Salvaging

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Senjut, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

There've been some changes to crafting recently that are awesome, and more are coming soon. One thing I really would like to see changed is salvaging. It was cool getting patterns and Pine Long Bowstaves at first. Now it's just a lot of junk I throw into chests that keeps piling higher and higher.

What would you all think if there was a "Salvaging Mode" where you could designate whether you wanted these sort of things or you are just salvaging for scrap? That seems like a relatively easy change we could ask for. Your current mode would designate whether there is anything in the salvage table other than wood/metal scrap (yes/no).

If not that, then maybe at least make some of these salvaged items salvageable themselves, like the bowstaves and such. I will never use all of these bowstaves, lol.

Thoughts?

P.S. Tried to search whether this was posted somewhere already but didn't find anything.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why a checkbox, why not an extra tool added to a 'Salvage for Pattern' recipe? Asking as someone who hasn't really done any salvaging.

Senjut likes this.
  5. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

To be honest, I would take anything I could get. It's not just the patterns though...it's also the Copper Hilts, and the blades and the bowstaves, etc. I have piles of them, more than I will ever need (and they don't sell). But honestly I'd take whatever solution Port would be willing to support, and an on/off switch that just removes things from the possible salvage outcomes table seems like it is probably easiest. But maybe it isn't; maybe just making all of these things (patterns, hilts, blades, etc) re-salvageable for the original scrap is...dunno.

Just as an example, I have 219 Elven Woodwind Long Bow patterns...and I scrapped all but 10 of what I had a few months ago. The difference in value of the wood scrap I would have gotten vs the vendor value of these patterns is pretty astounding; being GM at salvaging is costing me a lot of money.

P.S. I probably do more salvaging than a lot of people...I use a price cutoff particular to the vendor price range of different items to decide what to vendor and what to salvage. It works pretty well since metal and wood scrap sells pretty readily to other players. As an example, any Long Bow worth 40g or more I vendor, any 39g or less I scrap. This is just based on the average amount of wood scrap I get from Long Bows.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would also like to salvage patterns. I would rather get the resources than a zillion rusty or other patterns. One is fine, but then we keep getting them, in fact almost everyone gets them.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think maybe the main objection is someone would be PO'd if they salvaged the object without the pattern by mistake. Of course, they could exclude eternal patterns from whatever mechanic they put in just for safety, or if they do a Salvage for Pattern method, disallow regular Salvage for items with eternal patterns, requiring you to do the Salvage for Pattern.

I doubt one method would be much more difficult to implement than another, though.

My perspective is though that we're getting a lot of things put in the game now that seem to have no connection to RP. There's patterns, for one, that seemingly drop out of salvaged objects, and essences, which seemingly drop out of defeated enemies. For essences, I'd imagine something like a soul gem system like we see in the Elder Scrolls games.

For patterns, I don't know; the pattern game object is paper based, so I'm guessing we can assume its some type of technical drawing, so maybe some tool like a pantograph, caliper, or protractor angle finder (already in the game), to commit the design to paper.

8. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The easiest way is, to lower the chance to get a pattern. They raised it somewhat over the top, some releases ago.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it needed to be a bit higher than it was, but it's waaaay too high now.

10. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

If you received the pattern and materials then that would be ideal. I would imagine that the materials from breaking down a weapon would still be there and not disintegrate. ^^

11. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Not sure the pattern rate is too high per se. It's just some items with patterns are common, but others aren't.

Reducing the pattern chance on gambeson armour would hurt a lot, as it is a quite rare drop. Elven mage staffs and other things though you get by the 100s. This is the imbalance.

So I prefer an option that allows us to choose whether we want a chance of patterns or not. Salvaging the pattern back to materials would also be an answer, but I think the amount of scrap you get is partly determined by durability. Or at least I hope it is as vendor price is, so salvage should be. Once the item is converted into a pattern that data is lost...

Regards
    Spung

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I would be all for patterns being a nice ADDITIONAL item you get from salvaging, but unfortunately, that's not how it works.
    You get EITHER scraps OR pattern OR special item, not some combination thereof. Quite honestly receiving a combination of items from salvaging an item SHOULD be how it works, with skill level adding to what you can get out of any salvaging attempt rather than adding mutually exclusive results, if they didn't appear to be so set upon punishing you for playing the game.

Also, scraps seem to have no apparent correlation to durability, as I have salvaged like items with like durability and received anything from 1 to x scrap, x being whatever is the max for that item.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I wonder if the devs really thought this through at all. Nobody scraps a hundred elf bows looking for a hundred elf bow patterns. Once you've got one or two patterns, if you even care about them at all, you're pretty much good. But you're more likely scrapping that many bows looking for strings. If an increase in patterns translates to a decrease in strings, and I have to choose, I'd rather go back to stupidly low chances of getting patterns. Ideally, though, patterns would be on top of the normal scrap yields/chance for components. But even in that glorious probably-will-never-happen scenario, I'd still like the pattern chance reduced a bit.

But i'm sure I typed all that for no reason. I really don't think the devs take the time (at least, those authorized to respond about such things) to read any of our posts. While I would never be so crass as to suggest the devs don't play their own game (anybody else miss Kor being part of the team?) I do strongly believe none of them play it the way we do.

14. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Can patterns be vendored?

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

yup... usually for about 8 gp per. But, they take the place of a possibly much more lucrative scrap or whole salvage item result.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is there a pattern tag match merchant?

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.