serius problem whith the current PVP thinking tread.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by wmidgard, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

If the devs implement character holding/weight limit successfully you won't be able to stock pile junk in your pack to PvP without risk of losing good gear your wearing or your precious gold. <];D

2. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

i dont know why everyone paniks when a dev mentions an idea for risk in pvp.. i think the ransom system sounds really really cool.
    PvP rewards you for killing someone and punish's you for losing. With the ransom system you exactly know the risk and its just 1 item, so its no "forced gamepause" when you die.
    Beside that it gives the possibility to use really worhty items, not just crap like most of the players did in UO.

Neocron had a system like that, and it was awesome! And noone screamed for more!
    When you die in neocron you lose 1 item, this drops in a container which other players can hack when he has the hacking skill. Beside this neocron had ONE safeslot for a weapon you absoutely cannot afford to loose.

The only problem with the ransom system is "how to punish someone who has nothing to loose" and i think thats just possible with statloss(temp.) and the completely loss of all ressources you gathered in the pvp zone.

Mishri likes this.
  3. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Good I am glad they are working on loopholes!

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

"How to punish someone who has nothing to loose"

You lose and you have nothing then you go into debt. You can not flag PvP until the debt is paid.

5. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

with "nothing to loose" i mean for example a miner who is in the PvP zone to mine rare ore.

When i think back to uo, all a miner got was some cloth and 10 worthless pickaxes :)

but maybe pickaxes arent worthless in SotA....

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You expect to be able to "gain" in a hex that is fully loaded with people willing to stop you?

7. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

My hope is, that not every PvP zone in SotA is completely packed wirth ffa deathmatch pk's ;)

so yes, i think you will be able to gather ressources in a PvP zone. And even when someone comes to kill you, when your equipment is worthless you can try oder and over again.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Areas with the most valuable resources will be the areas most guarded and contested. If something of value is present, it will be guarded.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  9. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

We will see! How would we know now? ;)

But still:
    The PK who is trying to kill miners, risks to loose good PvP equipment or money.
    The Anti-PK who hunts the PK's down, risks good PvP equipment or money.
    The Miner who in the background digging ore while everyone else fights, risks a rusty pickaxe :)

But i repeat:
    Maybe its not a rusty pickaxe.. Maybe its a gm pickaxe of stone slavery worth 1000 gold! I dont know! Its to early to know...

10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

It is that kind of static resource allocation that I asked Lord British about in a chat last year early on. That is kind of a good example of a game I'd rather not play because it seems too confined, too predictable. I would love for resource nodes to be completely dynamic. Just as I would like to see more skill go into crafting, I'd like to see it play into harvesting as well.

Then this is coming from traditionally a non-PvP player in RPGs, so perhaps I should back out of this PvP thread before I upset all of you with my crafter ways :p

Lord Baldrith and Mishri like this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I generally agree with you AvatarAcid, I'd like to, and expect to, see resources spread out, changing. One day they are good in this hex, next day they are good somewhere else. Move people around on the map, no permanent, this is our hex we are pvping over. Also, according to what they've said so far, If pvp groups are camping out all the resources in pvp hexes I'll just head to the non-pvp hexes. Sure, I wont get as many rare ingredients as quickly, but at least the lower risk areas I don't have to spend half my time fighting my way to them. (Fighting people anyway, I hope I still have to fight off elves and skeletons and such).

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is where the removal of full loot and going with a death based durability, res sickness, ransom system takes a different perspective than UO.

The miner (that can have combat skills in SotA) will die easier. Durability may be avoidable but the res sickness and ransom is not. If the miner can not get back to the corpse for a res then they will res at the bind point then take a short time out from PvP. The ransom will cost the miner. Either the few items will be given up to the looter or a ransom debt that must be paid. Don't have the gold to paid then PvP is not possible.

Sweetmcpwnsauce likes this.
  13. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Yes, I also agree that if you're a miner carrying around nothing but a pickaxe you should run into debt issues or make pickaxes have a seemingly rare-ish value. <];D

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would rather have this than have our stuff all wrecked.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is absolute!!! Every Resource gathered from a PvP zone should be 100% drop. This is part of the point in having these zones is to gather resources that are difficult to get. We should be able to loot those resources 100% of the time if we kill somebody who was mining it. OR if we kill somebody who killed somebody else who mined it.

ALSO there should be NO ransom on PvP zone resources!

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

GREAT POINT!

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Even if you think full loot doesn't work today, don't say DON'T DISCUSS Full loot here. This is a PvP thread. I still think we need another loot system different than the ransom system. I think the ransom system is FAR too much of a compromise away from full loot. I would rather have a loot system like Envy's or Ristra's

Owain likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If somebody get's resurrected I think they should have no negative side effects. The death sickness should be if the person does not get ressurected, and returns to life at a town or a shrine.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you are a miner with only a pickaxe, what about all the resources that he gathered? That should all be lootable.

Honestly I don't care about clothes, or stupid stuff like shoes and scisors and blankets. Let the guy run around naked. All I would want from the guy is the resources he was gathering which would be more valuable than anything.

In fact I doubt there will be naked miners, because they might want to defend their resources.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

After reading through this short thread... I'm amazed at how backwards this thread is moving. As far as creating the Ultimate RPG I think this thread takes us backwards.

It seemed like we were making progress a month ago for the first time in all of these PvP threads. Now it is like everything we discussed last month is out the window. IT is back to the same old narrow thought process PVE focused game all over again.

This game needs to be able to develop a good PvE environment, while keeping in mind the PvP component. Most games that aren't PvP focused, seem to have terrible PvP systems, because PvP is an after thought. IN fact the PvE minded people come in and create a system, and then after the fact they say oops I guess that really doesn't fit on the PvP side of things.

That's what a lot of these restricted loot systems do. Also increasing tiers of gear is another death bed. What about PvP skills... how will new players ever get involved in PvP at all. Why would they want to... OH LET ME GUESS... let selective mulitplayer sort out people who are at the same level ... NO!!! 100x NO. If we have to get sorted with people that are the same level as we are in PvP then something was designed wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.