Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scene Exit options

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by marthos, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marthos

marthos Avatar

I would like to see an option when you leave a scene to either go to the World Map, or go directly to the next scene in the direction of the exit. This would allow people who want to avoid using the world map to travel from Owl's Head to Braemar through a series of scenes instead.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This would mean instant travel across many miles. There are no more "random scenes" on every hex. So you would basically travel from Kingsport to the Kingsroad in an instant whereas yould have to walk there on the overland map to bridge the miles long gap between the locations.

Themo Lock and redfish like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would also be cutting out a large amount of content, when we see the map develop some more. The map will have things like merchant carvans, gypsy caravans, etc. travelling the road. There'll also be random encounters like: you come across a merchant caravan being attacked by skeletons.

4. marthos

marthos Avatar

Lord_Darkmoon, this wouldn't be a shortcut at all. Walking through all the scenes between Owls Head and Braemar, for instance, would take much longer than for me to travel across the overland map. There might be some instances where the scenes next to each other are both really small and maybe it would be quicker, but overall I think this would be a way to increase travel time to "stop and smell the roses" of every meter of content the devs created between here and there.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You want to bypass the overland which has content, sorry but NO.:cool:

Aand yes it would be a HUGE shortcut.:p

Especially since we are only seeing about 10% of the world, and that is just for the first episode :):rolleyes:

And lastly which direction do you exit instance from some only have one exit, soo you would always have to go in that direction,o_O nope because your nest answer is to pick the direction making it even more of an avoidance of the overland :eek:

6. Athens

Athens Avatar

I am not sure if they are planing to cover the whole world map in scenes (maybe they are and I have no idea what I am talking about). But as of right now, it would allow you to make huge jumps from location to location while bypassing random encounters and other future features of the world map. Part of the fun with the world map is the excitement of random encounters. All of that can be skipped when traveling by instance.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I have proposed similar things as well, even when we had a pure scene-per-hex map. There's absolutely nothing stopping the devs from doing this technically. It just requires them to create a scene connection map and modify scenes so they have the appropriate entry/exit points in each direction of travel.

In fact, they are going to force you into scenes from the overworld, like crossing a bridge or passing through a control point. Not to mention the random encounters.

Furthermore, the entire underworld catacombs is entirely scene-to-scene travel. There is no "underworld" map you travel on. And speaking of shortcuts....you can go from the Owl's Head sewers to the Ravensmoor dungeon in one step. Top of the map to bottom of the map with one scene transition. But on the overworld, we would have Ravensmoor -> Braemar -> South Valeway -> Kingsroad -> North Valeway -> Owl's Head.

So the request for bypassing the overworld is logical, is supported by the tech, and has precedent via the catacombs.

Destroying Angel, marthos and mike11 like this.
  8. mike11

mike11 Avatar

cant agree more. this MUST occur. Its hard to fathom why this isnt implemented already.. but then most of the travel design so far has had almost zero design put into it.

I want to see city districts as well.

Also I want to be able to enter cities via different routes.

Room to improve in this aspect.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

9. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

This is another one of those subjects where some people insist on being their brother's keepers. Why should anyone care how much, if any, "content" anyone else skips or doesn't skip? I really don't understand that. Or those who think something is fun, that someone else doesn't think is fun, has to insist on shoving the "content" down everyone else's throats.

For myself, I have never liked even the concept of the overhead map. But it's there and nothing we can do about it. Then to make it even worse, now you can get sucked into encounters against your wishes when you're just trying to go about your business and get from point A to point B and not in the mood, or ill prepared, for a fight. I seem to remember at one time, way back when, that RG or one of the other devs said something about being able to be a pure crafter and never have to lift a weapon if you choose. That seems rather unlikely now, but that's another subject, lol.

That being said, I see no reason why people who would like to experience all the hexes, which includes "content" btw, between point A and point B via the hexes and not the map, shouldn't be able to. I'm not one of those people, and would prefer to just get where I'm going without a bunch of time sinks hindering me, but for those who want it, why not? How are they skipping content, and if they are, why does anyone else care how they play? I know I sure don't. It won't affect me in the least and really shouldn't be anyone else's business. If it's technically feasible, I think it would be great to add.

10. marthos

marthos Avatar

Using the overland map allows you skip far more content as you don't have to enter each scene between you and your destination.

As for it being a shortcut, I'll gladly race anyone from Owl's Head to Braemar. I'll use the overland map and the other racer has to use the "shortcut" of entering and running to the opposite side of every single scene along the way.

11. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

random encounters.... those could occur with out an overland map. most of them will be packs of monsters. that is what we see in most instances anyway. caravans? those could randomly appear in an instance.

when the overland map is done, we will be able to see the encounters roving and will in most cases be able to avoid them.

could someone please explain how this suggestion would be a shortcut across the map or deprive anyone from content?

marthos, Noctiflora and Tahru like this.
  12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

oh and by the by, the term gypsy is considered offensive to most Romanis. It would be wise if they didn't use that term in the content of SotA.

13. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I like the overland map and it makes me nostalgic but this is not 1990, At the moment we are all part of a game dev and are adding our input, But at the end of the day when a game loads and then I have to load again to get to the next area then I may well just get fed up with this chore and go on to my next game in my steam list, I want this game to be a big success but this double load problem makes me think people may not stay around to long, especially as there are so many mmo on the horizon, Perhaps the engine could be made to load assets from all the immediate areas you are near? so that when you choose to go into a hex map a lot of the content is already in your ram etc?

Lord-Galiwyn and Tahru like this.
  14. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Not necessarily. You can easily make it so that there's a chance for a "random scene" every time you chose to "instantly" travel from one map to another. Other than that, I don't see a problem with what you're saying. You don't want to instantly travel? Then don't use the option.

You're right: you are making the choice to avoid that large amount of content but frankly I could see times where I'd like that option: if I'm simply going to a town to meet up with a person, and I'm in an adjacent map, I wouldn't mind being able to skip the overworld map. There are other times where I'd chose to be on the overworld map-especially if I wanted to skip scenes to get somewhere.

Budner and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.