Sadistic game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witcheypoo, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I like death decay... it makes me think. Enough mindless MMOs out there as it is.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll Agree with Xadoor though that "Puzzle Style" Bosses would add to the option of "Group Content". Why can't we have fun things like that? I Love doing bosses or just zones that would require you to split up, so that while 1 would do something, the others would do something else, and both parts were required to get anywhere. What I hate about bosses in this game is that it isnt about toughing out the boss fight with heals and dps until it is dead, some bosses (like some dragons) only require you to have a disposable ally that can grab aggro, survive as long as possible, rez, rinse and repeat. My favorite boss type is Trolls because they actually have a decent mechanic for a solo boss : Dodge the hits (with a skill based maneuver) and you will be fine, Dark Souls style. There should be more solo bosses with this type of mechanic (Hide behind pillars, stand in a specific spot, dodge the hit with X mechanic), and then actual group bosses with group mechanics (Stand on both platforms, Wake up your ally, stuff like that).

As for the main topic. I might not be as high as most of you, (only lvl 94) but I still dont feel like the death penalty is that harsh. Games need a death penalty because otherwise death is meaningless, and you dont need to plan ahead (Still today, UO forces you to pick up your corpse, Runescape does the same thing, BDO makes your gear actually lose upgrades some times). This game needs one. Hey if you think the exp loss is too harsh, fine, But suggest something else. Make death meaningful in some way. Zones in this game are far too small for UO/Runescape style death, and gear caan't lose upgrades because upgrading it back up would be impossible, so the game needs something else (Hey how about respawn at the nearest NPC town :O that would make people angry I bet). Nahh, in all seriousness, make death meaningful in some way, and make group content actual GROUP content, and then we might reach a state where people will be less unhappy about grinding their asses off to reach stupid levels to be able to do everything alone. I think we have enough solo content.

Jason_M and Arradin like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Eventually we'll be a MOBA.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

First, thank you @Chris for letting us know you're paying attention to this topic.

About a month and a half ago (Aug 3rd) during the R56 Livestream, you made the following statement toward the end:

"There's a lot of thinking going on - on the current death penalty.... and that there may be some great massive change. I can't go into too much right now, but I do have a plan for it..."

To which @DarkStarr commented: "That sounds very exciting... I would buy that for a DOLLAR"

The less than a minute clip is below.

That was a month and a half ago.

So, I wonder what DS had in mind when he so coyly said "I would buy that for a DOLLAR".

If you're - @DarkStarr - considering an Obsidian Potion to add to our current Obs. Pots - as a one week "reprieve" from all death penalty's - then I would say fine, just do it.

It would add an additional 4 Coto purchases in game or in the store every month from most all of us, and help finance this game that we all want so much to succeed.

Stop the hesitation.......... keep the vast majority of us Avatars who despise this one aspect of the game playing, and bring back a bunch of people who left because of it.

Whatever you've decided you need to do to get rid of decay, please....... JUST DO IT.

5. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

I'll add a dollar...do I hear a 3rd? Like that post if you'd add a dollar!!

Gamician and FrostII like this.
  6. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I'll add a dollar and raise a dollar for a whole month if they would just get rid of it. I'm tired of the promises of something is going to be done about it and then it just gets swept under the rug again. again, again and again. I'm tired of smug, snickering responses to this issue that is to me the most serious error in this game that needs to be corrected. It is not funny!!!! You want to waste someones time go waste your own. I saw the telethon and I just took it as another snickering, laugh at the community, where again nothing was going to get done. Now @Chris comes on this forum topic and says something is going to be done. I'll believe that when I see it. It has been 6 weeks if @FrostII Calculations are correct and still nothing has been done. I quit posting months ago because of these out right promises never kept. If @DarkStarr, @Chris , @Lord British, you have no intention of doing something about this issue then just say so and quit making this promise that never seems to be kept.

Greyfox, Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  7. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

Why not keep the xp loss but on death you leave your tombstone like in pvp (except no one can loot for say x length of time) and when you personally retrieve your tombstone you’re rewarded 50% of the xp lost back ? And after the personal timer expires and another player loots it they retrieve 25% of the xp as a thanks for cleaning up the floor reward (Maybe when you hover over the tombstone it will say XX:XX time remaining) ;p If no one claims it after X time then it evaporates?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Why not ?
    Because that death punishment would remove almost as much of the incentive to adventure as our current decay does, and those of us who've been waiting for decay to be removed would simply leave and the game would die a quick death.
    That's why not.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Consider having to get your body on a timer and having wandering healers, oops we have ankhs ;). It is more difficult to do in a dungeon but on open areas we could go back to our body and having it show on the map. Make it so you can summon your body but then you would get the decay effect with some performance loss like less strength, focus, etc for a few moments. Resurrection from another player or a wandering healer could be a way to get back to complete health stats. Finding your body would be next. I think we want options and choices we can make. It's not that we just want it all given to us and not to have to think about what we are doing.

