Scene overcrowding and how it will be handled?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deathadder, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Right now with the current state of SotA (and this does not appear to change due to the engineering of game), when you have 5 or more players in a scene and they are not partied; a scene becomes crowded and now with what seems spawn times have been altered in some scenes its causing a lot of idle time in gaining XP or trying to farm mats, for an already big uphill climb for crafting.

So the million dollar question is this: when/if we get an influx of new players when release hits, how is it going to be handled when we already can congest a scene? Expecting players to disperse across multiple scenes would be fine, if corresponding level scenes would/could offer the same thing but we don't have that.

Is the thought that after a instance hits a maximum number of players is spawns the aonther instance of that scene for the next set of players till that limit is reached?

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's what friends and single player modes are for. You can have any scene to yourself, anytime you want.

Womby, Stundorn and fonsvitae like this.
  3. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Thats true, but you can't expect people to follow that path, those are options.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

You really don't want to design the game to encourage players to doing everything in SPO/FPO, because then they'll default be in those modes when they leave a scene and cities and the map will be emptier. Its a little better now that you can do zone switching without logging out, but many won't, and you don't want to make players go through all that.

Basic point here is that the game would be best if it was designed so players could stay in MPO and never leave, and still not deal with issues of overcrowding.

I brought this issue up when the server first went persistent. At that time there was a lot of overcrowding in beginner scenes like East Perennial Trail. Matchmaking should depend on a lot of factors, including the size of the scene; so if you're in a small scene, you meet up with players less than in a big scene. And I think the devs should not have the philosophy to force matchmaking every time its possible, and its okay to just give a % chance of meeting someone, and a % chance of just leaving the player alone.

By the way, if other players are in a scene, it will still lower the spawn rate for you even in SPO. Next time spawns are going slow for you, log on to MPO and you will most likely find other players in that scene. The big problem with overcrowding in scenes though isn't even lowered spawn rate, its that people are bumping into each other and it can get annoying.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

and your option is . . . if you feel the scene is overcrowded you can open the options menu and set you game to SPO or FO and the game will reload without the crowd.

They implemented it in R41 so you do not even have to close the game.

"Problem" solved

Womby, Stundorn and Adam Crow like this.
  6. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Thats solving the problem for those people willing to go that route but I do not believe you can expect everyone to go that route as I would imagine a large portion of people will want to stay in multiplayer.

Snikorts likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Every scenes is an instance (including Novia). When a certain number of people enter it, a new instance is spawned.

Stundorn and Innascual Inch like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I believe most people would like to stay in MPO all the time, see a lot of people in cities and some on the map, and run into people occasionally in the wild while hunting (because that's fun) but not all the time and not too many in one scene (because that's not fun).

The game should be designed for that IMO.

9. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

I agree @redfish for shear fact that the multiplayer aspect will most likely draw more players and is what they seem to banking on drawing in the most revenue.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Deathadder,

Yes, and I'd bring up that's there is a lot of complaining by players that they don't see enough of other people on the map or in cities, so there's a push for a LFG feature which is scheduled for some close release. But the only reason you don't see a lot of players is because they're in SPO/FPO to avoid scene overcrowding!

If people felt they could stay in MPO, then you'd just easily meet people up on the map in the region, hanging around the place they want to hunt waiting for a party. Add to that a possible noticeboard system for adverts so you could reach people in a different region, and a camping system, and that would probably be enough. But right now people are all in SPO/FPO when they go in scenes and when they go out. In the end, crowding people into scenes is counter-productive for helping Multiplayer.

I think a lot of people intuitively know this, and I've seen suggestions for automatic switch from SPO to MPO when you leave a scene. But its missing the point too... because people *do* want to meet others in scenes, just not to the point that it becomes unfun. The game just needs to provide the sweet spot in the middle.

Snikorts and Deathadder like this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Doesnt it automatically generate another version of the instance for the next batch, once exceeding the limit?

And arn't each scenes adjusted for this cap based on size? (if a scene has 10 people in it and thats 10/10 of the intended..) when i enter im now 1/10 .. and next 9 people join where im at. Is that not how it currently works?

That being said, some scenes are smaller and intended to be smaller.. while others (think blood bay) can easily support 45-50 people comfortably.

So .. wheres the issue? (incase im not fully understanding)

Stundorn and Adam Crow like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I don't get the argument to be honest. If someone wants to have the zone to themselves they can. If they are upset there are too many ppl in the zone, why wouldn't they switch?

Seems like you guys are creating a problem that doesn't actually exist. If the zone is too crowded but you still want some interaction, send out a message to a friend and run the scene with them.

This isn't a regular MMO. There are options.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I disagree. The game doesn't need to find a sweet spot. The player does, and we're all different.

Stundorn and fonsvitae like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Then most people won't get what they want.

If most people want what I described above -- in the post you're responding to -- and the devs don't offer that, then they'll be out of luck.

15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Well that's an unscripted PVP killer if I ever heard of one.

fonsvitae likes this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's life. I can easily create a fun gaming experience for myself with these settings. I would much rather be able to choose which mode I'm in at all times. You start forcing me into certain modes for certain reasons and that doesn't work for me personally. I'm sure not everyone is like me though, so maybe there really is a sweet spot like your implying, but I just can't see it.

Womby likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

But you just defended the idea people should be let to choose what they want? And now you're saying its too bad if they don't get it.

Anyway, I'm not saying any modes or options should be taken away... just that they should work better for the average player.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm not getting your first statement at all tbh. What I meant to say was, I would love it if they can find a sweet spot that appeals to the majority, but I just can't figure out what that would be?

Like for instance I personally don't want to be forced into multiplayer right now in all towns like I've heard a lot of people suggest. In a perfect setup i think that would work great, but I'm not on a very good computer and I lag out like crazy when I'm in certain towns with a bunch of players.

I don't think we are very far off from each others perspectives, I just think I'm not getting my point across very well :/

Womby and Stundorn like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Adam Crow,

Yea, but I'm not arguing for removing any game modes, so I wouldn't force anyone in multiplayer.

But say, nobody (perhaps almost nobody) wants to run into a really tiny scene like East Perennial Trail and find 6 people there every time they enter. It doesn't serve anyone. On the other hand, 6 people might work in a large scene. And, also, I would be willing to say most people who want to log into MPO would like to see people in towns and on the map. So... I'm just saying the matchmaking logic for MPO needs to be more intelligent. I don't think its really a difficult issue in the end -- a lot of it would be just common sense.

majoria70, Zader and Adam Crow like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Except i think this is why the main PVP zones have high limits ( blood bay and shardfalls).
    All it really effects are PVP'rs hunting in PVE areas.. hoping other people flag on them. But thats the downside of PVPing in a non PVP area.
    Lol

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.