serius problem whith the current PVP thinking tread.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by wmidgard, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

And, what if I kill this "miner" before he even gets to mining. . . Either debt or make pickaxes somewhat expensive. So in-turn make the miner still scared of death with just a pickaxe on. <];D

EDIT- I would love there resources to but if they haven't even mined yet I should get something. <];D

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

if he has nothing of worth, why loot him. Why should we care if he goes through dante's inferno? He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got killed. Let him revive. If you don't want the pickaxe don't take it. easy as pie.

Owain likes this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Well, real world areas that contain copper mines don't generally have a lot of problems with people stealing copper ore. It's too costly and difficult to for thieves to refine the ore. Purified copper is something else entirely. People frequently electrocute themselves trying to steal that stuff from power substations.

By way of contrast, diamond mines feature high security, because pilfering uncut diamonds is very easy.

People say they want there to be a reason for PvP. Historically, the control of resources has always been a source of conflict. If SotA makes the spawning of resources random, then there is no reason for player to seek to control a specific area, and a fundamental reason for players to PvP is lost.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also, still along the lines of a naked miner with a pickaxe... If he doesn't have resources to loot when you kill him, well he still is out of the picture as far as mining is concerned too. One less miner taking up resources.

5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I wish SotA would use a few different or find new and interesting ideas for PvP other than the already mundane formula of stashing stuff at a location so people go there. That would be refreshing. If it was story driven and had real impact to my character other than just red pawning me somewhere I would even engage. Just not in it for the resources at all :)

Yourself, wouldn't it be good for you and your guild if players of all types and levels actively sought you out to patrol an area while they do their thing in PvP designated territory, and those people not being low skilled harvesters only? I'm assuming here that as soon as these harvesters get in the game a bit and get some skill, they aren't going to be the same click to kill miners we see in UO, or simply buy resources to save time.

Though from what they have already said, I know there will be static incentives/resources/locations or whatever in order to coax players into PvP that normally would not do it for the fun, I just wish it was more groundbreaking than that really.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

What makes you think they won't? No reason why they can't do both. Why ignore the familiar, particularly since it makes sense to try to control an economic resource?
    You aren't in it for the resources, but others will be. Surprisingly, many participants in a multiplayer game will not be you. ;)

Again, there is no reason to assume both won't happen.
    I assume nothing, but as an Anti-PK, I'm won't be whacking gatherers anyway.
    Again, you assume that this is the only mechanism. I don't know where you are getting that.

7. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Assumption is not great, I agree, but it is all we have to go on in a lot of cases with the lack of information about how PvP will end up. I can only go on what we've heard, so I just assume that is how it is and will be until we get better information :)

I didn't mean to imply you'd be whacking gatherers, only meant to imply that you'd benefit as an Anti-PK from a wider range of people needing your services.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Still only pre alpha. LOTS left to be revealed, most importantly what kind of justice system the devs propose. There can be no Anti-PK profession without that.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The argument is lacking. On the one hand is the miner. The PVP people say if he does not want to lose anything, then stay away from nodes in a pvp area. Thus the miner can comply or he can become expert at both mining and fighting. He will have to balance the limited amount of skill he is allowed between the two skills. The pvp person on the other hand, at least in my reading, does not want to mine at all. He just wants to kill miners and others and loot. Thus he can spend all his skill on the fighting variety. He will always be the superior fighter. This creates a situation where the poor miner is simply fodder. Can you blame him if he complains about it? The equation needs additional opportunity for the miner. Either he should be able to use natural stealth abilities which don't count against his total skill allocation, or other things that will balance him to the lack of fighting skills available to him. With this type of balance, then the argument the miner hunter uses re: if you don't want to be killed and looted, then stay out of the pvp zones would be a valid one. As it is, the argument is lacking and meaningless.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

The KGB is setting up a city. If there are valuable resources in the hex where our city is located, we will claim those resources. Although we are an Anti-PK guild, I imagine that we would regard unauthorised access to our resources as theft. We will declare the KGB city as Open PvP, which I assume would extend to the rest of the hex. Trespassers poaching KGB resources would be warned first, but would then be subject to attack. KGB gatherers will be defended with lethal force.

Why should a gatherer expect immunity? They should either defend themselves, or rely upon guards.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There won't be resources in player owned towns. But that sounds like a good policy.

Hey if people come and kill your livestock, that's a crime though.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

12. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

you misunderstood my point in my first post .
    i do not want immunity or anything els .
    i am aware that wen i enter a pvp hex ( where the rare resources are more abundant ) that i can be kild by PKers.
    i am aware that i can lose the stuff i have on me.
    if you catch me before i can gather resources you will onlie have a few pickaxes to loot if i have harvested you will have the ore i was abel to gather .
    i dont really mind 1 item or full loot or watever system thy will use ( anything that is on my character wen i am in a PVP zone i am willing to lose ).

wat i do mind is :
    my bank shoud be safe.
    its the reasen the bank exist in the game.
    you put stuff in there so it is safe and nothing can happen to it.
    if you cant loot me ( no drop items or nothing of value on me ) you do not get to auto ransom my bank funds .

Gaelis likes this.
  13. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

... I can't help but think that engaging in PvP with absolutely nothing on you at all (completely naked) is like you're asking to be killed without mercy or remorse.
    Are you just looking for some kind of loophole to gain valuable resources without any risk at all? That's pretty spineless IMO if that's really what you're trying to get at.

PvP is a choice, and it should be important enough that it can't be chosen too lightly or easily. Scenarios like that with no risk except for time wasted is a breeding ground for bots and strange macros that end up drastically changing the momentum of the game.

I don't see any problem with the devs having the expectation that we'll have at least 1 item on us pretty much at all times. You would be silly not to with the currently proposed rule-set.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

I think that if full loot PvP becomes too watered down that there should be some super high risk zones where dragons, lich lords, and daemons can butcher you and grab all your loot. And you need to wear extremely powerful armour to stand a chance against them, so you have to throw on gear that is extremely valuable to fight them. So you could gain this extremely powerful sword required to beat the lich lord thats worth tons and was hard to get but you have to risk getting it looted to fight the lich lord. Not by another player.... but by the lich. I think that there should be a super high risk PvM mode if a full loot PvP option ends up not being there. Im talking super advanced AI and everything. And not only that but creatures that do fatalities on you like on mortal kombat.

I never really thought about that.... Perhaps we could be a pure PvM game and it could be amazingly fun, risky, and exciting. =P

15. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

no i am not .
    some of the backer rewards include even full sets of armor and weapons . ( which are protectid from pvp looting )
    i might have been wrong to use a resource gatherer as an example but my point stil stands .
    no matter the reasons or the why i am in the zone a PKer shoud never have acces to my bank funds .

for instance a tamer (whitout a pet ) can olso be in the zone looking for a rare criter to tame ( olso more abundent in those zones ).
    and if he is stil wearing his founder armor and weapons ( if he is ranged or magic and let his pets do the tanking the durabilety of thos items can last a long time ).
    then after killing him you will be abel to get XXX gold from his bank account ?

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

Oh I agree with this entirely. I should only be able to loot what a person has on them.

Just so you know, as an Anti-PK I will be protecting you, not attacking you. Unless you poach on KGB lands, but Isaiah is correct, that won't be a factor anyway. So, count on the KGB to defend you and not to attack you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.