1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own post, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited.

Activities that involve real dollar exchanges between players if the goods involved cannot be delivered to the customer immediately are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. All exchanges of virtual good for real dollars are to be confined to this part of the forum. No in-game or chat based real dollar exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Portalarium reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

If your Account has redeemed a Steam Key or was purchased through Steam, you cannot reduce your pledge to an unplayable state. Therefore, a Steam purchased/linked account must retain a minimum $40 value.

Also, to learn about our Trusted Trader program, please see this thread in the Marketplace forums.

Updated 2017.06.8, EULA Updated on 2017.02.01 to cover exploits and trading of items from exploits.

Sales of Virtual Items for Real Currency Policy

Discussion in 'Player Marketplace' started by DarkStarr, Sep 8, 2016.

1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greeting Avatars,

As many of you are aware for a very long time we have supported the sale of virtual goods like Pledges, Pledge Rewards, Add On Store Items, etc. via our Player Marketplace subforum. Our reasoning is that this activity will occur no matter what our position on it is so we feel that it is better to have it in a place where we and the community can see it easily.

Even though we support these activities we understand that they can threaten the suspension of disbelief we all work very hard to maintain around the game world we have built together. To that end we must insist that, for now, all Real Currency sales happen in the Player Marketplace only and never be mentioned inside the game nor in any other part of the Forums.

The current rules for those transactions are the following:

• Player Marketplace Only: All sales involving Real Currency (USD, Euros, Store Credits, etc.) can only be discussed, advertised, etc. in the Player Marketplace subforum.
    • Bans for Out of Marketplace Posts: Any mention, post, information, text, advertising, etc. of any kind of a sale that refers to Real Currency in Shroud of the Avatar official locations outside of the Player Marketplace (i.e. the main forums, Shroud Discord chat, Shroud Facebook Page, inside the game) is against the rules. The game is especially off limits for these kinds of messages (except for the final resolution of the sale which has to happen in the game via secure trade and will of course necessitate some in game communication). Offenders will receive a warning. Repeated offenses will result in bans, up to and including permanent bans across multiple accounts.
    • All Virtual Items Allowed: Sales for Real Currency can include any virtual goods including Add On Store items, Pledge Rewards, and virtual currency (gold).
    • Portalarium Not Liable: Portalarium is not liable for any of these transactions. They are solely between the buyer and seller.

We understand that the inclusion of gold as one of the virtual goods that can be bought and sold will cause some of you concern but we believe that in the end it is just another virtual good like the others. I would like to address the main concerns we have seen.

• Inflation: As you have seen we have been monitoring VERY carefully the influx of gold into the economy and we do not believe the sales of gold will increase the likelihood of inflation anymore than any other factors.
    • Exploits: All the rules of enforcement related to exploits will of course still apply. As you have seen we are very aggressive about finding exploits and enforcing punishment of users that abuse them.
    • Competition for Resources: With our multiple modes of play you are almost guaranteed to never be competing with someone “farming” for gold because they will most likely be in Single Player Online mode.
    • Intrusion: As you can see by the above rules we will aggressively repel any intrusion into the game or into the main forums of real currency transactions. We feel VERY strongly about keeping the sanctity of our world intact.

If you see any activities occurring that go against these rules, please do not mention them or persons involved in public areas. For in-game occurrences, you can report them by right-clicking on the offending player and selecting the “Report Player” or “Report Content” options and choose “Other” from the context menu. Alternatively, you may use the /reportcontent or /reportplayer commands in the chat window.

UPDATE: Added Store Credits to list of example "Real Currencies"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos Avatar

If an external website lists virtual items for Real Currency, how will that be handled? Do they have a time period to remove that information from their websites before they face bans?

Also, if a particular guild, organization or business has repeat offenses, will that be cause for bans of all accounts related to that guild, organization, or business? Or are you only talking about an individual person?

Bodhbh Dearg, Acred, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think it really refers to 'official' channels and not third party websites. In other words you cant go around spamming in game, on the official facebook, official discord or any other official area outside of the marketplace.

4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We have no policy against listing items on external websites.

5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Do not see this as enforceable. If a place like eBay forbids it, you would have to go to eBay to report it. This is why they are listing what they can patrol and enforce.

6. Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Thank you for clarifying. I was confused by the language in the OP.

Acred likes this.
  7. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

thanks for this really helps clear things up for me and others.

rild likes this.
  8. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Is it safe to assume this policy does not apply to real world transactions with Portalarium? I would assume you wouldn't get warned for mentioning the cost of items in the store.

Acred and rild like this.
  9. Selene

Selene Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Just so it is abundantly clear. This means no mention or linking of marketplace listings for RMT in the #trade channel in discord either?

Acred, Hazard, moko and 5 others like this.
  10. Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Also, this question wasn't answered, it was not intended to be related to external websites. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

I'm trying to ask if a guild, organization or business is a repeat offender of these rules will you take action against the entire guild, organization, or business? The reason I ask is because it's common in other games for some guilds, businesses, or organizations to break rules (like exploiting) and then throw individual members under the bus and pretend as if it's not some kind of systemic, cultural, or inherent understanding between all members that as long as you don't get caught anything goes.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  11. Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Or Noble Chat?

Acred and smack like this.
  12. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

What about Steam Discussions?

smack likes this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

or party/guild/whisper?

I am okay with local/zone/nobles be free of RMT spam, but I would like option to discuss some things in game for convenience with my friends.

What about PMs on the forums?

Acred and smack like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Remember, Lum knows all the secrets you whisper to all his NPCs.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am reminded of WoW friend/party requests followed by gold advertising. Can the ban please include any unsolicited advertising involving RMT please?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Lord Bankee, Birne Gilmore and smack like this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm counting on it.... muahahahahahahahah

Ember and smack like this.
  17. Berek

Berek Senior Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

Consider Steam forums the same level of enforcement for all Community Rules & Guidelines, and these policies, as the official forums.

Bodhbh Dearg, Acred, Royou and 3 others like this.
  18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

And the Kickstarter forums?

smack likes this.
  19. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Think its pretty clear that it should stay in the marketplace and away from anyone that doesnt want to hear it. You go to the marketplace, you are in the market. Anywhere else is a no go. Doesn't seem that complicated. Kinda like consensual PvP.

20. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Maybe I am confused, but that doesn't seem to me to answer if someone can post a sale of virtual items for RL currency on the Steam Discussions. The listed rules say only the Marketplace official webpage forum section only.