The game Project Gorgon rewards you for dying. It is an achievement. They even have skills to research how bodies died. But for this game why to not want to die is a consideration or is it? It is our fantasy. How do we want it to be and why?

Just some thoughts. ;)

Reason to explore achievements should definitely be put in game imo. See my link below ;)

Hmmm perhaps reason to not die achievements. ????

calkano (PAX) and Witcheypoo like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Not trying to be obtuse here Rufus, but what is a MOBA?

11. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Multiplayer online battle arena instant gratification game....

Arradin likes this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), also known as action real-time strategy (ARTS), is a subgenre of strategy video games that originated as a subgenre of real-time strategy, in which a player controls a single character in a team who compete versus another team of players.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

There need to be some risk in a risk vs reward scenario. Someone compared sota to wow when it came to wow not having any death penalty, which is correct, but it also doesnt have rewards for the same situation ( Raiding orgrimmar, for example )

There need to be some risk, Period. No argument. And no " but it throws people off from adventuring " is not a valid argument. I like exploring too, but it doesnt mean i would venture into the deepest parts of the dragon cave in Ultima Online, because i would risk losing my items.

So, once again, " just remove it " is not an option, there need to be something that replace it - and until that is figured out, nothing will happen no matter how much you scream

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

How long before someone complains about the Resurrection Timer as too onerous a penalty to be borne?

15. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Can I complain about closed doors and other places with no ankhs? ;)

Elwyn, Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  16. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

This is just not true. At the very least its an argument. Nobody has posted anything compelling me to believe that the death penalty needs to be replaced by anything. I'm also not really believing that a significant number of people are quitting over it. I can't imagine quitting cause of it but more than a few claim it so I guess its possible.

I think Chris is just taking his time to realize that the right thing to do is to remove it and replace with either nothing or something super trivial(to save face as he's on record defending it).

And for the record the tombstone idea sees fraught with peril. People don't play PvP cause they are scared to lose gear(and other reasons). Adding in more ways to lose gear should be viewed as a non-starter.

Scanphor and Witcheypoo like this.
  17. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

This all seems like a mess =(

18. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I totally respect your opinion, You are not alone to have it. But completely removing the risk in this game will, in my opinion, scare more people away than any death penatly will do.

Anywwya, we ( you and me ) are just going in circles here. I have faith in that Port will look at the long term health and cater to MY desire for some risk vs reward.

19. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Hello all,
    I am a new player who has recently started playing this game. I have played a ton of MMOs throughout the years; UO, Everquest, Asheron's Call, WoW, FFXI and FFXIV, Swtor, many more. I haven't played an MMO for a long time just becuase they have become too cookiecutter and easy, where it just becomes a steady easy raid progression grind or an instant gratification purchase spree. I honestly missed the days of the feeling of risk and reward of everquest where if you died you lost so much that it forced you to make good relationships and learn how to work as a team.
    Then I saw this game, a game that was a combination of an interesting skill based system, and a real death penalty and I decided to give it a go, and here I am 2 months later at AL 94 and it's great. This is the niche game I was looking for.
    Now, there are many things wrong with this game, the bugs that cause people to die, the buggy quest system, tooltips that don't work properly, loot, lack of endgame content that works and rewards you for teamwork, balance issues. But the death penalty is not one of them, it is one of the few things that seperates this from the herd of other games. It forces people to think, to get engaged with the game, and yes sometimes it forces you to not do dangerous things if you don't know if you can do it. But it's very slight, if you are in the top 1-2% of players it is not slight, but honestly you are far outside the soft cap and it's still not going to cause you to lose skills unless you are very foolish, which you clearly are not. For the vast majority of high level players you can max out your deaths on an extreme activity and then get it all back in a quick UT run.
    My point is that the death penalty is one of the few things that sets this game apart from others, and it was very high on the list of reasons why I decided to try another MMO after 5 or 6 years.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.