1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Salvaging wish / dream.. I might be smoking something, but I can at least ask

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Pifester, Jun 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

OK, salvaging is a hit or miss prospect, and if you create something with rare to salvage components, how about giving us something that lets us salvage a items with at least a 100% chance of getting 1 particular part back.

We (the crafter) made it, we should know enough about the item to get it apart successfully.

I'm looking at stuff like Savage handles, Heavy Halberd heads, Mossy handles, etc. It would be nice if we could salvage something we made, and get 1 item back as a guarantee.

Maybe a 1 shot coto potion, or ... heaven forbid....a salvaging table that lets you salvage...cough...everything on it instead of going table to table...with a option to remove specific components if you are able to.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So basically what you are asking is, to use an example:

You craft 10 items with a Mossy Handle. You then add gems, Masterwork Enchant etc... each one and then find maybe 1 item that is then (maybe) decent.
    You then salvage the other 9 items, and want 9 Mossy Handles back.... when salvaging them?

Which would then basically make acquiring a Mossy Handle... for the most part, irrelevant (you just get them back).

Perhaps, possibly, your actual question might be, why are rare Crafting Components that are very hard to find when salvaging items, so hard to find?

3. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Yep... spending at minimum 150 gold ingots, 150 silver ingots, and 10 gems that can cost a obscene amount, just to hope I get maybe a semi decent item. So that 1 item just cost me maybe 60-70k gold for silver ingots, and another 75 to 85k for the gold ingots. Gems - I would only gem the one decent item, so not losing out there. The handle...not sure on prices of them, since I havnt bought any in a while, so lets say....100k.

A 10 run of massy handled somethings will run you 1 mil for the handles, the head of the item is going to run you some ingots for whatever you make, 150k ish for enchant/MW's, and whatever gem you use is going to cost something. You just blew something in the area of maybe 1.5 - 2 mill gold in resources....for ONE item

Having 1 semi decent item from a batch of 10...if lucky. But, you are not ever going to see even remotely close to the resources you spent in return.

Thats why whenever anyone asks me: "Why don't you have a vendor" Because IMO, its not worth it. You bring me the resources, I'll craft you the items, I'll even let you watch me craft it on discord so you can pick the effects (enchanting, carpentry, blacksmithing and tailoring masterwork is all at 170. - so I get a guaranteed first/second effect, ). If it goes good - great, just tip me what you think my time is worth. If it sucks - now you know why I don't have a vendor.

If I could get at least 1 component piece back, I would do a LOT more crafting, and maybe actually look at selling something. You better believe I would be out killing torq dahl, in the hopes that I get stuff to salvage, and ya, I might start out with 10 mossy handles, but I would eventually have 10 decent items that just ran me 1500 or so silver/gold ingots, and 10 or so gems (only putting a get on whatever is worth it) I just blew in excess of 10-15 mill gold in resources for....10 decent items that may or may not let me break even(going off the cost of 1 item x 10). Not a lot of crafters have that kind of resources at their disposal.

Ya, I think its worth it. I would actually do some crafting of higher end items, and higher end components for once. I have a TON of flipping unicorn horns, hair is a pain, but both of those are fairly repeatable - as long as you don't care about your virtues.

Maybe a 100% is too high, maybe 100% return on at least 1 of the components. Most items take at least 2 or more components, so it would be down to a coin flip on if you got the "good" part.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  4. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I agree with more control over what we get from salvaging generally. Example: most times I would happily sacrifice the wood scrap for a slightly increased chance of an elven bowstring, even if it means I risk getting nothing. And I would prefer fabric scraps to another 100 ragged cloth patterns.

I think there should still be a chance of failure, no guaranteed return, exercising this control should mean sacrificing something versus uncontrolled salvaging. Example: if you normally would have 5% chance to recover a mossy handle, then a "targeted salvage" might raise your chance to 10% but every failure gives you nothing. Maybe require a handful of COTOs for each targeted attempt as well. Raising from 5% to 100% would break the whole system, there needs to be a meaningful choice where high reward comes with high risk.

Stealch, FBohler and Adam Crow like this.
  5. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

What about a salvaging skill that would allow you to roll for a chance to get back scrap, pattern, or components? You could still set the % based on the rareity of an item.
    Like add a Salvage Mastery.
    vj

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If it were up to me I would add a salvaging table that allows you to salvage all the different types of items. It would save me so much time if you could just throw everything on it and and even better if there was a way you could just shut off patterns completely without manipulating your skill level.

Then if you wanted to add cotos to each salvage attempt, it would give you a big increase to salvaging a component. Not a jump from 5% to 10% tho, I wouldn't pay for that. It would have to be at least 25%-50% for me to even consider it, and honestly I don't think 100% would break the system we have at all. All items have at least 2 components, so if you can only get back 1 component (i mean 1 type of component- so you could get back multiple sheets etc), at best with 100% it's still a 50/50 chance you get the one(s) you want.

Probably too complicated, but maybe adding 1 coto gives you a 10% chance and each additional coto increases that chance so that 10 cotos is 100%. That way the player could decide how many cotos they want to burn on a specific item. So you might use 1 or 2 for certain things, but then 10 for a Mossy or something else you really want back.

I think you could make a pretty strong argument that the system we currently have is pretty broken. @Pifester made some great points above and I agree with just about everything they had to say about the topic.

At 100% if we're re-rolling those very hard to find items like Mossy handles, players will start burning through even more materials crafting, (big gold sink) so it could help the economy. And it would cost cotos to do it, so you'd assume that would also help the game's revenue. Just my 2 cents.

Eveara, Vaentorian and Pifester like this.
  7. Stealch

Stealch Avatar

Yeah, good ideas above! I will be very glad if i could turn off any chance to get pattern from common items to get only scraps. Salvaging skills need to be managed.

8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I believe that patterns, especially of the lower grade items, are the worst thing I get. Not really worth the effort of selling them back to the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.