elwyn, Synergy Blaize and xadoor like this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

120 is a number like 100 and 140, whats the problem with 120? The power gain on a single skill 120 vrs 100 by its self is hardly noticible.

120 is a huge xp soak for a xtra pt of damage or 2. A player with 120s everything will be much stronger than a player with 100s but thats also true for a player with all 100s vrs a player with all 80s. A fact of life in a game the more you invest the stronger ull get.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    FrostII and Witcheypoo like this.
  12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You missunderstood or missed my point.
    If everyone can be 120 in all skills then it becomes a solo game where all kind of teamwork is killed.

Why go to crafters if you can craft *everything* yourself?

13. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

There were a few threads about the meaning(!) of Master and Grandmaster in the past.

I really hope this will get addressed, too.

What's wrong with having the title Master with 100. From now (like it is at the moment) others in Party participate from a Master.

Tell one with 120/125 Grandmaster --> + and give it a meaning (may be 5% Power for one GM Skill each skill tree)
    Tell 150 Epic and make a cut. And may be only ONE Skill per Skill Tree can be an Epic one (+10% Power) as another kind of Specialization so every player can be really different.

I wrote a few suggestions above - don't want to reapeat it ;)

Brass Knuckles and Arradin like this.
  14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I have an odd suggestion. I don't know if it has come up before.

How about instead of losing exp upon death, how about draining exp from skills back into the Avatar's pool? They would still have the experience, and there would be no need to grind, but they would need to go exercise their skills to transfer those points from their pool back into their skills. A inconvenience, but they can exercise those skills anywhere, doing something they enjoy rather than by grinding.

And, if that is too bothersome, there already exists a certain potion that would expediate the recovery process. Just a thought.

MANTACO and xadoor like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think there is a real content problem, as well as a punishing decay system.

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

They already got me eating red spiders man. I draw the line at liches, that's just gross !

17. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

YAY! I knew there was a reason i adore you folks so much!
    I am loving the death attenuation idea myself, hope you will consider that or even a slight stats penalty for a debuff, Im sure you will come up with something MUCH better than the xp loss that keeps my guild from going out together and doing crazy fun stuff!
    Witcheypoo

18. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Why is death permanent in the matrix?

Brewton and By Tor like this.
  19. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

I hear what you are saying about too high in everything but its no different than hard capped games where people have capped alts. Consider swapping decks in this game the same as bringging in an alt. How many poeple have more than 1 capped toon in WOW? LOTRO? etc... Portalarium chose to use the card system to limit your strength at any given time(and it seems to work). You can have all skills at 120 but you can't have them all available. And limiting our cap isn't how they should be viewing group content.

Tons of group content dynamics exist. How about Portalarium actually use some of them.
    1) Keep mobs seperate to avoid 1 shots - can't be done by any level solo
    2) Mob mezzes random and they need to be woken up by someone else
    3) 2+ locations need to be protected at the same time
    4) mobs are vulnerable to different damage types at different times
    5) stand on different platforms at the same time

but no, portalarium's idea of group content is to make the dragon bigger and hit harder. That's just hard solo content, its not group content by any real definition. Thats why I"ll eventually wander off. The have solo content nailed from my perspective but they haven't released 1 iota of group content yet. I patiently wait.

Here is a unique idea....Perhaps have hard modes where you can only use 5 card desks. Lets leverage the card system to make some interesting content. Perhaps you need to kill something using only 1 skill tree per toon. Or maye no heavy armore skills allowed....who knows but Portalarium needs to actaully do something other force us into PvP.

How abut starting with some 2 man, 3 man, 6 man content? limit the number of people allowed in an instance and see what you can come up with.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Maybe this is a mis-perception

Maybe what were supposed to do is face less challenging foes to reduce risk of dying (people have heard me rant forever in here about "the skill of not-dying", so I wont do that here now, but I will say that since the death penalty was introduced in this game, Ive become an expert at not-dying).

Maybe we're supposed to also do other things, like crafting, making books, or forming marching bands. Im sure there are way more social features to be added in this game down the road.

Maybe we're supposed to group together when tougher challenges are getting the best of us.

Maybe we're not supposed to skyrocket to max level and achieve some sort of "endgame". Maybe the "tax" is healthy for the community and game culture, in the long term.

Or maybe we're not supposed to do anything at all except whatever we find fun :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.